Moderation of the weapons forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Mitlov, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

So has it been decided that Polar Bear has unrestricted discretion to exclude from the weapons section discussions about weapons arts that he doesn't like? I'm curious where we stand, whether the weapons forum is basically Polar Bear's forum to include and exclude stuff simply as he sees fit.

Obviously this came up because of a discussion about SCA heavy fighting, a 40-year-old full-contact combat sport involving rattan sticks with an established rule-set, a well-established competition circuit, and formalized training sessions. Polar Bear excluded it form the weapons section (moving it to the "jokes" section of off-topic) because their techniques are not historically accurate depictions of life-and-death swordfighting, so in his opinion it's not a "martial art."

The problem is, that's not the definition of "martial art" as used elsewhere on MAP. MAP has a forum for taekwondo, for example, even though Olympic TKD clearly isn't an accurate depiction of life-and-death unarmed combat. SCA heavy is a martial art in the same sense that Olympic TKD is a martial art. And it involves weapons. So why doesn't it belong in the "weapons" section?

This goes beyond just SCA heavy fighting. Canne de Combat is a modern competitive French stickfighting combat sport. There's no question it's not a realistic depiction of 19th century cane-fighting; its competitions are downright acrobatic. Olympic fencing has moved far, far, far away from its roots in historical dueling, and that's no longer something even mentioned in training or competition. Contemporary wushu is a very popular competitive sport (forms-based competition) and has weapons forms. As Koryu sword art practitioners are quick to point out, in the popular Gendai martial art of Kendo, competition under the modern ruleset is an end in and of itself and is not meant to simply be a proxy for historical swordfighting.

As a practitioner of a combat sport involving weapons that's one of the many modern combat sports that doesn't try to recreate historial life-and-death combat, I'd just like to know "where we stand" in terms of the weapons subforum. Does Polar Bear have complete discretion to shut down threads in that forum because he doesn't respect the particular weapons-based martial art at issue?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think this deserves a decent MOD reply before being allowed to move on.

I will raise the question in the MOD forum and promise an answer. Not all MODs are online at once, so I ask for a little patience.

I am going to close the thread pending discussion, just so there isn't some mud slinging or false accusations.

I hope you all understand.

Edit. The wording above may seem like you are all going to mud sling if the thread is left open. That may be poor wording on my part and that isn't the reason for closing the thread.

Simon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Just to clarify the current situation, Polar Bear has stopped being the topic mod for the weapons forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.