Moi Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitch, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The MAP members who have been around for a while will remember Moi, once known as Martial Dad, who was a prolific poster. He still has the second highest post count on MAP.

Unfortunately, I have to bring the sad news that Moi died earlier this year.

For those who did not know him, he was knowledgeable, mischievous, funny, mischievous, caring, mischievous, and mischievous. I bet half of his 24,000 posts were arguing with me in the TKD forum at one point :D A family member told me today, "Oh and don't I know about you pair lol and always a smile on his face when you pair were at it." :)

From a Mod point of view he was occasionally infuriating, and did I mention mischievous? But he was someone I grew to like a lot, despite never getting to meet him in real life.

When Koyo died, Moi changed his tagline to "Warriors live for ever x." I think that shows the real affection he felt for those around him.

The next bit is difficult, but important, so keep going.

Moi suffered from mental health issues, and it was these that claimed him in the end, he committed suicide at home. I can't tell you how sad that thought makes me.

His family asked for donations at his funeral to go to MIND, a charity that provides information and support to anyone suffering mental health problems. So if anyone wants to throw a few quid in their collection bucket in memory of Moi, then please visit this link.

And please, please, if you are suffering yourself, seek help. The MIND website has an option for urgent help right at the top, and MAP has a section of resources for those of us suffering here. Please reach out, get help.

Adieu Moi xx

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Sylverstorm, Anth, Lily and 14 others like this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That's very sad news. Always a tragedy to see someone lose their battle with mental health.

Rest in peace.

Simon likes this.
  3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

That is very sad news - My condolences to his family, friends and of course, those forum members who knew him better.

Has a charity been decided upon for next years MAP meet yet?

Travess

Mitch, Simon and Dan93 like this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We've yet to have final discussions, but I think part at least will go to MIND.

Simon, Dan93, Travess and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Simon told me after he heard - a sad loss to his family and to our community here on MAP

Mental health is so important and even with the strides we have made its still not talked about as freely as it should be

RIP Moi...you will be remebered fondly

Simon likes this.
  6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That is very sad. RiP.

Simon likes this.
  7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That's very sad news on many levels Mitch :(

Simon likes this.
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I find this so sad.

Mitch told me yesterday about Moi's sad passing and like the death of Koyo it affected more than I thought it wold.

Seems online friends are more than just names on a screen.

Moi posted pages of nonsense, which is honestly his own words, but he also had a lot of knowledge with a wife who taught Muay Thai.

I got the feeling that although he was mischievous he was a decent human being.

I'm completely on-board with supporting MIND, who are a fantastic charity who helped one of my own students when she suffered with depression.

Rest in peace, Kevin.

Anth and Dan93 like this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That cuts deep. May he rest in peace. :(

Simon likes this.
  10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes, sometimes they are indeed.

Thank you for the news, Mitch ... sad though it is. I remember "Martial Dad."
    RIP.

Lily and Simon like this.
  11. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

That's hit harder than I thought it would , I'd completely agree with Mitch about him being mischievous , but he managed to stay lovable at the same time.
    I'd like to take this opportunity to reiterate , if you feel the need to speak to someone , anyone , about any kind of mental health issue don't hesitate , do it.
    I can speak from personal experience it's absolutely vital that you reach out for help if you feel you need it and if anybody tries to down play it , that's their problem not yours.

Lily likes this.
  12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I enjoyed his mischief.

Not a bad achievement; being remembered fondly by people you had never met :)

Donation made.

Anth, Simon and Mitch like this.
  13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm sure we've all seen those videos where a bystander talks someone down from jumping off a bridge.

That's how I see a donation to MIND.

You've made a difference and helped someone you don't know.

Thank you, David.

14. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Condolences to his family and friends.

Simon likes this.
  15. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Very sad to hear the black dogs have taken another :(

RIP Moi - I hope you find the peace you couldn't in life.

Simon likes this.
  16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I remember him...Sad news. my thoughts go to his friends and family. RIP.

Simon likes this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Such sad news. I remember
    Moi was a character on this forum, and one always to speak his mind.

Such a shame and I feel that mental health are too often overlooked.

R.I.P. Moi

18. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

A large character on these boards and in the chat room too

Fondly remembered

RIP MOI

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Aww man, so sorry to hear about this. Cool guy.. much liked here.
    Condolences to all his family and friends.
    RIP

Simon likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

God damn it...I remember him being so proud of his kid that trained. A genuine funny guy that I got the impression would do anything for people in his circle.

axelb and Simon like this.