Most Hardcore Type of Metal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SickDevildog, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Super death black flying icecream elephant metal can't get more hard core than that. Here are a few bands that do that style : Spasmic elephant, Runescape of the roach and my favorite Icecream monoxide of the quick tongue. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  2. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Yeah well done.
    Anyway. Only just over a month till Satyricon. Man i'm pumped for this.

3. red-tkd

red-tkd bloodred ridin' hood

going to see amon amarth some fine piece of viking invasion..
    hope i survive this though...anyone been to wacken this year?

4. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Thanks for all the replies fellas, downloading err buying some panthera as we speak ;)

5. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Hell Yeah. Awesome time. Except for the bus ride back to Itzahoe. What's wrong with you Germans? Haven't you grasped the concept of ques?! :eek:

6. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Bye!

OK guys. This will probably be my last post on here. So I figured it might as well be to the coolest members of MAP, right here in the metal thread/s.
    Went to Satyricon on Tuesday, was pretty bloody good I must say. They even did 2 encores! 2 ENCORES! Excellent atmosphere at that show. Whole crowd was shouting "Mo-ther-North! Mo-ther-North!" at the end of the show before they did their 2nd encore and played Mother North. Awesome times. I even ran into a bloke that I met at Cannibal Corpse a couple months back. lol
    Thankfully, some bloody legend put the video on youtube, so you can watch the video just after they came back on, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9b1Q24kF0]here.[/ame]

Oh yeah, I got all the Naglfar albums the other day. Great black/melodic black metal band. Its hard to describe them or compare them. But I spose i'd say that they're like Cradle of Filth if they actually made a good attempt at playing proper black metal and the singer got their balls out of a vice and the band came together to actually make a good album (so basically, nothing like COF at all, I know), and even then its still not accurate enough of a description/comparisson, because theres so many other elements in there. Just give them a listen and you might get my drift then.

I've also been listening to a bit of black metal and death metal from Eastern Europe too. So before I go, I recommend you guys have a listen to Negura Bunget (Romania), Thunderkraft (Ukraine), and Fleshgore (Ukraine). Theres many, many more that come to mind, but it'd take too long to list them. Those are just some that recently got and thought they were alright.

Anyway. Thats it from me. Feel free to email/msn me: <from the link in my profile>
    I'm out

Stay metal people...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  7. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Glad you enjoyed Satyricon. I will see them one day. Did they play The Dawn of a New Age?

Saw Fleshgore at Wacken too. Like One Minute Silence, but good.

Why are you leaving MAP for anyway?

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Grindcore, or Gabba infused Death metal all the way, plus Zyklon are pretty frakkin heavy too!

9. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

10. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I'm with you on sales figures, if sales figures were the test of quality here then pretty much none of the bands we're talking about would have been mentioned at all!

I disagree with you about Cradle though. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, not everyone will like everything. But with Cradle of Filth I very rarely hear actual criticism of their music as opposed to their image; most of what I've heard is "OMGZ they're not like tr00 black metal!!!!11" as if it matters. Even the criticisms that do focus on the music criticise things like the keyboards, the melody, the female vocals and the good production, but even these are black metal-centric ideas. A lot of people hate the vocals but people who say that usually dislike all extreme metal for the same reason.

I really think that if no-one had ever called Cradle black metal they would have had a much easier time of being taken seriously by other extreme metal fans. Conformity to the confines of a genre =/= quality music. As I say, I have actually listened to other black metal bands. Some of them are very good but some of them are terrible. It's not that they're too hardcore, it's just that their songwriting (and often their musical skill) sucks. In any other genre of music (besides maybe punk), or even other genres of extreme metal, this would be bad, but in black metal it gets you kudos for being "hardcore". I'm a straightforward metalhead before a black metaller, I mostly listen to stuff like In Flames, Arch Enemy, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera and Machine Head, so I don't have a preconceived notion of what a black metal band *should* sound like; consequently I think Cradle are far better than a lot of bands. As an aside I also think Akercocke are a great band that take most black metal bands on in their own territory (dark, evil atmosphere with brutal music) and massacre them ;).

Cradle are IMO excellent songwriters and good musicians, and their albums are consistently good besides the From the Cradle to Enslave EP and the mediocre Damnation and a Day. The music is atmospheric, well written and played with precision, the lyrics are eloquent, and yes, I actually do think it's heavy. You can't listen to tracks like the Rape and Ruin of Angels, Summer Dying Fast, the Twisted Nails of Faith, Lord Abortion or Ebony Dressed for Sunset and seriously try to tell me that they're not heavy.

I think in metal (not saying you here Sever) there is a bit of a problem with people not wanting to be seen to like a band that's too popular to be "hardcore". What truly matters is not the genre but the enjoyability. Cradle have been the biggest victims of this IMO. Ah well, horses for courses I guess, I still enjoy their stuff!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008