MMa fighters staging beefs

Discussion in 'MMA' started by 8limbs38112, Mar 23, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

A lot of people look at guys like Floyd mayweather, and say I don't like that guy. Hes an arrogant boastful man. But me personally I think guys like him are putting on a show. I look at it from a business perspective. I believe guys like mayweather do all that flashy stuff to attract more fans to watch their Paperviews and stuff. When I saw King Moe and Rampage almost get into a fight after Rampages fight a couple Bellator MMA eisodes ago. I didn't think they really hated eachother. I was thinking they probably worked together behind the scenes and staged the beef and nearly got into a fight on purpose to get more ratings for their upcoming fight. Now this may not always be the case. But I think that's what was going on. I don't think they really don't like eachother. I think it's all about getting ratings. In fact 50 cent admitted his beef with Mayweather was staged I think a while back. Am I the only one that thinks like this or are there some other people here on the same page as me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  2. 8limbs38112

sorry about the word that got bleeped out. I didn't know it was a curse word.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Becoming a bit of a trend, though, isn't it.

4. 8limbs38112

Well, I know 50 cent over did it.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Beef" has always been part of the fight game (I prefer fish myself, especially battered cod with a big serving of fat chips and gravy). Fighters must raise their profiles to sell business. You generally get three types of personalities when it comes to promotion:

1) Those who genuinely HATE their opponent (Rousey/Tate;
    2) Those who KNOW they are very skilled (Mayweather);
    3) Those who THINK they are very skilled (Tyson Fury).

The number 1s talk smack about their opponent because a genuine dislike exists there. I wouldn't be surprised if promoters are the engineers behind a lot of tension between fighters in combat sports. At the end of the day, however, two people are trying to hurt each other so some of it will grow organically.

The number 2s develop a level of confidence that grows with each win. When you're someone as good as Mayweather, who has destroyed every opponent that stood in front of him, I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging your skills. It's very different to arrogance (compare Mayweather to Broner for example, the latter is a grade A d-bag).

The number 3s are just laughable. I don't know how they get into believing their own hype. Again, promoters might be partially to blame for stroaking the fighter's ego and arranging tomato can fights for their first 10-15 matches. Fury is a clear example of this. The guy is absolutely godawful. He's an embarrassment to Manchester. He's unathletic, his technique is ugly, and his footwork and head movement are non-existant. I hope he gets KO'd by Chisora but I won't be paying to watch the fight.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It's all about selling tickets, it's really all there is to it.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Then you got the Chael Sonnens, who are so good at smack talk, it doesn't even matter.
    Although of late the image of him being a heartless idiot is now being shattered and he really actually is a nice dude.

Except Wanderlei still loathes him with a vengeance.

King Mo and Rampage recently staged a "beef" in Bellator. Years ago though they did hate each other. Apparently due to some argument whilst in a van going to a promo event. And they very publically quashed it during an interview.

Most famous beef I would say is the Tyson v Lennox. The amount of crap that went on there. Fights at press conferences, biting (apparently), even security in the ring. It was great, it was pro Wrestling soap opera but garnering stupid amount of money. And people bought into it, 2 networks ended having to co-promote the fight, they even interviewed the ring announcers to ask what they were gonna say in the ring. (Thats right, due to contractual network agreements each fighter had essentially their own announcer).

At the end of the fight, Tyson admitted he only said things etc as it was part of a show to garner more tickets because he actually liked Lennox Lewis (former sparring partner).

That is the fight game.

Dont get me started on the WWE ones though...

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

For me it just gets pretty stale when that's the only storyline promoters seem to sell. Much as I loathe pro-wrestling they at least have other approaches than "These guys really, REALLY, REALLY, don't like each other, Mike!"

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

We need another major gym beef. Get American Top Team to start something with Nova Uniao and you'd have some fun.

10. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

Drama, even fake one, sells. Unfortunately. I think it's quite ridiculous and often very clear that it is just fake, but a lot of people actually seem to buy it and get more interested in that fight that way, I never understood it myself.

But it is a fact, trash talking sells. Look at Barao. He is amazing, very skilled, one of the best MMA fighters right now. Yet he isn't a big name for casuals. Now imagine him being very cocky, boastful and talking trash. He would be very different and it's hard to think him that way, but I believe if he would be like that, he would be a big name in US.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wait...does this mean that Earthquake didn't kill Jake Roberts python Damien???

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

GSP was one of the most respectful fighters ever. And one of the top draws ever as well.

I don't know that Barao doesn't sell tickets because of being polite. I think it is more to do with the bias against smaller fighters. Other small weight divisions have trouble as well. Also maybe that he was "interim" champ for a long time. People don't care as much about Interim belts.

13. Southpaw535

He's small, Brazilian and quiet. GSP was very polite but also somewhat charming/endearing, Canadian, and a good looking guy.

Canada's a big mma market but didn't really have any other heroes except GSP, and he came up at a time when it was mostly Americans. Matt Hughes was huge at the time GSP bet him. Brazil already had their big hero in Wanderlei and Anderson. St-Pierre was huge. He might have been polite but he had plenty of publicity and face time in the business whereas Barao is just...there.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, but what you are talking about is charisma and markets. Which is another factor to take into consideration.

My original point is that Barao is not a big draw for factors other than not trash talking. Also that one can be a big draw and not be a trash talker with fake feuds.

And yes, you are also right that good looks is a factor as well. Lets face it, GSP is far better looking than Barao, who, well............sorry is really not good looking....to put it mildly. It is a shame that such a shallow factor comes into play, but it does.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  15. Southpaw535

I thought after I posted that quoting you makes it look like I was trying to challenge what you said. I wasn't at all, just trying to add to it. I think trash talking isn't the big point some people think it is, it needs to combine with other factors. Bisping is, for my money, hands down probably the best smack talker in the ufc but he's not one of the biggest draws in his weight class, yet alone in the org as a whole. Really the only example we have to say talking smack is a huge power in the ufc is Sonnen and even he has some other factors that make him a draw beyond that.

Which is actually the same point you just made here...

I spent two minutes writing the bit before, I'm not deleting it because I didn't read your post fully first :p

WMMA fan reactions. Need you say more really?

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That was traumatic. But not as traumatic as when Jake got Damien to bite Macho-man on the arm.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They sold the hell out of that injury too! I remember Savage still had the arm wrapped at the "Tuesday in Texas" mini PPV. Not as good as when Jake was sprayed with "Arrogance" by Rick Martel and he went everywhere with a white lens in though

Jake oozes ring psychology like no one else