MMA fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by vampyregirl, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

David Tank Abbot wasn't a martial artist, just a brawler. He did compete against martial artists in the cage and beat some of them, although he did get his ass handed to him more than once. Here a great fight he was in down in Brazil. [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDJO7J4Drw"]Tank Abbott vs Pedro Rizzo - YouTube[/ame]

2. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I dont think it's fair to portray Tank like that, he would KO most supposed martial artists even if he would struggle against decent level modern mma fighters. He was good for the sport.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Was it even called MMA when Tank was doing his thing back in the day?

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

got to disagree, tank is overrated in my opinion even by old school mma brawler types standard.

5. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

What I mean is he's going to KO most karate and kung Fu 'masters' who has never sparred or fought in their life.

He got in the cage with anyone and did ok by old mma standards. I dont think he should be ridiculed, that's all.

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Yeah MMA has evolved a lot since the 90s. When Shamrock and Royce Gracie made comebacks they found out that old school stuff just don't cut it nomore.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

If thats what she meant by martial artist then yeah kind of goes without saying, maybe I misread but I assumed she just meant fighters who had some proper training.

he was tough theres no denying that.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

theres nothing particularly outdated about what royce and ken brought to the table in the 90s it just doesn't work on its own nor does it catch people off guard any more.

9. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Battlecage Extreme Fighting 2, i have the DVD, been meaning to upload it on youtube. Anyway here is one of the fights. A Wing Chun master got OWNED by Igor Zinoviev, a Sambo and Judo champion. This Falkner guy is a 7th degree black belt but his style just didn't cut it. [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHbHcrfWy4"]Steve Falkner vs Igor Zinoviev.avi - YouTube[/ame]

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Where did Steve Falkners fight record come from?

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I liked Igor, shame what happened to him...

Anyone know if he did anything after his fight with Shamrock? He just kinda disappeared.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_uXrvINMvU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_uXrvINMvU[/ame]

12. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Being 11 pounds lighter than the other guy probably had something to do with it as well. :p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  13. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Well, that "just a bawler" competed in wrestling at the high school and college level, and was no stranger to the boxing gym. My oppinion, shared by many here, is that boxing and wrestling are martial arts, which would by definition make Abbott a martial artist by virtue of practicing them. Unless you've got another definition in mind?

Spot-on about Royce, but incredibly short-sighted in regards to Shamrock. Royce was a ground-fighter who relied on the gi and the elimination of time-limits. He never developed any striking, his no-gi work wasn't nearly as strong as his gi work, his takedowns were never great, and it should be noted that his "comeback" occured when he was in his 40's. Shamrock was a no-gi grappler with solid takedowns, top control, and submissions. He worked his strikes and ground-and-pound. Whichever "comeback" you're talking about occured when he was in his late 30's/early 40's, and with significant damage to his knees, which drastically effected his fighting style. Shamrock c. 1993-1995 would still be rather limited compared to today's fighters, but the only guy that could match his combination of power and technique on the mat might be Palhares.

14. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

From what i understand, Abbot had only disdain for martial artists and considered himself an old school brawler. He was good for the sport. Tank was usually fun to watch even when he lost.
    Anyways heres a tribute to fellow Canadian GSP. [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1x4YV5jX60"]Georges St. Pierre: Road of a Warrior - YouTube[/ame]

15. callsignfuzzy

If I've got a black belt in karate, occasionally using techniques from that system (as Abbott did with his takedowns, takedown defense, and ground control), but consider myself an old-school brawler, which am I? 'Cause that "brawler" had a much more technical double-leg than any BJJ guy competing in his era.

And frankly, what's your reason for posting all of this? What's the point of the thread, if I may ask?

16. callsignfuzzy

Sherdog just has his fight vs. Zinoviev on record. They've got him at 0-1. Frankly, even in that environment, it's hard to imagine that sort of record (14-0) with his obvious lack of grappling skills.

17. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Read the title. Then figure it out.

18. callsignfuzzy

19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Snappy, aren't we? For a thread to be about MMA fights you'd have to actually discuss some fights, which would require you to know what you're looking at. So far you've just talked (rather incorrectly) about a particular fighter and posted a video.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Rooftops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.