Most ducked.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by caveman, May 26, 2011.

1. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Ok, so I was brousing the web looking for reviews and opinions on Mike Silver's book "The arc of boxing". Found a thread on one of the boxing forums, this linked to an older thraed about the most ducked and avoided fighters ever.
    A man called Charley Burley was high on the fans lists and I found this vid. No great reason for posting other than the fact that it's just really interesting and informative. There is even a bit about western swordplay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4&playnext=1&list=PLBE71D8187FA3A886"]YouTube - ‪Charley Burley: Analyzing Genius‬‏[/ame]

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

"Too good for his own good."

After the death of Sugar Ray many considered Burley the greatest living fighter.

(Despite what a certain heavyweight may have always claimed).

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Beautiful video - the artistry of boxing is so often overlooked

Good find man!

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Awesome...if slipthejab were around he'd like this too.

5. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Very nice, thanks!

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I guess he is no longer around?

7. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Even if he left it would be several years before anyone caught up with his post count. Seriously, he ok?

8. 47MartialMan

Dunno. I wonder if anyone heard why he is gone

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I bet he's just busy. He pops off from time to time if memory serves.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You think?

11. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

He was training for a pretty big fight if I recall.

12. 47MartialMan

When was his last post?

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He posted a out two weeks ago if I recall

14. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

I think he may have posted on that thread regarding the genesis/founding of MAP more recently....

....I'm talking schizen, I defer to Moi's better judgement/memory

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmmm.... I must have missed this thread entirely. The book mentioned in the OP's post.. The Arc of Boxing by Silver is one of the best boxing books out there period. You can't really consider yourself a true boxing fan and not own a copy of it. Well written, well researched and with brilliant insight into how the game has changed over the years and why the current state of boxing is crap.

I'd say it's in my top 5 books on sweetest science. And that's out of an entire wall full.

16. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Yes, I've heard nothing but great things about it. But the price!!!

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Worth every penny. Seriously. It's so chock full of great insight and anecdotes... you'll just leave it on the desk because every 5 minutes you'll find yourself referring to. lol. Mines sitting right here. A must have if your into your boxing history etc. It'll drop some serious perspective on the fight game.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not cheap, but sounds like a great idea for a birthday present.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arc-Boxing-Decline-Sweet-Science/dp/0786438495"]The Arc of Boxing: The Rise and Decline of the Sweet Science: Amazon.co.uk: Mike Silver: Books[/ame]

19. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Wow, that video was awesome (how did I miss it?). The way how each part is broken down and analyzed, thats real gold dust right there. Old school is definitely the best school. The Boxers back then were as hard as nails, I now understand why my coaches stressed that I should watch and learn from the masters. They were technical beasts.

20. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Question for you slip. I've been going back over some reviews for this book and my attention was drawn by some mention of blocking techs in old school boxing that are no longer commonly taught. You know anything about these and if so do you know of any online pics that might clarify? Thanks.