More silat questions

Discussion in 'Silat' started by JKD guy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

I want to do silat, but I still have questions.

a. For example, what is the difference between serak and the other forms of silat ? [I have read that serak was invented by an Indonesian who only had use of one arm and one leg. Question: does that carry over into the training in serak, and how ??]. I live in Dallas, Texas, and the teacher here teaches serak, as taught by Victor de Thouars.

b. Does silat deal with weapons (knife, gun, etc.) ?

c. Are some forms of silat "stand-up", and others "sit-down" ?

d. Is silat just for infighting, grappling range ?

e. Is silat really that "deadly", or is that just the usual hype ?

f. Can I combine my silat training with kali ?

I would appreciate it if any of you could answer those questions.

Many thanks. :)

[PS - I used the a, b, c, d ... form so that you guys can just answer that way: a.:...., b.:....., c.:...... Thanks !!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  2. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Serak is known for its off balanceing techniques and use of levers, really good and nasty sweeps, throws, takedowns. How the club arm and club leg thing carries over is that many of the techniques are more hip oriented then arm or leg. Proper positioning, with a little offbalancing from the arms or legs, and most of the techniques could be done with just a turn of the hips.

Serak has knife, it also has staff, and stick(soempat? I forget what its called). Most of the empty hand techniques can be applied with the weapons. There is a gun curriculum, but I believe its for law enforcement officers.
    Yes, but pretty much all silat has low to the ground applications and stances. Serak can be a could system to get into clinch range and take someone painfully to the ground.
    depend on the system.
    Both, depends on the teacher.
    if you want, for example DBMA uses serak takedowns with a stick.
    Your welcome, I don't do serak, but I respect it. Hopefully you'll find a good teacher.

3. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

Thanks

Cool. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. :D

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

A lot of people have already mentioned that there are hundreds or even thousands of systems and styles of Silat. We're talking about dozens of ethnic groups spread over a huge number of mountainous islands with influences from several important cultures over centuries. It's a little hard to generalize.

Sera is reputed to have had a number of physical challenges. The stories don't all agree, but a defective arm and leg feature in the most common ones.

I've studying Serak a while and haven't seen anything like a set of one-armed, one-legged djurus. A couple things might have come from adapting a physically-challenged fighter's style to other students.

Serak as Stevan Plinck teaches it and as he learned it from Pendekar Paul de Thouars uses anatomical backup a lot. The arm reinforces the hand. The shoulder is ready to take care of the arm if it gets into trouble, etc. It also stresses principle over technique. With a little modification the physical movement can be applied to a different person's body. At a workshop some years back there actually was a student with just one arm. After showing a technique Mr. de Thouars would look at her, stick his cigarette behind his ear, put one hand into his pocket and show how the same idea could be applied to her capabilities.

That may be more a function of the particular teacher's understanding.

Does a bear perform sylvan egestion? :) The cultural assumption is that attackers will be armed; defense against weapons is integral. I haven't heard of a system that didn't teach at least the use of the knife, big knife, stick, and staff. The cabang(sai), whip, spear, shield, projectiles and regional or ethnic specialties are very common. Weapons aren't just the cliche "extensions of the hand". In many cases the empty hand is a modification of weapons technique.

Guns are part of some styles.

Different teachers introduce weapons at different times. Guru Plinck doesn't like to teach them until students have solid skills and he's sure of their character.

Yes. But for the most part a good pesilat will be comfortable standing or down low no matter what tradition he comes out of. Some systems and personal styles specialize. Sumatran Harimau is famous for its groundfighting.

Again, it depends. Serak happens to stress infighting. Other styles specialize different ranges and levels.

It depends a lot on the teacher, the practitioner and the tradition. In general, any teacher who makes outrageous claims for how lethal and deadly his stuff is is trying to sell you something. That said, there's an assumption in the good Silat I've seen that people attackers will try to hurt you and won't be fair about it. You have to act accordingly.

Many do. It's more compatible than a lot of other combinations.

5. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

Thanks

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.