Morik's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

45 minute walk on treadmill @ 2 mph, 116 avg bpm

quick workout: 2 high planks (now part of PT work daily, had already done other exercises earlier), 2 sets of 80 jumps, ~10 minutes on heavy bag (punching + kicking), 140 avg bpm

axelb likes this.
  2. Morik

Feeling pretty tired today, Morpheus recovery score is starting to slip into the warning zone.

Did my daily PT + chiro exercises: various shoulder things with a theraband, 2 30s high planks, dead bugs (10, slow), bridges (20).

20 minute walk @ 2mph on treadmill, 117 avg bpm.

I was going to do some stationary bike, but I'll do it tomorrow instead.

axelb likes this.
  3. Morik

I've been really spotty with workouts still.
    I did a few here and there...

Anyway, where I want to end up is:
    Training Muay Thai & BJJ ~5 times a week (generally 2 of one, 3 of the other). Goal with these is fitness, having fun (I find both striking & grappling fun), and maybe competing at some point if I can get myself into reasonable shape...
    Strength & Conditioning training to support that (Focus strength OR conditioning for an 8 week block, do some of the other for maintenance.)

Where I am now is: No significant training at all in months, and my general aerobic fitness is really poor.

Thinking about how to get there... I'll review the MMA conditioning guide by Joel Jamieson, and read some of his web articles.

I think the first thing I need to do is improve my conditioning. I may tweak the specifics of how to do that after reviewing Joel's stuff, but basically:
    Basic aerobic endurance first:
    - Start doing 20-30 minutes of low intensity aerobic regularly (basically any day I'm not doing something else, and maybe also on some days when I do other exercise as well). ~120 BPM or less. Walking, yoga, light swimming, shadow boxing, etc. Though some of these may get my HR over 120 right now due to my poor fitness.
    - Cardiac output 3+ days a week (40-90 min, 130-150 BPM)
    - Continue strength training 1/week, nothing in particular right now (well, targeting lots of shoulder/back stuff right now as advised for shoulder PT).
    - Try to find a good way to incorporate jump-rope so it isn't horrible when I go back to Muay Thai. Jumping shoots my HR over 150 fairly fast... I may either try to incorporate some sort of interval training (I see 'tempo intervals' discussed in some of Joel's articles), or maybe I can go really really slow I can use it as part of cardiac output.

I may add other exercises after reviewing MMA conditioning & Joel's articles.
    I'll measure resting HR & my HRV to monitor progress; once they improve to some threshold I'll reassess what exercises to do.

I should start back up with Muay Thai in February, probably at 1/week to start.

axelb likes this.
  4. Morik

I've had a cold since last week so haven't done much, but:
    - Starting to do shoulder PT exercises again (I was really bad about these over the holiday break, even before I got sick)
    - Got some firmer therapy putty for my left hand. (Ulnar collateral ligament injury that has been healing for almost a year now, the orthopedic dr I see about it says I should be good to do BJJ again in a couple months if I use the therapy putty regularly, and use a neoprene sleeve on the thumb when I start back to prevent it from re-injuring.)

Hopefully I'll be feeling better in a few days (its been ~5 days so far with the cold). I plan to do a combination of basic exercise (walking, yoga, slow swimming, etc), cardiac output (swimming or hill walking @ 130-150 bpm), and tempo intervals (probably with jumping as my fitness level makes skipping rope a fairly intense exercise, 10-15 sec work, 60 sec rest, repeat ~15 times).

axelb likes this.
  5. Morik

Feeling 90% better from my cold today, so starting in on my exercise plan.

Daily:
    PT exercises for shoulder, currently:
    2 sets of: 30 sec high plank with serratus engagement, 20-30 external rotation @ neutral with green theraband, 20-30 external rotation @ 45 degree abduction with green theraband, 20-30 reverse flies with green theraband, 10 y-flies with green theraband
    6-10 sets spaced at least 45 minutes apart each: 10 shoulder abduction (hand by hip -> hand above head, going mostly up, a little out to my side) with shortened green theraband (I keep making it shorter as the shoulder improves).
    (Therapist said to skip them on strength training day, assuming trainer includes a good amount of shoulder/back strengthening work.)

Chiropractor exercises/core strengthening: my back has been feeling pretty good lately overall, but I want to work on my core, it needs a lot of work. Currently:
    - side planks (chiro said to do reps of 10-15s, not longer ones, I forget why), at least 2 sets of 10-15 s per side.
    - dead bugs, REALLY slow (this is actually pretty hard for me by the end of the set), 10x per side, at least 1 set for now. (Chiro says going really slow forces the right core muscles to work, while trying to blast through them quickly will usually engage the back and other muscles.)
    - single leg bridges, sets of 5-10 reps, at least 1 set for now
    - 20 bridges (with both legs)

I'll try to actually do these daily.

25 minutes walking at 2mph on a treadmill today. (117 bpm avg)

axelb likes this.
  6. Morik

PT & chiro/core exercises.

Walked 45 minutes on a treadmill @ 2 mph, 107 avg bpm.

Avg bpm on the walk was lower by 10 bpm from yesterday, I wonder if that is because I am fasting? Yesterday I walked a little bit after lunch, today I haven't eaten anything.
    Not sure when I'll fast until; I wasn't feeling hungry at lunch time so just decided to start a fast. Maybe I'll eat later tonight, maybe I'll keep at it longer.

My left leg near the hip is feeling a bit off/tight; I should do some foam rolling/triggerpoint on it later.

axelb likes this.
  7. Morik

Fasted until around 8 pm last night, had some healthy food (salmon, veggies, beans, rice), then some more healthy food (nuts, cheese) and some ok-ish food (sweetened BBQ pork jerky), and then despite being pretty full, still wanted to eat more... and had a large amount of ice cream & some gummies... I think breaking fasts in the morning is better for me; I'm more likely to not go nuts with bad food.

Daily PT & chiro/core exercises.

25 minutes swimming; my right knee was bothering me. I stopped a lot to dig my fingers into my quad in a spot that felt pretty tender...
    125 avg bpm due to stopping so much.

10 minutes in the hot tub, 5 minutes in the steam room. I got a headache afterwards, maybe from getting too hot? Not sure, as I didn't push all that hard swimming...

axelb likes this.
  8. Morik

Saturday 1/12

My knee was worse today, and my back was feeling pretty tight & was catching some when standing.
    My trainer had me do a mobility workout today.
    He observed that when I was walking around & standing, I was letting my right foot collapse inward, on the same side as the knee pain. It is likely I was doing that while walking on the 9th & 10th. I'll need to think about that next time I'm walking.

Sunday 1/13

Slept really poorly (and only 6 hours or so). Didn't do anything.

Monday 1/14

Did some of the shoulder PT, but not all. Wasn't feeling like it, didn't make myself.

Tuesday 1/15

Down with a migraine, didn't do anything.

Wednesday 1/16

Did about half the shoulder PT.

Thursday 1/17

PT & chiro/core exercises.

3 minutes jump-rope (had to take a few breathing breaks for 10-20 seconds each).

20 minutes shadow boxing, keeping HR ~130-145. Avg HR was 135.

I've been fasting since I finished lunch, which was around 3 pm today. I plan to break it sometime tomorrow.

9. Morik

Friday 1/18

All exercise was in a fasted state.

Shoulder PT exercises, chiropractor & core exercises.

Walked 30 minutes, doing my best to not let my foot collapse inward. Avg HR 114 bpm.

Did tempo intervals on the heavy bag. First did 3 minutes of jump-rope (with lots of breaks for breathing), then 12 intervals:
    15 sec kicking the bag
    60 sec active rest (slow shadow boxing, slow footwork drills, etc)
    Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 9.22.10 PM.png

Grip training (Prohands/CoC):
    Crush 10 xx-hvy
    Hook 10x x-hvy
    Finger play
    10x each finger, medium
    tripod 2x10, light
    trigger 10x xx-hvy
    thumb press
    2x10x x-hvy, 2 buttons
    power pinch
    2x10x heavy, 2 buttons
    crush 10x xx-heavy
    coc trainer 8x (all closed)
    coc #0.5
    6x (left couldn't close any)
    coc #1
    4x (left couldn't close any)
    coc #1.5
    5 sec hold (left couldn't close)
    finger extension
    15x white, 14x green, 12x yellow

Broke my fast around 9:15 pm, 30 hours total.

10. Morik

Strength training

HR.jpg

Half kneeling single arm cable row (pulley, not actually this heavy):
    - 220 lb x 3 x 12

Tried weighted stepups but stopped after one set. Spent some time stretching & trigger-pointing right leg for knee discomfort (quad, anterior tib). Did a little on the left leg too, but not as much.

2 sets of:
    Black resistance band lateral walk (10 steps each direction), focusing on keeping my planted foot from collapsing inward.
    Half kneeling overhead kb press (16kg x 8)
    Bent over dumbbell rows, 25 lb (each) x 12

axelb likes this.
  11. Morik

Sunday 1/20

Just snow shoveling (not a ton, maybe 40-60 minutes?)
    No pt/core etc exercises.

Ate really poorly today (tons of sugar, lots of desserts, etc).

Monday 1/21

Haven't eaten today other than an apple slice (~1/8th of an apple), which I had as I didn't realize I'd be fasting. (I ended up getting busy and forgot to eat.)

Shoulder PT exercises (skipped chiro/other core exercises).

Swimming for cardiac output
    HR.jpg

Mostly did sets of 4 laps like this: freestyle, breast stroke, backstroke, breast stroke, repeat.
    Towards the end I started doing more breast stroke, I feel like I was pushing harder on the back & freestyle and my HR was getting out of the optimal range for what I was targeting.

Its almost 6 pm now, I'll probably eat in a few hours.

axelb likes this.
  12. Morik

I was just watching the Joel Jamieson conditioning blueprint DVDs (borrowed from a friend) and re-reading through the book and it mentioned this too--I need to lower my target HR for swimming as I am doing it lying down. For sitting or laying down he says to lower the target 5-10 bpm (bikes, rowing machines, swimming, etc). I'll adjust that going forward.

axelb likes this.
  13. Morik

Tuesday 1/22

PT, chiropractor, and core exercises.

PT exercises updated by PT (did the old set of exercises before my appointment):

Daily

Blue Theraband (was using green before)
    External Rotation at 90 degrees 2x20-30
    Internal Rotation at 90 deg 2x20 SLOW eccentrics with theraband OR free weight (~8 lb)
    Standing Abduction x10 (6-10x/day) (45-60 min break in between) (take up more slack on theaband)
    Y's 2x5-8 (lighter)

Green theraband (these still fatigue me):
    External rotation at 0 2x20-30
    Reverse fly 2x20-30

Prone on something (swiss ball or bench) 8lbs 2x20 Internal/external rotation , full arc

2-3x/week

Rows 20-30lbs Kneeling/quad 20-30 reps
    OH press 20lbs 20-25 reps
    Tricep kickback 8lbs 2x20

1-2x/week (she thinks my core & back issues/weaknesses may be contributing to the shoulder issues)

Walked for 26.5 minutes at 2 mph (113 bpm avg HR)

2 3-minute rounds of jump-rope (lots of breaks for breathing & leg fatigue), 17 tempo intervals hitting heavy bag for work period, light shadow boxing or lightly moving around for rest period.
    HR.jpg

I put on my bag gloves & did both punches & kicks/knees today on the bag. I was going to do elbows too but cut my right elbow open on the first strike... my technique really needs some work--I'm hitting ~1.5" up along my forearm, instead of with the point, and when I do it tends to rip due to psoriasis.

Spent ~4 minutes after I stopped the HR monitor just working elbows on the bag, touch contact, working on better form. I should do that more frequently.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  14. Morik

I had grand plans... Weds rest, Thurs cardiac output, Fri more tempo intervals, Sat for weight training, doing that 12 minute core/back exercise on the weekend, etc.
    I did do my daily PT exercises Weds (but no core/chiro).

\I got a migraine Thurs, and then lazied out Fri, Sat, and Sun into doing absolutely nothing.
    I plan to do 1 Muay Thai class next week when my membership reactivates (I'd put it on hold for the shoulder injury).

Today (Monday the 28th) I am planning to do PT exercises (daily ones plus the 2-3/week ones), core exercises, and tempo intervals on the heavy bag (~15 minutes).
    My HRV was low through the weekend & today, not sure what is going on with that. My eating hasn't been very good...

My heavy bag is coming down soon as I have some contractors coming in to finish the basement--I'm turning part of it into a martial arts/gym room (wrestling/grappling padded floor suitable for striking on as well, wall pads on part of it, ceiling hung heavy bag, etc). I don't really have a good space to set it up in during the construction, so won't have access to it for a few months.

axelb likes this.
  15. Morik

I did do the PT exercises yesterday, but did not do the other stuff.

My HRV & recovery score were somewhat low today as well.

Today I did PT exercises (daily & the 2-3x/week ones), some core exercise (planks, dead bugs) and jump-rope (2 x 3 minutes) + 10 tempo intervals. I spent a few minutes afterwards working on elbow form.

I fasted 21 hours, exercise was prior to eating.

16. Morik

Weds 1/30: Migraine all day...

Thurs 1/31

PT exercises (daily ones only)
    30 minutes walking @ 2mph (116 avg bpm)

30 minutes cardiac output method (HR 130-150).
    Started with 3 minutes jump-rope (lots of breaks still) then the rest of the time was split up between heavy bag & shadow boxing.
    On the heavy bag I went light most of the time, occasionally some heavy hits. I worked elbows with mostly moderate power (some a little heavier) and managed to not tear my elbows up for the most part (one minor bleed on the right one on a bad hit).

axelb likes this.
  17. Morik

Fri 2/1

Out with a migraine all day.

Sat 2/2

Sort of did some strength training... I tried going through that core exercise video with my trainer (posted a few posts up, given to me by the PT), and ended up deciding it was too advanced for me (I don't have good body awareness for my posterior chain). He also noted that my hamstring recruitment/awareness has atrophied.
    The only training I ended up doing was a couple sets of half-kneeling single arm cable rows and 3 sets of single-leg hamstring curls (which has my hamstrings really sore for a few days).

Sun 2/3

Nothing

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

2 migraines in a week :( I hope that eases off

Morik likes this.
  19. Morik

Monday 2/4

PT daily theraband exercises (green band: external rotation @ 0, reverse flies. Blue band: external rotation @ 90, internal rotation @ 90 with slow eccentric portion. 2 sets of 20 reps each, injured arm only. Blue band Y-flies: 2 sets of 10.)

PT 2x/week exercises, core exercises:
    15s low plank
    10 dead bugs (on each side), slow
    15s high plank
    5 single-leg bridges (on each side)
    20 bridges
    15s low plank
    supine external shoulder rotation w/ 7.5lb weight, 2 sets of 16
    15s high plank

15 rows (one knee on bench, other leg straight), ~25lb kettlebell, did on both sides
    15s side plank (right)
    15 OH press ~25lb kettlebell, on both sides
    15s side plank (left)
    12 triceps kickbacks w/ 7.5lb dumbbell

2nd set of rows, OH press, triceps kickbacks (15 on 2nd set)

30 minutes swimming for cardiac output: 128 bpm avg.
    Steam room for a while afterwards.

20. Morik

I get a lot of em, it is rarer for me to be out all day due to one though. E.g., last night as I headed to bed I got one. I think I spent a bit too long in the steam room (my HR was ~145 when I got to my car and thought to check it since it felt fast... it had been ~125 when I finished swimming). I had a mild headache from that, not bad at all, but then as I went to bed it turned into a migraine and kept me up a few hours. Luckily sleeping got rid of it.