most effective throws for a taller judoka

Discussion in 'Judo' started by abnjj, Mar 6, 2019.

1. abnjj

abnjj New Member

just wondering if there is some lengthy judokas could give some advice here

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was told, that Uchi-Mata is a good throw for bigger (more height) people.
    Being rather small myself, I can't test it though ;)

axelb and abnjj like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Any leg reaping attack would be good hip and arm throws probably less useful as you have to drop your centre that much lower.
    O Soto gari, o uchi gari throws where you can take advantage of your length to push pull or load them onto one leg

advancing footsweeps etc as you can hit them at a distance that they can't on you lol

Hari and uki goshi over full o goshi as it's easier to get half hip in than the full one on a smaller opponent

axelb, abnjj and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Tai toshi

axelb, abnjj and Pretty In Pink like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Came say this.

Also sacrifice throws if you're confident.

axelb, abnjj and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I don't judo regularly at the moment, but back when I was, playing the range grip fight game, then either hopping osoto etc attacks, or tomonage /sumo gaeshi style throws worked best for me.

When your taller, it's easier to get the feet in the right position but you tend to have less force, so chaining leg sweeps etc helped a lot too.

But if I'm working with much better people, if I over play grip fighting then I just get launched hard, so I tried to limit always going for dominant grips, and just tried to not have inferior grips, if that makes sense?

abnjj likes this.
  7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Front suplex

8. abnjj

abnjj New Member

all great replies that I very much appreciate

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tomoe-Nage might be an interesting to use if you're lanky. Keeping your arms straight and then shoving a foot to the hip.....

May have to ask my group's resident 6ft 5-er to do it on me.

axelb and abnjj like this.
  10. abnjj

abnjj New Member

Thanks I have indeed tried it and did it a few times to smaller uke's it's a risky throw high ranking though but I am 6 ft 4 and seems to be a worthy throw for me to try hopefully perfect more myself!

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I resorted to leg reaps, sweeps, body drop the most. Definitely easier to get your feet in position with longer legs.

Hip throws I found harder to set up as you have to drop your hip further down to get the right level, but hand over the top round the back for those throws when you do them on shorter people.

abnjj likes this.
  12. abnjj

abnjj New Member

More good advice keep it coming if possible, Now I do like the hand over the top grip seems to work well for me but have not came close to mastering any throws from that exact position yet a it is a work in progress.