Mir/ Lesnar & UFC81 merged threads

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Thanks Brian! Now I know..... :rolleyes:

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Mir did well... but ANYONE that does not think that beast will not earn a title shot down the road is kidding themselves. had steve not intervened due to a rookie sloppiness on Lesnar's part the night would have ended differently
    also.... that kneebar was not subtle. a LITTLE more training on Lesnar's part and huge holes like that in his overall game will be plugged
    Lesnar will hold the HW title.... within 2 years i bet

p.s. thanks for the link!![/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Lesnar has potential, I agree. But he ain't there yet, nowhere near the caliber of say, Nog, who's begging for a fight with Couture. Maybe in a few years, like kmguy says. In the meantime, I'm doing my happy dance and joining the chorus of "I told you so".[/EXPAND]

4. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]
    I don't know why people keep saying Mir was in such big trouble. He ended up in a worse position later and got out of it after a few seconds. The interference did look a bit dubious. Some have said that he was moving in for a stoppage but noticed that Mir was actually still okay and so covered up his own mistake with the penalty. But looking at it closely, he does begin moving in EXACTLY after Lesnar threw the second shot to the back of the head (the first one was thrown as Mir was turning and wasn't Lesnar's fault). I think, at worst, Mazzagati acted the way he did because he realized people might think his moving in so quickly to intervene would be interpreted as a stoppage and he was nervously justifying his action, rather than sloppily covering up his mistake.

As for Lesnar being a champion, maybe he will and maybe he won't. He did look better than I thought he would. But so far he's the most recent in a series of huge athletic guys predicted to dominate MMA simply by virtue of being so huge and so athletic. We know it doesn't work that way.

Ricardo Almeida's fight: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevanc...8nk_rob-yundt-vs-ricardo-almeida-ufc-81_sport

The championship bout and by far the best fight of the event: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/Nogueira/video/x4978i_timsylviavsantoniorodrigonogueira_sport[/EXPAND]

5. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Yea Lesnar looked alright, he probably more training. Like he seems to leave his legs open even to go from the stand up one could probably do a leg takedown on him. Do to his standing almost to straight legged. If Mir had lost the knee bar he would have forced Lesnar to back away again and he would have tried the cross leg take down. Which would have been the same way again, a knee bar.

Serious Question: Whom did Mir learn his ground game from? I mean he has excellent control on the back, his guard is not the best I have seen but for his size he is very limber and fluid.

Serious answer to that question. Maybe I should take that to Bullshido![/EXPAND]

6. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

[EXPAND="spoilers"]I'm not in the least surprised by this outcome. We've run this experiment twenty different ways now in the MMA world, and the outcome is pretty consistantly the same. Technical skill and experience beat size and strength, at least at the elite professional level (Kimo v. Gracie, Bob Sap v. just about anyone). I've been arguing about the result of this fight back and forth with a guy at work all week, I'm glad to say he can now eat crow. :D[/EXPAND]

7. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

the whole thing was bad. lol any of the top fighters could have wiped the floor with those two.

8. nready

Ha, LOLROTFLOL! Bob Sap

9. bulkathos72

lol they were playing soulja boy.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

[EXPAND="spoiler"]
    Nog VS Sylvia
    Ahhhh... Good to see Nog doing what he does best... subbing people at will when he gets them on the ground. Jeez... what a short game for Slyvia once it went to ground. I didn't think he'd be able to hold off Nog's shoot forever... and it Nog managed it sooner than I expected he would. Man Nog's got a chin he took some big shots from a bigger opponent. Jeez!!! :eek: Good to see Nog is still in the game!! :D

Mir VS Lesnar
    I thought for a sec there Mir was gonna be in trouble... but man... stellar composure in the strange guard he has. Not intimidated at all by the Lesnar's strikes, size, aggressiveness. The knee bar was nice... interesting how he took something in Lesnar's wrestling background and used his BJJ against it. Was surprised at Lesnar's speed with his spins to the back and whatnot for being as big as he is.

One sad point... the UFC fans booing when Lesnar was speaking about the fight make the UFC crowd look stupid. Lesner showed up and fought... he was gracious and humble and let the crowd know that Mir was indeed the better fighter. The booing fans should be taken out and shot. Chumps.

It'll be curious to see what becomes of Lesnar in fights to come.

Heath VS Boetsch
    Niiiiice. Wow. The front kicks in that fight were great to see. Not a kick you see being landed with such effect all that often. Impressive. Boetsch was loose and relaxed the whole fight. His punching skills were not too shabby and he handed out a grip of knees. Topping it off with a superb powerful throw... just threw his opponent on his head like it was nothing. Wow! That was a great little fight.

Lytle VS Bradley
    LOL! Bradley was breaking the posture of the ref! He had no idea where he was or that the ref wasn't Lytle. :D

Yundt VS Almeida
    Just pure quality Jiu jutsu in short order for Almeida. Short and sweet.[/EXPAND]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  11. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

For me it was a pretty good show and here are my thoughts on a few fights

Nog vs Sylvia
    Got to say Nog is one tough and major respect for the blows he was able to take. I was so happy that Nog won as I don't rate Sylvia as he generally wins because of his size imo. I would love to see Couture vs Nog but I do know that it will never happen.

Lesnar vs Mir
    Not a bad fight, Mir looked awesome and everyone else in the HW division better be ready for him. Lesnar looked pretty good but his first fight in the UFC was against a hell of a fighter which is a little unfair imo, I think he needs a few fights against some lesser competition (compared to mir) so that he gets the experienced needed.

Heath vs Boetsch
    Wow Boetsch looked awesome and could be a great prospect. Heath just did not seem able to pull the trigger and Boetsch punished him for that. Boetsch's front kicks looked awesome and the way he through Heath on his head was scary, that stunned him badly and was beginning of the end.

12. twitch_88

twitch_88 Valued Member

lol 3 victories from guillotines in one night

13. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

I don't know. I hear everyone saying that Mir was a poor first choice, but if they had set Lesnar up with some nobody or a subpar fighter (which he would not have agreed to anyway) there would be a bunch of posts about how he got someone who was too easy for him when he would have beat the crap out of them. (Kind of like his first MMA fight.)

I think Frank was the perfect person to set him up with. Lesnar wanted a challenge and he got it, and I agree that the match would have ended a lot differently if the ref hadn't of stopped the match to stand him up for a 1.5 shot to the back of the head (seriously).

Lesnar had unbelievable strength and agility. He will learn by trial I imagine and he will learn well. His stand up was better than Mir that night and even though his ground and pound wasn't as effective as it could have been he was still smashing the crap out of Mir's face and Mir was desperately trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Kudos to Mir for weathering the storm of large (3XL gloved) fists raining down on his face and finding that easy submission. With a little more experience I think Brock is going to prove the doubters wrong and demolish some people.

Good stuff. :D

14. nready

Whom said Mir was a bad opponent for Lesnar? to funnytiger
    Well whoever said it is very wrong! Maybe they meant it was a fight against someone that had been out for a bit.

These are just base improvements. All fighter learn them.
    Lesnar weakness, he holds back a little when he hurts someone, he tends to put his legs in a easy grab spot, he does not squat into the grab when Mir grabbed the leg, he leans instead of sink down toward Mir. The legs thing about the sinking down using the leg instead of bending over allow slightly quicker control of movements and he could stay more in control of the legs of Mir that way. He need work where to put the feet when someone is on the ground.

If he went against lets say Nog well it would have been a much quicker fight mainly because Nog is probably even better on the ground than Mir. Admittedly Lesnar does have one thing over Nog size and hitting power. A very common thing that strikers have problems with is they tend to keep there legs straighter. Look at like Silva he does it to keeps his legs straight, thing is he sinks down when going into clenches. Which helps him in that he can keep his waist away from any form of take down.

Lesnar will get better in instantly coming up with a game plan, that is where he is kinda deficient in the fight game right now. That won't take long for Leasnar to get that working. His weakness are where it will take him sometime to learn how and what they are. Honestly that is where Mir took advantage of him is in the fact he quickly shifted his game to allow for a better fight plan while in there with Lesnar.
    JMPO! From that one fight. I can't wait to see more from him.

15. funnytiger

I've been reading a lot of forums (not just here) and people have been saying that Mir was a bad first fight for Lesnar in the UFC.

Sorry, should have clarified. :eek:

Agree 100%! :D

16. bulkathos72

Lesnar was only training for a year in MMA fighting. Mir was raised in martial arts on a consistant basis and continued that in MMA as an adult. Only reason they put in Mir in there was because of his accident.

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

What is with this crap? I'm not even a huge Frank Mir fan, but I have seen most of his fights and he's been in worse positions and recovered. In fact, he did so later on in in this very fight. 1.5? Lesnar threw one shot that hit Mir in the back of the head as he was turning and then he threw a second one after that. It was very clear.

IMO, the fight should not have been stood up at that point, but Lesnar was not robbed or anything and he, for one, recognizes this, even if SOME people don't.

18. funnytiger

No one is saying Lesnar was robbed, so calm down. Geez...

He lost fair and square, and as you pointed out, even he knows that.

19. funnytiger

Most of the Pay-per-view interviews said he had studied for 1.5 -2 years. Did you read something that said differently??

20. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

You did say the match would have ended a lot differently.