Mixing/creating styles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Matty_H, Nov 8, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

As to the o.p. my family is as.mma as it gets an eclectic style of karate, Bjj, tkd, wrestling, and even mma! We all take a bit of knowledge from each other. We even talked about combing a bunch of it all and naming it. Super Hit Intense Training. Or some other word for short.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

true that. matches can be won on other attributes like strength etc.
    i know a couple schools that sand bag

but its still proof of combat ability (maybe not skilled ability) which a blackbelt doesnt always guarantee or prove.

competition or stimulation is proof and MMA is just one of those ways to prove it. competitions in a certain style are another and stimulations like JWTs are good proof too.

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My wife did crane kung fu for many years. Her instructor did not award belts at all untill 20 yrs ago. She visited his school and was asked to spar one of his top bbs she destroyed this young fella. Of course he cried foul when she switched to boxing mode.

Later that day he told his class this is why we will stop offering belts. She was not that good in kung fu. She had a good laugh.

4. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Put Royce Gracies limited kross training in striking up against a modern day Pettis, Silva, etc

No, that won't happen because he will get his lights beaten out. Which is why he returned to teaching.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Those guys don't have "basic grappling". They have amazing grappling skills. You said basic.

6. itf-taekwondo

I said they don't need it either way. They need some basic knowledge of avoiding being taken to the ground at close range. That's all. The result would have been the same.

Anderson Silva has attempted 3 takedowns himself in his entire UFC carrier.

7. itf-taekwondo

Anthony Pettis is a brown belt in BJJ for that matter

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Wait, what?!

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The BJJ Black belt Anderson Silva. Why do you think he's so confident striking. Maybe he has a back up plan.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is from a Jack Slack article called "Killing the King". The bold is mine. This is the difference between having grappling skills and not using them, and not having grappling skills.

Anderson Silva is a black belt in BJJ. People don't want to take him down because he's pretty damn good there too. If he lacked those skills people would exploit it.

Another example. Chuck Liddell. He finished his UFC career as a PURPLE belt in BJJ. Basic submission defence. However, his wrestling was outstanding, which he used to keep fights standing.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

That's not what you said at all. You said:

The guys you mentioned have insane grappling skills as Chadderz pointed out.

How many matches has he won by submission?

12. itf-taekwondo

It may be pure speculation but switch roles. Anderson Silva and Pettis have limited striking, with BJJ as their base.... Now they face off against Royce Gracie.

Most people would bet on the Silva and Pettis of today. I am discussing people who prefer striking for the sake of argument.

13. Dead_pool

You do realize both Silva and Pettis have both amazing BJJ and striking.

A brown belt in BJJ is not a easy thing to get.

The average time to black belt is ten plus years.

14. itf-taekwondo

I am saying the outcome is already determined if they emphazise their striking background - main weapons.

It's not however determined if they were to emphazise groundgame instead, even if they are strong in that phase as well.

They are in more need of their striking than grappling. Both are outstanding strikers, not wrestlers.

15. Dead_pool

I think you need to clarify your argument.

For effectiveness you need standup clinch and ground. Weakness in any area may be exploited.

For most fighters takedown ability is the "rate determining step" that dictates the range of the fight.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think he needs to shut up and stop crapping on threads.

itf-taekwondo, start a new thread if you wish to continue this discussion.

Edit. We'll pick this discussion up from here.

17. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

I think you might have some kind of intelligent path of logic going on in your head but like the guy said you need to make it more clear to the rest of us, I write like pig slop but I am even haveing some time to understand it clearly ok.
    You need to approach this differently, might I suggest that there are four ranges of combat and that each of them is quit different from the other, do you remember when Bruce lee fought Kareem in God(game of death). Now maybe Im weird here or something but but controlling a guy on the ground is not the same as controlling a guy in the strikeing or weapons range, but the concept is the same right I mean you want to control violence with violence.
    So no matter your base "style" or how long you have practiced it or no matter how well you do at makeing the other fighter play your game if your tail gets caught slipping once and you wind up going to the range your opponet is strong at then you better be good at getting back to where you need to be rather its soaking damage or blocking/resisting attacks or whatever.
    Its not all about technique and style my man, in the ring you gotta be able to consider toughness and mentality, some guys are technically great but not very tough they dont make good full contact fighters, wouldnt matter his base style or second influence, if he has glass jaw then he likely to lose the fight.
    Only time base style pre determines anything is when the rules of engagement take away the range of expertice of one fighter or the other completely other than that a good fighter can always work his technique and play his game...Just my two sents may need some adjusting but its worth kicking around right.