More Interclub Video!

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Southpaw535, May 19, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Another interclub done, so another video to inflict on MAP. Today went badly. Attacking wise I think its better than my last couple, but my defence went to poop today and the bout got stopped eventually because I kept getting rocked. Technically I won because the guy got DQ'd for not sticking to the power level (which was a 2 out of 5, or basic sparring power) but I don't really count that as a win. My fault for not defending.

Was certainly an experience. Somehow went from laughing when I stepped out of the ring, to crying once I sat down which was on the embarassing side of things. I'm going to blame it on shock since that's the worst beating I've taken so far :p

Anyway, when I first started posting videos from interclubs up on here I said I was doing it as an extra motivation thing. Since I try not to lie too much, I'm keeping to my word and sticking this one up too. My advice would be watch it over dinner and think of it as entertainment tv, like you've been framed or something :hat:

For anyone who doesn't recognise me by now, I'm the sexy (although now less so) beast in the white shirt

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOVU6WTdrSc"]Interclub 3 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's definitely better. hands and feet working together, rather than pauses between hand and foot techniques.

I'd say it's worth sticking out a stiff jab or stab out that teep a little more. It'll dissuade those who come at you square on (like the guy in the video.

Good work and a step forward.

3. Southpaw535

Yeah I've abandoned my push kick quite a bit recently while I've been trying to work on hands and head movement. Should really start using it again.

Stupid question, how would I go about stiffening the jab? Just a case of rotating into it or taking a heavier step?

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Aaron ,

He didnt play by the rules , you tried to.

If he was dq then you won ..

His kicks were heavy and he wanted to intimidate you by kicking hard, next time up your power too.

Work your jab on a heavy bag .. try to make it jump as opposed to pushing it.

Keep your spirits up lifeis a continuous learning curve

Smurf

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Props for posting this, brave move and speaks volumes for your character. Nothing embarassing there. Inspiring to post a vid that you are not happy with, was debating on posting my next knockdown at the end of June. After seeing this I am definately look at posting mine.

Quick question, as it was supposed to be light were headkicks disallowed?

Good Job!

Osu!

Dan93

6. Southpaw535

My sprits are high dude don't worry. Can't wait to get back in the gym :)

Jab seems to be a major thing to focus on

Do it man, MAP's a nice place to post them. Good luck too btw.

Head kicks were allowed, just obviosly don't try to take your opponent's head off with one. I can't throw them without stepping out first anyway so it didn't matter to me

7. Hive

Hive Valued Member

That was frustrating to watch. The ref should have made it clear to your opponent/his corner early on with such a disparity in power used.

When under pressure it is imperative that you don't clam up and give him something to think about. Being probably the weakest fighter at my Sanshou class has taught me this! Keep jabbing :)

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

How much do you spar at a higher intensity during training, where you're getting hit with punches around the same level as that guy was throwing at the end? I know it sounds crappy, but you have to get hit quite a bit like that to learn how to deal with it and not let them take you out of your game. Rolling with punches (accepting being hit and relaxing your body, letting your head snap back with it) is also helpful but takes a while to learn. I don't know how your gym works with training intensity but it looked like you weren't used to getting popped? Other then that there wasn't really anything wrong.

As far as the jab goes, the 'stiffness' comes from the end of the movement in the hips. If you were to get up right now and stand in your fighting stance, stick your lead arm out to where it's about 4-6 inches away from the wall, then rotate your hips to touch the wall, that rotation in the hips to close that 4-6 inch gap is the power/stiffness in the jab. When you get good at the jab you can generate that stiffness/power quickly without retracting your hand all the way back, making you capable of throwing multiple stiff jabs very quickly because you keep your arm out (not the same as leaving your arm out hanging, which is bad). It's not so much about the twist, but your jab will sting more if you do the twist which is meant to make your two inside knuckles be the connection point with the opponent.

9. Southpaw535

That hard? Pretty much never. The couple times I've done the open mma sparring class there'll be a couple guys who'll go hard, but otherwise people keep it on a level equal to what you'll be expected to be fighting at, plus a little bit more.

Cheers for the jab info

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Fair play to you for posting this Lefty.

One thing that struck me as I watched the first round (and which your cornerman said in the break) was that you were stepping straight back and getting tagged. Try to work on stepping off the line rather than straight back. It makes it less easy for your opponent and gives you possibilities for counter-attacks.

I know that's really basic and I don't doubt for a second that you know this, but it's something that jumps out that you can work on to improve your game.

11. Ero-Sennin

Using my own common sense, I'll assume that from the 'levels of intensity' (1-5) that you're describing in comp/sparring means that you don't spar beyond whatever level they deem you fit to compete in at your gym. I wouldn't stress about getting rocked because of that, due to you not knowing how to deal with that type of force yet. Not only do you have to get used to being hit hard, but learning how to react back or hit hard yourself has to be trained quite a bit. It's what I emphasize is the difference in sparring with the intent to compete and just doing it as a hobby with people I train with who see others or myself sparring hard and are timid to get in the ring because of it. They're not going to be met with the same intensity because they don't need it. Once you start getting that kind of training in you'll do fine (or have a glass jaw and learn how to protect yourself a lot better :p).

Other than that, you made a lot of improvements from your first videos which is something to be proud of.

12. Southpaw535

Yep, sorry I didn't explain that very well.

13. Ero-Sennin

You explained it fine! I just have a hint of doubt with interpreting things correctly on the internet so I asked for more info. before I made my assumption. It's difficult giving a critique on anything over the internet without knowing the full scope of the situation. You have hours and hours of gym training nobody is aware of, technique weaknesses and strengths that probably didn't get displayed well, etc., so it's really hard to come up with anything legit. I'm sure you're at a point where you know what info. to take in and what to reject via the internet though.

Again, you've made leaps and bounds since your first videos which is a great sign. As long as you keep trying and don't let your confidence get crushed you'll do fine when you start learning to deal with higher intensity.

On another note, the jab I described is for Boxing. There may be some other things involved with the style of fighting you're doing that make what I described a little impractical at times since it requires your body to be considerably bladed to get the full effect. It would probably be better to ask your coach about the best technique to practice. Aside from that, training the jab to be a good punch is probably the same for any style that uses one form or another and that's to throw a ton of them during bag work/shadow work. I like to think my jab is good and I have some sparring videos posted in my 'Boxing Journey' thread where I make a lot of use of it. People in the gym and on MAP tell me my jab is great too. I got that punch strong by literally throwing 1,000's of jabs each boxing workout for 2 weeks straight, and once the 'muscle memory' was there I learned to apply it in sparring and I still probably throw a couple 1,000 jabs a week to keep it refined.

Aside from that, any technique you want to refine whether it be a kick, punch, footwork maneuver, slip or parry, etc, you have to practice the hell out it to refine it. I know it sounds tedious counting your punches in a workout but it really is true when they say "Once you've thrown 10,000 of a punch/kick it becomes decent, 100,000 it becomes good, 1,000,000 better than average . . . etc." (Or something like that). It's a measurable thing by volume, assuming you're using correct technique.

14. Southpaw535

The jab was something that I was meant to use a lot. The plan was to basically keep circling right and use double jabs and the jab cross (I have no idea if there's name for leaving the cross extended in someone's face?) and use being a lefty to smack the lead leg. Plus I wanted to get someone with that damn low sweep I tried at some point. What'sthat saying? "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face" or some such? :p

Forgot about your Boxing Journet thread. I'll have to give that another gand

15. Ero-Sennin

Oh, I didn't notice you were a stupid Southpaw. I hope you trip over your feet and fall on your face every day in training for not being normal like the rest of us :woo:.

If you leave the jab out in your opponents face you're in a position to keep the distance and set up a punch, you're 'blinding him' from your intentions. I'm not currently familiar with keeping the cross in somebody's face, but I can imagine it has the same idea as leaving your jab out to set something up. You have to watch out doing that because the other guy may be fast enough to get underneath it or come over the top of it. It's a tricky technique to master, and a lot more beneficial if you have more reach than the other guy vs. if you're at the reach disadvantage. If your coach has you doing it I'm sure he sees you being able to use it, so I wouldn't shy away from doing it!

Don't know anything about kicking really :p. Good luck with it though!