MMA, Krav Maga, Traditional Martial Arts And My Philosophy Of Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by UserName0, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The guy doesn't know anything about setups, so probably not the best source. If you're not wearing boxing gloves and shelled up there's plenty of space to get a hammerfist through. Also people who attack you typically don't have a great guard.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Can you post a link to the reaearch saying MMA is worse for head trauma.

I would have thought logic dictates that as MMA isn't all about head and body shots the figures would be lower than for boxing.

In regard to the blood born diseases my arguement is that the risk of catching one is so low that it wouldn't register in my teaching.

Can you provide proof that blood born diseases do pose a high enough risk that we as martial artists should be taking the subject seriously?

The risk of being in a situation where you may have to defend yourself is low.

Not all of those situations are going to go physical and even less are going to result in bloodshed; so with that said the risk of catching a disease from a self defence situation is minimal at best. That is unless you can prove otherwise.

Self defence systems should not be based on fear, but on understanding.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You pretty much can't contract HIV in the way described, you can catch hepatitis but you can catch hepatitis from wrestling. If you're concerned about hepatitis type B is easily vaccinated against (and if you're in corrections you should be :confused: ) and C is in most cases not that serious and is treatable.

4. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

After reading your whole post I got the impression that you simply had bad experiences with striking arts and now believe what you experienced is the only way to train them. All the competitive fighters I know don't spar full contact that often. There is no way they're sparring hard multiple times a week. My previous instructors (aged 50-60) used to be full contact fighters and no-one of them got any brain injury. You'll find out it's the same in most gyms.

5. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I understand the point the original poster is making. I get that he is questioning whether the self-defence benefits of hard sparring in MMA are worth the damage done by the training itself, which is a concept I have grappled with myself in the past.

However, I just found this article on google:

http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp

I note the following trends in this article:

* Professional boxing is considerably worse than amateur boxing.
    * In professional boxers, the incidence of neurological dysfunction seems to correlate with the length of their careers.
    * Amateur boxers show some signs of neurological dysfunction, but no more so than other athletes, and it didn't change much when you looked at amateur boxers with long careers vs those with short careers or those who just trained without competing.

Bearing in mind that even amateur boxing involves far more head shots than MMA does, that sparring hard several times a week is unusual in MMA, and we are talking here about taking classes for recreational/self-defence purposes... the risk is fairly minimal, isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

First welcome the forum.

Now im not going to go line by line, but you start off by decrying mma training, then go on to describe a mma system as your training solution?

What you have described is mma, sorry, striking+grappling=mma...

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Timmy! When did you get back?! Good to see you.

As far as the OP, JKD's two primary targets actually are the eyes and the groin, according to the Tao of JKD. I'm not sure I get the point about escalating. Are you saying that, if you're taking a "casual beating," you should stick to schoolyard rules? I'm not sure how tagging someone in the bean bag is escalating. Getting hit in the groin is kinda par for the course. Happens all the time, if you believe "America's Funniest Home Videos." I don't see how that's any more dire than punching someone in the gob.

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

In fairness, I think the striking component of his proposed training solution is a fair bit less intense than what you would get in an actual MMA club and therefore less risky. Or so the argument goes.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Attached Files:

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*growls*

I wake up, log on and now I have to grab a big coffee...this could take some time

However, as many have echoed you are reinventing the wheel. Taking your hammerfist example, if they "guard up" then NO strike will work in isolation.

Hammerfist (or a variation i teach called a "hack-fist") if blocked can be used to open something else. The problem is not the arts or even the techniques, its your training method - its clearly sub par

Train under pressure, perform under pressure

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So you trained for two years by going allout in sparring, got headaches from not training smart. Tried a bjj comp (did you train bjj though?) and didnt do well, that my friend is not a lot of experience.

12. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I wish that I had time to comment on this.

13. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

OK got some time. Wow what a post right. OK I'm going to start with talking about some combat principles that could shed some light on op's hammer fist issue. The hammer fist can be a tricky tool to use but it works just like the name implies, the angle of attack is a big issue with the hammer fist, I like to use it right after a cross punch, so if I throw a right cross and have an attacker at my back I can use a right hammer fist this uses a ton a ton a ton of rotational force, your shoulder your feet , hips and even your knees all generate power when using your hammer fist, end parker called it marriage of gravity, so buckle your knees down hard like when you Bob and weave and you can turn that hammer fist into a serious weapon for handling multiple attackers.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

prevents him from reaching for any other potential weapon, trying to recover his own knife, or reaching for the gendarme's. when someone has a fricking xbawks-huge hunting knife tucked into their waistband in the middle of a train, you don't exactly want to stay around chatting to see why the guy was carrying it :p

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

By the sounds of it, what you lack is decent head movement.

16. UserName0

UserName0 Valued Member

As I've already said we only sparred hard multiple times in a week leading up to an event. I often sparred guys who were getting ready to compete.

17. UserName0

UserName0 Valued Member

No, this is similar to what the traditional martial arts people I know say (that I need to learn to cover up). If you do MMA your going to get hit. That's just the way it is. Being hit in the head causes brain injury and the accumulated effect of this is early onset dementia. Just look at muhamad ali in his later years. There seems to be a bit of wishful thinking from the MMA guys here. I'm not against MMA, I just don't think we should sugar coat it.

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im curious whether repeated submission training has a negative effect on joint stability... because that would be on similar lines of not punching each other too much.

19. UserName0

UserName0 Valued Member

I'm no doctor but, from what I understand hepatitis can cause serious kidney and liver damage. And, yes, I am vaccinated against it. Although I had to pay for it myself...

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ali has Parkinson's disease, which isn't the same thing as dementia by a damned long way, and probably came more from damage to his spine due to his excessive clinching, than the number of strikes he took, and on the strength of a decade of amateur boxing, i am telling you, learn to move your head and you won't get as many headaches, getting hit 10 times in a round is going to do a hell of a lot less damage than getting hit 100 times.