Morik's Bag work progression.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Morik, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I did a few rounds of shadow boxing & bag work at home today, in addition to a bit of other exercise (which is in my regular training log).

I have a mirror off to the left, so I am generally trying to face either it or the camera.

I think the elbows looked better in terms of staying in my frame.

axelb likes this.
  2. Morik

I got interrupted so only half a round for the first one.

I'm flaring my straight punches, and not distancing well for them.
    I should be tucking my chin--I haven't been at all.
    I think my teeps are decent.

axelb, Pretty In Pink and aaradia like this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Valued Member MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is by far one of the coolest threads on MAP.

I'd say only two or three things for now.

Your back is too straight. You need to buckle yourself somewhere between your belly button and your rib cage. It's called engaging your core. When you do this you will start slipping punches correctly because the movement will be much smaller. It also helps with power generation and general body mechanics.

Another point would be focusing on your footwork and weight distribution. It should be most of your weight on your back foot most of the time, so you're ready to defend. Right now it looks like you're throwing a combination, stumbling a bit, then reseting. When you finish a combination you should immediately return to your stance,rather than relaxing and starring again. It's a habit worth breaking now rather later. Punch, kick whatever, reset, turn off the center line, start again.

You're Muay Thai vocabulary seems all there now, you can move from push, to elbow, to knee without too much thought process behind it. Your combos are varied and solid. Now it's just a matter of repping them out!

I wish I could come and hold pads for you man! You've got an awesome attitude for learning :D

4. Morik

I did a few rounds (after warm-up) trying to focus on kneeriders advice, though I wasn't able to keep my mind on them all.

I tried to keep my core engaged, but forgot about the rest for the most part, though I did move around a bit more than usual.
    I think this tired me out much more than usual; I had to take longer breaks than usual, several minutes. (40s plank after each round, then break)

I'm still flaring straight punches, I need to slow down until I get better at not doing that.

Also I should practice my switch stance more here, as it needs work.

My left knuckle still feels slightly off, and I think hitting the bag with just gels & bag gloves wasn't helping, so I did gels + wraps + 16oz gloves today.

I'm flaring my straight punches still; I caught myself a few times, but I think I went right back to it afterwards.

I tried to get off the line a lot, and that has me breathing hard pretty quick too. So probably good cardio for me.

I was thinking about keeping my weight in the rear at least some of the time, and I think I kept my core engaged at least some of the time too.

I need to work on switch kicks.

5. Morik

I did one round of shadow boxing & one round of heavy bag today.

I should be bringing my elbow up higher on some of the hooks.

I'm standing in one spot a lot, and mostly moving forward & back, I should move side to side more.
    I'm trying to rise up more on the ball of my foot when kicking. It is difficult though, especially on switch kicks. I should slow down a bit.

axelb likes this.
  6. Morik

2 3-minute rounds, one punching with a few elbows (stopped elbowing as I ripped open my right elbow... poor technique + psoriasis making the skin thin), the other kicking with a few knees.

I wasn't really focusing on technique, just getting some exercise in & seeing how this impacts my shoulder for tomorrow, and a bit of shin conditioning.
    That said, I see tons of technique issues watching these.

axelb and Travess like this.