MMA in DC

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tekkengod, May 6, 2006.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

We got orders to DC and I'm outta here on the 20th of this month. anyone know of a decent MMA club in the area? anyone IN the DC area? DC's alot bigger than killeen so i know there'll be more than a few but anybody whose been around the clubs/or the area with info would be appreciated. :cool:

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

isnt there a tekken tournament in DC soon? maybe you could go and win an actual trophy!

oh snap!

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Hey, Tekk!! You'll practically be in my backyard!!!

Send me a PM when you're in the area, and I'll be happy to play Junior Tour Guide around the DC sites for the day (if you promise not to debate everything I say :D ).

DC is a major metro area, and it is probably only 2nd to LA in how far it sprawls/spreads. If you are getting orders to the Pentagon, for instance, you might end up living anywhere in six or seven surrounding counties or in the District. Like any major metro area, you will have LOTS to choose from in MA, so you're probably better off waiting until you know where you'll be living, and seeing what is close to that area.

There are LOTS of MA tourneys every year in the DC area, and you are close enough to Baltimore that, for special events, you can participate in those tourneys, too. You will also find state tourneys close enough to participate in, in DC, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, and maybe Pennsylvania (hey, states are smaller on this side of the country).

Keep me posted on when/where you're moving.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Whats orders? :confused:

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I think it means that Tekken's Dad is military, so he has received new orders for a permanent change of duty station. Since Tekken's location is listed as Ft Hood, I'm assuming his Dad is Army, so he'll prably be stationed in the Pentagon, or Fort Meade, or Ft Myers, or one of the (many) other military establishments near the nation's capital.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There are a few options. Off the top of my head, here are two that are DCish:

http://www.lloydirvin.com/
    http://onespiritmartialarts.com/ (where the muay thai is taught by MAP's own Khun Kao)

I'm about 10 minutes outside DC myself. Though I'm not really MMA in any meaningful sense.

Stuart

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Thanks owen, i'll look into those.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sure. A friend of mine trained with Lloyd Irvin. He only had one MMA match (which he won soundly). But he's very well ranked in BJJ competition. I know several of his other guys are as well.

Stuart

9. XTRA ORDINARY

XTRA ORDINARY Valued Member

10. Alerten22

Alerten22 Moved on

Master C.C Liu
    Wah Shing Kung Fu
    815 7th Street N.W.
    Washington, DC 20001

teaches Tai Chi and Bagua i do believe. i know he is a good teacher. I can not vouch for how good he is. (meaning if he is the best of the best) But more then good enough to teach.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I did a couple of trial classes with this class. REALLY liked it. But the timing never worked out. Are they big into MMA though? I was under the impression they were pretty strictly the jiujitsu. (Again, though, I've only been a couple of times.)