MMA News & Rumours

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Apotheosis, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Not sure...it was probably just a publicity stunt or Pride messed it up like they tend to do.

2. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

What happened to the Joe Rogan and Wesley Snipes thing?

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Wesley Snipes never had any intention to fight Joe Rogan.

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

If I remember right, Tyson, as a convicted felon, wasn't allowed into the country.

And regarding Rogan... is that dude on the juice or what? Damn... he's so big now, it looks like he can hardly breathe.

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

That was for K-1 when they wanted him to fight Sapp...Pride was reportedly going to have the fight take place in Macau, China.

No idea if he juices, it could simply be a result of him working out a lot as he really loves MMA and fighting...add that to a ton of money to hire the best trainers and nutritionists and anyone could be ripped.

He would totally destroy Snipes though...would be very short.

6. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

awww I really wanted to see Tyson vs Sapp :(

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Cage Rage apparently has a tv deal...no idea what channel though, they say the April 21st show will definitely be on tv for the April 21st show

Source

8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Rumor has Big Nog signing with the UFC(or "transferring"?)..he was sitting at ringside with Dana White and while some expected an announcement last night others are saying it will happen at the PPV tomorrow...

Very interesting since some other rumors have Big Nog 80% blind in one eye, I hope this proves that his eyes are fine...

9. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

i'd love to see big nog tool those muppets in the ufc heavyweight division, just like crocop will. this might mean we get a crocop vs big nog rematch :D

10. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That's not necessarily true since the source in that link, by its own admission, isn't from a rock-solid foundation
    That said, if it's even remotely true, the Crocop/ Nog rematch may still happen, but it sure as hell won't be in a US sanctioned event. If Noguiera's eyesight's impaired in any serious way, the UFC won't let him within a mile of a US-based sanctioning body - more than ever since the Fertitas now own Pride. If an SAC deny him a licence in the US, he's also "expected" to not fight anywhere else

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Which is exactly why I view him being with Dana as a good sign....it really seems like he is going to be joining the UFC(probably at 69) and surely Dana would have made him pass a physical to make sure he isn't blind especially with his past eye problems

I cannot honestly think of another real reason he would be hanging out with Dana...

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Word from the Wrestling Observer newsletter is that the K-1/ EXC/ Strikeforce/ Cage Rage/ Just-about-anyone-else-that's-not-owned-by-the-Fertita's alliance have scored Pride HW's Josh Barnett and Sergei Kharitonov and the two will be facing off at the LA Coliseum show. According to Meltzer (the newsletter's writer), K-1 submitted the following card to the CSAC for their approval

PPV Card
    Brock Lesnar vs. Chong Man Hoi
    Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    Johnnie Morton vs. Dos Caras Jr.
    Josh Barnett vs. Sergei Kharitonov
    Mighty Mo vs. Choi Mu Bae
    Caol Uno vs. Josh Thompson
    Hideo Tokoro vs. Brad Pickett
    Javier Vazquez vs. Kazuyuki Miyata

Showtime Card
    Jake Shields vs. Ido Pariente
    Gina Carano vs. TBA

It's a great pair of signings for this association if it's true but a serious blow to Pride's already decimated HW division. Barnett has complained about the unified rules already and has little love for the UFC, and Sergei doesn't go by the nickname "The Russian Mercenary" for nothing; that boy will fight for whoever pays him
    That said, the supposed Royce/ Saku rematch makes me think that there's something fishy about this since Saku appeared at the last Pride event, but it'd be great to see those two fight again

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  14. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Barnett complains about unified rules, but is still willing to fight in California under those rules, with maybe the absence of elbows?

He doesn't hate the unified rules. He hates the UFC.

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hmm, i'd love to see the gracie and the barnett fights.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

The EXC/ K-1 rules don't use elbows so they're not exactly the same, but your point's fair. The context in which he complained about the unified rules was that he didn't like the way that they were being installed in the place of Pride's previous ruleset that he considered superior. I have to say, I agree with him. I just added that comment to provide a bit of back-story that adds credence to this rumour - he was the most vocal of the Pride fighters opposing the changes. I'm not shocked that he may have looked around for other offers.
    While he may be fighting occasionally in America, assuming this is true, I'd imagine much of his work will be done in Japan under the K-1 Heroes banner where the ruleset is similar to Pride's old one (though it doesn't allow stomps)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Very interesting, seems like Barnett really has a dislike for the UFC and wishes to stay away from them

18. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

So Sherk is now reportedly going to be ringside with Dana and the Ferttita brothers at the Mayweather-Hoya fight...

Even though on Beatdown he said he wouldn't be watching the fight on tv and gave all the proper respect to Floyd...

I hope Dana doesn't pull something really dumb

Source

19. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Boxing's going pro wrestling style.

Odds are, de la Hoya will lose. But Oscar's been neutral on the whole MMA thing, unlike Floyd.

I say that at some point, Oscar will look like he's in serious trouble.

Dana will then order Sherk to step into the ring WWE style, catch Floyd in a takedown, and Oscar will pound Floyd out for the TKO.

Oscar wins, Sherk looks like the man, Floyd gets embarassed, and the fans are pleased. :D

20. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Ha!!

I have to admit I went through a similar scenario in my head...

Oscar has actually been pretty positive towards MMA, trained with Diego and when asked about it he had nothing but good things to say