Mixed Martial Arts In The Philippines

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Dirk Dagger, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Dirk Dagger

Dirk Dagger I Love Kelly Hu

The popularity of mixed martial arts started from UFC. Those were the good old days of blood, sweat and gore. I mean, people are going to kill themselves anyway, so why not make it into a sports and profit from it?

Well, we see UFC today as a more sports like boxing than it was like Van Damme's Bloodsport a few years ago. And the popularity is spreading worldwide! First, the japanese... and a handful of pioneering nations like Brazil. And now, the Philippines.

Chect out www.urcc.net and tell me your comments.

No matter how much I admire mixed martial arts, still I believe in the purity of style.

2. totality

totality New Member

lol, dude, the brazilians were doing vale tudo for decades before america even knew what the hell it was.

but what exactly do you mean, "purity of the style?" you mean you want the ufc of old? no one with real respect for the sport woul say something like that. it was too dangerous, and not worth it for the fighters.

3. Dirk Dagger

Correction taken. It's just that mixed martial arts started and got famous because of UFC.

What I mean by "purity of style" is that you cannot be a jack of all trades and master of none.

But, point taken DUDE.

4. totality

totality New Member

um...ok
    sorry if i offended you, i meant to do nothing of the sort.

5. Dirk Dagger

None taken dude.

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Are you fighting in the URCC, Dirk?

7. Dirk Dagger

I wish I was fighting in URCC. But my training is in Competition Karate and not in mixed martial arts. :)

8. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Having Fought in MMA I disagree i would pre fer
    the origanal Way. With The 10 Limit Rounds
    Just like the 1st UFC had ,, not that any of those 1st fights went to the 2nd round.

I am curently 1- 0 In MMA with a Win over a BJJ Fighter
    at 2:55 Seconds in the 1st Round By a Leg Submisson

My Next Fight is at The Extreme Fighting Challenge IV
    Jan. 24, 2004. Show starts at 7:00PM

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  9. totality

totality New Member

no ace, i wasn't referring to the rounds, i was talking about the rules.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

there is also another website. www.fearlessfighter.com which is another MMA group in the Philippines, they fight in an octagon shaped cage while URCC fights are staged in a boxing ring

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2004
  11. Dirk Dagger

Oh YEah! Fearless... I saw that one on local tv. Good promotion, nice chicks and great fighters. Cool. :D

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

With respect why not? If you mean you cannotbe a green belt in each and say you are good then fair play, but almost all styles are composites even the so-called "traditional" systems. If you can improve your game with another style then bring it on board!

Example: If you are facing a far superior striker with no ground game then try and get them to the floor. Although you may not be a grade "A" grappler, all you really have to do is be able to beat the opponent in front of you - in this case a "pure" striker. Better than getting a pasting for the sake of purity!:D

13. Dirk Dagger

THIS IS MIXED MARTIAL ARTS! WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I TALKED ABOUT PURITY OF STYLE??? :)

It's kinda like Mixed nuts. They go better with beer. :D