mindset

Discussion in 'Judo' started by kidsamurai, Dec 5, 2014.

1. kidsamurai

kidsamurai New Member

hi everyone.. I have just been from a shiai in our school and the thing I always have a problem is the mindset... its been years since my last participation in a shiai.. and the most embarrassing thing happened, it seems like being a noob again.. i dont know why, my nervousness got the best of me and I lost.. :bang:

guys, any help to your fellow judoka? when you participate in a shiai, what is your mindset? what do you think of? do you have a routine to have a calm and relax mind?

thank you in advance..

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you're getting nervous then you need to do it a lot to get used to it. I think a lot of people think that randori and shiai are the same thing - they're not and the increased aggression from the opponent tends to throw a lot of people off their game.

I normally just focus on my gameplan, which is normally 'grip, trip and rip'.

3. kidsamurai

kidsamurai New Member

yes i think so.. and i dont think the two are the same..

grip, trip, and rip? have a good grip, get your opponent out of balance and rip his body to the mats? did i get it right? hehe

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Fixed ;D

5. holyheadjch

Yeah, grip, ashi waza, throw.

6. holyheadjch

No - that's what almost always happens, but that is rarely my gameplan.

7. kidsamurai

kidsamurai New Member

thank you very much for sharing :D

still waiting for other judokas to reply to my post. :D

8. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Holy is right - you need to do it alot to get used to it. Even after I'd been training for 10 years, taking a year off from competition makes the butterflies and nervousness come back big time and you have to get back into the groove.

One thing I'd say is to learn what works for you - I focused for a long time (because of the people I trained with) on getting aggressive and always thinking about the win. This caused me to do stupid things all the time and really hate competing. I threw all that away and stopped caring about the result and having fun instead. What do you know, I started winning - 4 straight competitions and every single match within. The point is, the first mindset worked for some people, but not for me. Likewise mine wouldn't work for everyone either.

9. kidsamurai

kidsamurai New Member

wow, thanks :D

not being able to compete brought back the nervousness.. maybe i havent found out yet what works for me, i dont know.. i hope i find soon.. caused that lose made me rethink my entire judo career... hope to hear from other judoka as well.. thank you very much :D