Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Andy Murray, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I remember watching Tysons meteoric rise to success and feeling that I was watching the birth of a new Ali or Sugar Ray....

Softly spoken, with a hint of a lisp, he explained his study of the old greats like Jack Dempsey. He spoke of his love and respect for his mentor Cus.

Cus, gone. Givens takes a chunk, Don King takes a chunk. Did Tyson realise what was going on? Does he know what is going on now.

I watched the fight when he bit Holyfield. I watched it several times. in my opinion Holyfield repeatedly headbutted Tyson. The referee did nothing. I would have bitten him myself.

Instead of a rags to riches champion, a peoples hero like Ali. We have a thug, a rapist, a misfit.

He is seen to bring shame to the one thing that lifted him from the gutter.

I don't know that many people will hold with this point of view. I feel sad that Tyson lost the path to his place in the history books as one of the greats!

2. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

I think Tyson still is one of the greats, if you look at his performances in the ring. His boxing skill is incredible (particularly at avoiding blows), and it requires the video's slow motion facilities to truly appreciate it sometimes. Perhaps his training in Wing Chun has something to do with this ability.

3. Cuddles

Cuddles New Member

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with some the comments about Mr Tyson. Although there is no denying his fight record I do not feel that he is one of the "great" boxers of our time, or should be considered for title. His style is that of the street, he is a slugger, a brawler and the power of his punches has carried him on occasion rather than his ability as a fighter ( I know, to some, that may sound like an oxymoron but boxing is not all about the power of your punch ).

Admittedly the politics behind Tyson may well have contributed to his fall from grace I don't feel they can fully explain his actions. Also his criminal activity I think reveals more about the man, a side to him I detest. As for the Holyfield fight, even if Tyson was butted (a common occurrence in boxing) it does not give him the right to rip a piece of flesh from an opponent with his teeth.

I know that in today's media intensive world every action of a sports personality can and is scrutinised that there are few saints left and the sporting legends of the past were not whiter than white, but surely we can not venerate this man?

I say an interview with a woman when Tyson came to fight in Glasgow and she was singing his praises as the worlds greatest boxer (better that Ali), the interviewer asked her if she was aware of the fact that he was a convicted rapist. That doesn't matter she replied, its Tyson. At that point I lost a little more hope for the human race.

Cuddles

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've got to agree with cuddles, in the ring, boxing is a sport (hell, even outside the rin its meant to be the 'noble art' of self defence) Tyson is a thug, and I was disgusted to find out that his fight with Lewis is to go ahead.

5. Andy Murray

The beauty of the open forum is that we all get the opportunity to express our views. If we all thought the same, there would be no point in having a forum. I like to read about other peoples opinions, especially when they differ from my own, as I go back and look at the issue from another angle. Empty Cup and all that.

Opinions generally are strongest on either side of a controversy.

As regards 'Tyson' see if you can dig out old footage of him pre-Robin Givens. Even better, watch the original Holyfield match again a little more carefully.

6. Andy Murray

I just figured out why we have no Boxers posting on this site!

GUYS.............YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR GLOVES OFF TO TYPE!

7. Freeform

8. Andy Murray

How would a young Tyson have emerged after a fight with Ali?

Let's say Ali fought Tyson instead of Foreman in the old 'Rope a Dope' 'Rumble in the Jungle' thing.

Please don't post unless you have watched these fighters, and therefor have an informed opinion!

9. dragon_duplicat

dragon_duplicat New Member

I totally agree with Cuddles. There aint no way man!

10. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

I don't think that Tyson would have taken Ali. Ali's movement was too good for him to be taken by the Tyson of today. Possibly the pre-prison Tyson but even that would have been a close run thing. Ali was an amazing technical boxer and Lewis has proved that Tyson cannot live with an excellent technical boxer.

Regardless of Tyson's actions outside the ring it is impossible to say that he is not a great fighter. remember, there are lots of different types of boxer - Lewis is a technical boxer, Nigel Benn was a gutsy boxer and Tyson was a great scrapper. All great boxers, all different styles.

With regards to him biting Holyfield's ear - there is no excuse. He was being butted again - as he had in the first match, there is no doubt about that, but, to coin a term that we used on the rugby pitch, you have to play the ref. You use it to fuel your punches and your ability to keep going when everything hurts.

Have to disagree with Cuddles, FreeForm and Dragon_Duplicat - not because "it's Tyson" as the woman in Glasgow said - but because he served his time. I'm not suggesting forgive and forget but the whole basis of our judicial system, and that of the US, is that when you have taken your punishment/served your time you are accepted back into society. It should be noted that throughout his time in prison Tyson maintained his innocence - even when he was told that if he admitted to it he would get out of prison quicker. I don't venerate this man, Cuddles, but I don't allow my disgust at his actions outside the ring to cloud my judgement of his abilities inside the ring.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2002
  11. Freeform

Silver I posted that a while back but I think I was refering to the 'publicity stunt' that was the Tyson/Lewis press conference as my source of disgust. I agree that the man had served his time, I'm also one of the people who isn't 100% convinced that he did the crime.

Opening a can of worms.

Col

12. dragon_duplicat

dragon_duplicat New Member

huh? i didn't quite hear that? yes? oh tyson has my ears. oops. i guess i should have posted this in the joke section. not!

13. Andy Murray

Tyson was like the Rocky story gone wrong.

I still have a lot of the original fights on VHS. I have to disagree with those who say he lacked boxing skills and relied solely on power.
    Knockouts are about 'where' you hit the opponent rather than how hard! Timing is everything, and that's boxing!
    Don't judge Tyson unless you have seen the Tyson coached by Cus d'Amato. Different man entirely

14. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Yes Mike Tyson has been through a lot of ups and downs, and ups and downs agian in his life. Still, I think he is a good fighter, a great fighter even, though his character doesn't show the same we really don't know the man inside like that to say. We only see what he appears to be. Which is a bad picture. Still, I say his fighting skills are up with the greats, though he may not be number one....He is up there I think.

15. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Mike wins again. For a person i dont like, i must say that he sounds like the mike of old, and an old mike. I like his new Tat.

16. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

I don' think Tyson is as great as his hype madeout. When he made his name it was off of beating all the big names who were then past their prime. But Tyson doesn't have the reach to be simply labelled a slugger, he used to have great movement and ability to get inside.

17. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I dont like Mike but i do have to say that he is ok, Even since he was in jail he isnt half the boxer he was. I always loved to watch him fight just so i could hope that he would get beat. The thing is that he always got put against people that you knew he would beat. Then he started to bite people. All down hill from there!

18. THEGREAT1

THEGREAT1 New Member

tyson pre buster douglas was the best boxer there's ever been.

his hand speed was immense, his movement and ability to cut off the ring was superb.

and although everyone thinks his power was what carried him through (and admittedly he is one of if not the heaviest hitter in the sport) ....his technique when throwing punches was incredible, if he lands a heymaker there's no coming back because he knows how to use his body and the opponents momentum against him nad it is very hard to stop that heymaker if tyson gets inside your guard.

(just watch the final punch of golota vs tyson, proves he still has some of that talent even now).

on a side note...if ali does rope a dope to tyson he loses cos tyson punching ability to great.

if he dances ...it's a good fight to watch :p

stil lthink tyson at his peak vs ali at peak = tyson victory.

19. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I've got to disagree Ali at his prime would still have taken Tyson his movement would have been too much for him. although i do think Tyson was a great fighter it is a shame the way things have turned out for him he could have been the dominant force in the divsion for his generation but it didn't quite happen therefore discussions like this will carry on for years to come.

20. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Ali would have been smashed by Mike

Tyson has the power - Ali was not a hard hitter

Both in great shape

Ali was a good psycher of his opponents many lost the fight before they got in the ring - This Tyson was great at as well.

Boxing has moved on and the fitness and training methods have improved since Ali's time. I just think Tyson was too powerful, once Tyson has injured someone he goes in for the kill.

His fight record is excellent and he moved well.

SONSHU