Most effective techniques in real life scenario - Top 16

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The difference between ground fighting and takedowns:

axelb, David Harrison and EdiSco like this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'd argue forklift defence or a level change and underhook and forearm/neck bridge would be almost more useful as the changes of someone hitting a deep low double in the street especially in the UK are low

Mangosteen likes this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Yeah but you still have to sprawl and get your hips back whilst doing it. One of the guys Chael used to train with would never wrestle. He would just do enough to hold off but not to counter. Apparently ithe was infuriating (and genius).

4. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Here's a good list:

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You don't need to fully sprawl you just need to match levels with them IE lower your hips to match there's

Sprawl is for when they are right in on your hips and you are in a dog fight to get out, not if they are at distance or shooting high

Your first line of defense is footwork
    Second line is hand and arm
    Third line is head
    Finally you have your hips you should only really sprawl if They are passed your first three lines of defense

EdiSco likes this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

I'd count a sprawl as any time you move your hips away. But I don't wrestle too much.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Fair enough, normally with a sprawl you would aim to get your hips to the mat as they are in deep so off your feet and putting your weight on them, I'd say with a level change you are matching their level but still on your feet and not putting weight on them

Normally I see a sprawl as a reaction to them getting past your defences

axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, it wasn't until you said the guy was targeting your foot/ankle that I realised it was a match.

Though, to be fair, he doesn't seem to get the fighting/self defence distinction. Different background and life experiences, I guess.

Personally, I don't think that's a good list at all. Not if you're talking about "real life" (weird way of putting it, seeing as sports matches aren't imaginary :p ) scenarios. Knees and RNC are the only two that I think could be viable for certain SD contexts.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There are very few things a solid right cross, delivered with evil intent and venom, can't help with.

bassai likes this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Although we all like a list so...

1: Pre-emptive strike of choice linked to a natural fence and action trigger (I like the passive clueless fence, "what do you mean?" action trigger and double hip slap...YMMV)
    2: Generic head "cover", flinch, crashing in "shield" for defence if the attacker attacks first

Follow up hand strikes if the pre-empt fails

3: Jab (I'd favour the palm for strikes but ingrained training and the fact I broke my wrist years ago would mean I'd punched instinctively so have to be honest with myself)
    4: Cross
    5: Hook
    6: Uppercut

Strikes if it goes to short range grabbing/clinch

7: Hammer fist (big clubbing simple strike that also serves me should I get access to a weapon)
    8: Front Elbow
    9: Front Knee
    10: Headbutt

Kick for if it goes to longer than punch range but still dangerous

11: Low roundhouse kick

In-fight clinch position that assumes there might be a weapon at play I don't know about

12: Overhook arm control on the dominant arm

Finisher

13: Stamp

Ground skills should I fall or get knocked over

14: Technical stand up/in base
    15: Upa ground reversal

My ultimate aim

16: 100 metres as fast as possible

11. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

In my fight experience, I was attacked by three girls who tried to jump me from behind, the one closest to me I knocked her to the floor with a side kick. Not sure if I got her in the chest or face, it happen fast but it put her on the floor even though I didn't have room to step into it. Then the other two closed in one me. I got one with a low roundhouse kick that buckled her knee, got her off balance. Then it gets blurry. I blocked a punch, got hit with another, counter with a front kick that got one of them on her abs. I was moving around then but couldn't get away from both of them. think I got one in her breast with a counterpunch. They lunged at me, I got one with a low sidekick to the knee that stopped her momentum but didn't really hurt her. I punched the other in her solar plexus. I think she got me with a punch to the face first, not sure. I followed up
    the one Id knocked down a was up now but she hesitated to come at me again. I remember throwing another low roundhouse to the leg of the girl in front of me, two of them coming at me again, girls cheering as if they were watching a rock concert, a whistle blowing from a CO in the upper tier. I got one with a spinning back kick that hurt her. She doubled over. the other , i remember her swinging on me, I counterpunched. Afterwards my knucle was cut, I guess from her teeth. The whistle blew again. The COs were getting involved.

After the fight my face was bruised id been hit more than once.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2017
  12. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I did my best but its kinda blurry in my mind. It happen so fast.