Mir/ Lesnar & UFC81 merged threads

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

You can never really trust pro wrestling's "weigh-in" weights, especially when it comes to the circus-circuits (mainstream American shows like WWE/ TNA). This is because A) these "weigh-ins" never happen in the traditional sense of the word as we see with MMA, wrestling and boxing and B) a big part of this type of pro wrestling's marketing schtick is that it's the "land of the giants" - it's certainly not unheard of for them to occasionally "exaggerate" the weights, often by quite a lot (I know too much about this!)
    That said, I wouldn't be at all shocked if Lesnar was on the juice back then - if reports, court cases, deaths, rumours, hearsay and healthy dose of suspicion are to be believed, an obscene amount of the WWE's roster is or has been using steroids
    As to how this will affect the Lesnar/ Mir fight: Lesnar will undoubtedly be stronger than Mir. Mir is, however, still strong enough to snap just about any joint he can get ahold of and take it home with him, which is pretty much my predicted outcome: Mir by submission early in the first. Lesnar's got potential, but a year or so's training + natural athleticism doesn't really cancel out Mir's many years of fighting and excellent submission game. A healthy, focussed Mir (preferably with something resembling cardio for a change) will beat Lesnar quickly

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

im not sure but i think lesner was a "real" wrestler before he became a pro one

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[3] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.[8][9]

Thaks wikipedia!

4. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

I think Mir will gas and get GnPed. He's been disappointing since the accident, unfortunately.

5. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Brock trains at my gym with Greg Nelson and Sean Sherk. He is a freak of nature and will crush Mir. If I could find even odds anywhere I'd put my house on Brock.

6. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

we'll see.....

7. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

so you be moving back in with mom and dad? :D

paul

8. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Yeah man. Penn probably has the most raw, natural tallent of any fighter. When he's motivated and trains right, I think he's unstopable in both Light- and Welterweight, maybe even higher.

9. agsmoke

agsmoke New Member

Mir Vs Lesnar

6'1'' Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (237) vs. 6'8'' Tim Sylvia (261) Nogueira
    6'3'' Brock Lesnar (265) vs. 6'1'' Frank Mir (255) Lesnar
    6'2'' Jeremy Horn (185) vs. 6'0'' Nate Marquardt (185) Marquardt
    6'0'' Ricardo Almeida (185) vs. 6'1'' Rob Yundt (185) Almeida
    5'6'' Tyson Griffin (155) vs. 5'10'' Gleison Tibau (156) Tibau
    5'9'' Kyle Bradley (170) vs. 5'11'' Chris Lytle (170) Lytle
    6'1'' Tim Boetsch (205) vs. 5'11'' David Heath (205) Heath
    5'9'' Marvin Eastman (185) vs. 5'9'' Terry Martin (186) Beastman
    5'9'' Rob Emerson (155) vs. 5'9'' Keita Nakamura (155) Emerson

Despite just one professional MMA fight to his name, Brock Lesnar (1-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will earn a guaranteed $250,000 in tonight’s UFC 81 fight with Frank Mir.
    Brock Lesnar is only the second man in the history of combat sports in Nevada to wear size 4XL gloves, the other being South Korean giant Choi Hong-man, who is 7-3 and 367 pounds. While we didn't get the exact number, people were also stunned by Lesnar's reach, as it was longer than Tim Sylvia's.

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I watched the whole UFC show with Lesnar working out. This guy is an animal. I would not want to be Frank Mir, especially after the couple of lackluster fights I have seen him in. I would have preferred a Lesnar-Sylvia match.

Or maybe I'll just shut up......lol.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  11. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I've just merged three threads about the Brock Lesnar/ Frank Mir fight. Could people please actually look at the front page of this forum before posting another thread?

I've still got Mir taking the fight by submission in the first. Noguiera/ Sylvia will go one of two ways - it'll be an exciting, dynamic fight in which Noguiera will win by submission, probably in the second or third, or it'll be a boring carbon copy of Sylvia/ Vera in which Sylvia will hug Noguiera against the cage for five rounds, secure in the knowledge that stupid UFC judges value Octagon Control over just about anything and he'll take the decision
    Horn/ Marquardt is the most intriguing fight on the card to me. As much as I like Horn, I just can't see how he can beat Marquardt. Nate's the better striker, better wrestler and is the more decorated grappler too. Neither guy's going to gas and Horn's legendary chin seems to be on the decline of late. Marquardt by decision or possibly sub

12. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

I think Mir win's based on more overall skill. However Lesner is a wild card and we just do not know what he is capable of yet. :cool:

13. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Who did Lesnar fight before this match with Mir? I have been looking but can not find info on it. Well I looked on Youtube.

14. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Just so I have an official statement on the matter.

Mir beats Lesnar. Experience over freak show. I think this is the first time I haven't defended the freak spectacle underdog. But all the freaks I have defended had pro fight records. Yes Lesnar has been a NCAA wrestling champ but it was like 10 years ago.

I may respect fight records but I think ring rust or in this case Lesnar's "mat rust" is a liability that outweighs any expereicne.

Nog over Sylvia. Cuz I hate Sylvia. Honestly I think both have pros and cons so my brain is tossed up but my heart votes for Nog.

Marquadt beats horn. Horns washed up. He's had his chances. His record is 100+ but his record is padded. Horn beat bums, he's failed to elevate against the elite. Marquadt is just a bit better in every way.

Eastman over Martin. Martin is over rated. He beat some good guys but got smashed by mid-tier fighters like Chris Leben. Eastman is angry and hungry, just my gut feeling no rational explanation for this statement.

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Results: please keep the spoiler tags in until tomorrow morning when the event's aired everywhere :)

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira def. Tim Sylvia by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:28, R3
    -Frank Mir def. Brock Lesnar by Submission (Kneebar) at 1:30, R1
    -Nathan Marquardt def. Jeremy Horn by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:37, R2
    -Ricardo Almeida def. Rob Yundt by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:18, R1
    -Tyson Griffin def. Gleison Tibau by Unanimous Decision, R3
    -Chris Lytle def. Kyle Bradley by TKO (Strikes) at 0:33, R1
    -Tim Boetsch def. David Heath by TKO (Strikes) at 4:52, R1
    -Marvin Eastman def. Terry Martin by Unanimous Decision, R3
    -Robert Emerson def. Keita Nakamura by Split Decision, R3
    [/EXPAND]

What I've watched of it so far was pretty good. A couple of sleepers and no fights that I'd call amazing, but nothing that made me want to turn the show off

16. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Almeida is back and looking good. I called his submission and Nogueira's and Mir's. I was off on a lot of the other fights, though.[/EXPAND]

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Since I don't do Pay-Per-View, how did Brock look? From everything I saw on the run-up to the fight Lesner just looked to slow to be an issue for Mir. He's big and obviously has some sort of ground game but I thought that Mir would be quicker and have the edge because of his BJJ. I wouldn't give the standup to Lesner either. Again, just thought he looked too slow.

18. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Ufc81

Was just a BJJ Jiujitsu clinic.

THis was one amazing ppv.

19. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I just gotta say...

I TOLD YOU SO! :)

20. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member