Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Andy Murray, Mar 1, 2002.

1. FISH

FISH New Member

True he was a great boxer/slugger which is rare but does someone who grew up mugging/beating up old ladies deserve respect/adoration ? I rank him as one of the top fighters of all time but he threw that fight with Buster "the chump" Douglas and is an all around scumbag:mad: :woo:

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

he didn;t throw that fight, he was doped up on Lithium by Robin Givens and her mother, and an emotional wreck becasue she tld him she wanted a divorce hours before the fight. He was sobbing on his trainer's shoulder 10 minuted before he went in the ring.

It was also part of a long tradition of champs goiong to forign countries and losig their title.

Tyson is definately one of the tragedies of modern sports.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I'd like to point at that someone with the drive/ability to climb to the top ranks of Professional boxing could probably do just about any combat sport, placed in the right environment.

A young Tyson with some Thai Boxing and BJJ experience would be tearing new poopshoots for a lot of ufc fairies.

It's about attitude.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Poopshoots-is that a technical NHB term?

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Tyson could have won the Buster Douglas fight if the ref had not delayed the count when Douglas was down. If I remember Douglas was down for about 15 seconds.

6. saikyou

saikyou New Member

he's really good. remember his big knock-outs? he is the youngest undisputed champ. he really has a good punching power and nice defensive moves.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  7. Testosterone

Testosterone New Member

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Tyson trained in Wing Chun? WTF?!?!? :eek: :confused:

9. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

Was really good*, Was the youngest undisputed champ*, had good punching power and nice defensive moves*.

10. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

hello three year old thread, good to see you back from the grave!

try not to mess the place up while you are visiting.

enjoy the land of the land of the living.

11. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

you know why the baseball hall of fame is so great...its hard to get into

i wish boxing was the same

pros for mike.

his skill early on.
    1. his power...i am sick of everyone saying he is just a brawler....it takes SKILL and practice to hit hard...power is no less a skill than speed, defense, ring gerneralmanship..etc
    2. this guy was fast...ever watch him work the mitts...his shots are electric

he captured the public eye.

1. early on he was the new young gun, sweet voice respect for his elders and the game, a good old american rags to riches story. ( and for the media it helps to be american)...a getto boy made good.

and in the ring he was a beast...a pitbull on a lease

2. later he was a pitbull off the lease.....a menice to society

3.later still a carnival act...

ether way he capured the public eye

the cons
    1. he dominated the ring for to short a peroid of time....only about 4 years
    2. hebeat up some has beens in a week division, lost to good guys
    3. ****ed away his talent
    take him and lennox lewis....early on tyson was the better fighter...but he never got better.....lennox got better....and in the end he ended up a much better fighter

why is lennox not talked about as the alltime great that he is

1. hes british
    2. hes mild mannered and not a self promoter
    3 he has the personality of a wet noodle

12. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

Bill James is quite the baseball expert for those of you who don't know. He rates the greatest players of all time in two categories: peak value and career value. I would rate iron Mike as one of the best peak value fighters of all time, who at his best would have knocked Lennox Lewis through the ropes. In career value though, Mike falls far from the top, obviously.

13. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

i dont think lenox is a popular as tyson for 1 age of becoming the champ and 2 number of KO's. almost every fight tyson was in ended in a knock out. i just wish he never went to jail i think that messed with his head alot along with cus.

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

without looking it up i think lenox had about 40 fights and 30 kos

mike had 50 fights about 40 kos.

75% vs 80%

not real staggering.

i also think mike showed sighns of decline before prison....loss to buster...2 wars with razor rud****

15. addiwei

addiwei New Member

no, the real reason why Lenox wasn't as popular as Mike Tyson is because Lewis is a boring fighter, not a tremendous finisher, tall, so he naturally had advantages and outside the ring, had no personality. but why was Lenox champion then?...because he had good reach, and the type of boxer he is, is similar to a fine wine. Get's better with age, as he can fight on the outside and just jab all day and try to guess when the other person goes down...

Tyson was an explosive fighter, and relied on slipping to/ fighting inside (since he has relatively short reach), in his prime he took the crowd by storm with his aggressiveness, and on the physical aspect- almost literally built like a TANK. he dropped Bombs on his opponents, and when he smelled blood, he was a tremendous finisher....think shark and an injured sea lion..

Now...in your opinion, which one is more fun to watch?

16. kenpo123

kenpo123 New Member

I think lennox won cause they had tyson on his nice pills to keep him normal.. cause after the fight he was almost kissing lewis and telling him how beautifull person he was and wiping the sweat off his face.. im surprised he didnt drop to his knees.. take him off his nice pills.. and he just eat his face like the movie the silience of the lambs...

tyson was super fast.. great skill.... great power.. especially his left hook.. when his trainer died.. that was teh beginning of his downfall.. i dont think much of him now.. but will always respect the boxer/sluger/thug what ever he was in his prime..