Moc Kan Sent - Fla. Kung Fu Inst.?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by masterfinger, Sep 2, 2003.

1. masterfinger

masterfinger New Member

When I was 10 yrs old (about 32 yrs ago!) I studied Kung Fu from a gentleman named Moc Kan Sent in Miami, Florida. I was only with him for about a year. I think it was Choy Li Fut that he taught but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any info on him? I would appreciate any replies. Thanx.

2. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

masterfinger,

Never heard that name before.

I know there is a sifu here that teaches Choy Lay Fut that's from Hong Kong.He does'nt have a big school or anything.He starts out teaching CLF then when he see's that you are serious he will teach you Praying Mantis or Eagle Claw,but i've forgotten what his name is.

I'm not downing CLF those were his own words.I talked to him on the phone.It actually could be the name you're asking about? But it does'nt sound familiar.I could call and find out if you like?

jeff:)

3. masterfinger

masterfinger New Member

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the info.

4. Ismael García

Ismael García New Member

Masterfinger.Moc kan Sent ( Impenetrable Golden Wall)was a Cantonese Master of several martial arts, among the Chinese arts he knew Choy Ka(Gar), Hung Ka, Southerm praying mantis.Among the Japanese arts he taught Ju do , Karate do, Aiki do and Ken do. He left continental China just before Mao's revolution, next he lived in Cuba but he left just before Castro revolution, next he lived in Venezuela, and lived in México City until the Mexican government of the 70s forced him to train paramilitary forces, after that, to avoid linking this represive actions with the government he was exiled. He went to live in Florida where you meet him as a child. In Mexico he left disciples who later introduced "modern" wushu from continental China(Francisco Valles Quintana) and part of the traditional systems like Hung Ka from Hong Kong (Virgilio Sánchez González). His Family still lives in Miami Florida.

5. masterfinger

masterfinger New Member

Ismael, thank you very much for the information. I remember his son Frank was an instructor at the school also. His teachings have stayed with me to this day, and some of what he taught me I still pass on to my students as well. I will always consider him as my 1st Sifu in my lifetime of training. Thank you.
    Frank Monsalve'

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  6. Alex Vargaslugo

Alex Vargaslugo New Member

Greetings from Mexico City.

Hello to everyone at Martial Arts Planet.
    Regarding GM Moc-Kan-Sent's martial arts heritage, I've experienced it first hand: A very fast, powerful and effective street-fighting oriented Kung-Fu system.
    My Sifu, GM Raúl Díaz Córdova was one of his most gifted students and true heir to Moc-Kan-Sent's Wu-Shu knowledge and wisdom.
    Now a 9th degree Black Belt, and with more than 45 years of practice, Sifu Díaz Córdova tours around giving seminars and has spent many years teaching mexican police and military Special Ops. Groups, as well as the Estado Mayor Presidencial, the mexican equivalent of the US Secret Service.
    I´ve also been very fortunate to actually see some footage of Moc-Kan Sent teaching Kun Fu to his students and also performing Lyus along with his wife Mirta. He was one of a kind, take my word for it.
    When I told my Sifu about this site he was very pleased to know that there is people that, either trained with his Master, or has heard about him and his system. So if any of you would be interested in knowing more about Moc-Kan-Sent or my Sifu, please keep in touch trough this web site.

Choy-king.

Alejandro Vargas-Lugo.

7. Dash

Dash New Member

I was a student in Moc's school in Miami in the early seventies, I remember Frank and Mirta and Moc's little girl. I was in the low budget film he made. He was something else and his lessons are with me still.

D Dash

8. cccpull

cccpull New Member

I had the same experience. I was in the night class (around 1972-1974?), with Moc, Emilio and Frank and of course the Saturday morning class to practice the stunts for the "Deadly Touch". :rolleyes:
    I wonder what ever happened to that flick, was never able to find it. Would have been fun (funny) to show it to the kids. :)

9. Dash

Dash New Member

Movie

I was in that film, the part before the titles. One scene was dangerous..they ran out of flammable material and used gasoline on the last shot. We ran out of the burning building fast. After seeing the film, it should have been burned as well. Master moc was the best.

10. cccpull

cccpull New Member

It was pretty funny, but to be honest, I saw quite a few low budget Kung-Fu movies at that time that were in the same league. :eek:

Still rermember parts of the different "Katas". Moc was good, but the classes were lacking when he started to make the movie. It was a great time, though.:cool:

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

From my experience with Eagle Claw and Mantis (northern?) Choy Lay Fut is superior to both in training method and approach to combat.

Buk Sing is another matter altogether.... this guy sounds like all he knows is some basic CLF forms and nothing about the style!

12. Joseph

Joseph New Member

The Deadly Touch

I was also in the film, I remember a long night at Viscaya filming a Nuchacku sceen hour after hour to get it right.
    I started studying Kung-Fu under the great Master in 1971 and had the great fortune to work nights so we had classes monday, wedensday and friday at 11 am many times there was just master moc and myself. I was also in his Monday night Judo class what a great experience.
    Joseph

13. bandas_negras

bandas_negras New Member

Moc Kan sent in Mexico

Hello everybody.
    Moc Kan Sent was born in Canton, China and at the age of seven he entered tha Shaolin Temple. After some time and having passed the difficult tests he was accepted. At the age of 18 heleft China and went in order to train the Korean military commands to be ready for the World war. Once he completed this task, he went to Puerto Rico and Cuba and a few years later, he c ame to Mexico where he was famous for his talent at throwing knives. He was first introduced in TEATRO BLANQUITA and the TV demanded his services for demonstrations. He also appeared on a TV show "EL AUDAZ" and in the 70s he went to the USA where some of you met him.

If it's true that some pepople trained with him, only five of his disciples completed the training with him. The "Five Fighting Dragons" as he usually called them and Efrain Ponce Sibaja was one of them. Before going to the USA Moc Kan Sent recommended the five fighting dragons with a secret Chinese society which gave the order to train them. Master FONG CHAN LI wa chosen and after being in the jungle of Chiapas for 1 1/2 years, on January 6, 1975 Efrain Ponce SIbaja was baptized Si-Tai-Gun Golden Dragon and founded our school ASOCIACION NACIONAL BANDAS NEGRAS DE KUNG FU in Puebla, Mexico. Moc Kan Sent was an expert in 55 kung fu styles and Efrain Ponce Sibaja mastered 21. So, that's the true. My master is glad to know that Master Moc Kan Sent was met in the US, because he was his GRANDMASTER'S GRANDMASTER.

Hope this information is useful.

14. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Master Moc Kan Sent

bandas_negras,

Thank you for the information you provided,
    There are many stories and legends about this great man; I had the privilege of experiencing some of them first hand. During the five years (1971-76) I was with him I spent numerous hours and was privileged to be his assistant instructor for his morning classes.
    Master Moc also shared many stories of his time in Canton and Cuba I was dedicated then I am dedicated today his memory and teachings live on.
    Please give my very best regards
    To your Master we share a common bond.
    My best regards
    Joseph

15. bandas_negras

bandas_negras New Member

Hi and happy new year

Yes, you're right: There are many stories about this great man, and I've already given your regards to my Master. As I told you before, Master Moc was invited by Mexican TV to perform demonstrations with Shaolin animal movements and he took part in Judo competitions; his victories were a lot. In the KWANG-HWA PUBLISHING COMPANY TAIPEI REPUBLIC OF CHINA there's an article about him. In it, they talk about him as the INSPIRED one. My Master had that information and we have a photo of Master Moc as well. So, whta style did you learn with him?

Hope to hear from you soon
    Best
    Gerardo

16. lotoblanco

lotoblanco New Member

moc kan sent

hola buen dia
    espero se encuentren muy bien
    les escibo por que quisiera saber muchas cosas del gran maestro de kung fu MOC KAN SENT
    ya que yo practique kung fu y me dicen que el que introdujo el sistema que yo estudie es el maestro MOC KAN SENT

HE escuchado muchas cosa de el

por ejemplo una que filmo una pelicula la cual me gustaria tener una copía d ela misma

otra que su suistema es muy efectivo

de antemano les agradesco los informes que me puedna dar

unsaludo y una barzo

17. lotoblanco

lotoblanco New Member

hello good day I am of Mexico if someday you come to the DF with taste podre enseñarte kung fu I am of the lineage of MOC KAN SENT

18. lotoblanco

lotoblanco New Member

personal email removed
    Welcome to the forum Lotoblanco, unfortunately I've had to remove your email address as per the following

1.4 Posting Personal Contact Information (Address/ Phone Number):
    Members may not post personal contact information such as home address, work address, home telephone number, work telephone number, email address etc., in the public forums.
    1.4.1 ANYONE, including guests to MAP, can read the public forums - this policy is in place for YOUR safety and protection.

Also with your first post

4.2 Language:
    MAP is an English speaking forum. Please take the time to post in plain, legible English.
    4.2.1 This is not a mobile phone text service – you do not need to use abbreviations to reduce the length of your post. It makes it hard for ne1 not used 2 txt sp34k 2 read wot u r saying.
    4.2.2 Asian characters such as kanji and kana must be accompanied by an English translation

I understand if English is not your first language, please do your best. If you are unable to understand the rules, I'm sure there is a MAP member than can translate for you.

Many thanks.

Mushroom

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  19. bandas_negras

bandas_negras New Member

La información que tengo de Moc-Kan-sent

Hola amigo si estas buscando información sobre Moc-Kan-Sent tengo una que es una biogrfia de él. Parecida a lo que otros han dicho pero según esta él fue un monje en su niñez, bueno la transcribo:
    "Mok-Kant-Sent nació en Cantón China, a los siete años de edad golpeó las puertas del famoso templo Shao lin dfespués de las duras pruebas de rigor, fue internado en el seno de la más pura y hermética logía filosófica China. Al cabo de algunos años de ejercicio y de absorber conocimientos alcanza el rango de sacerdote Shao Lin. en una publicación del KWANG-HWA PUBLISHING COMPANY de TAIPEI REPUBLIC OF CHINA dedica un articulo hablando de él como el inspirado. A los dieciocho años de edad sale de China siendo elegido para cumplir con la misión de preparar a los comandos de Corea para la segunda guerra mundial, una vez cumplida su misión sale con destino a Puerto Rico y Cuba. más tarde llega a México, siendo el primer lanzador de cuchillos que tuvo el suelo mexicano, es presentado por primera vez en el teatro Blanquita. La TV solicita sus servicios para hacer demostraciones de formas imitando los movimientos de los juegos y la forma de pelear de los animales, asi como manejo de las exoticas armas chinas. Participó en competencias de Judo siendo innumerables sus triunfos. Es reconocido como el mejor competidor junto con dos de sus compañeros contemporaneos, los profesores Daniel Hernandez y el extinto profesor Cinturón negro segundo dan Felix Sosa, más tarde hace uno de los papeles estelares junto a Aldo Monti en el programa " El Audaz".
    Los grandes conocimientos que posee abarcan 55 estilos de Kung Fu."

Bueno amigo esa es la biografia que nos dejara nuestro maestro Gran Dragón Efrain Ponce Sibaja quien fuera discipulo de él y que el mismo Mok-Kant-Sent recomendara junto a otros cuatro a la Logia China para someterlos a entrenamiento. Parecida a lo que han dicho solo que repito nadie habla de la version de que fuera un monje. Mito o verdad. Eso es lo que tengo espero te sirva.

20. snoopy

snoopy New Member

Hello, does anyone know where I could find a copy of the Moc Kan Sent film "The Deadly Touch" from 1974? Any information on the movie is much appreciated. Thank you.