Mike Tyson

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by vampyregirl, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I think you just like Knockout Artists. And Tyson was one of the best ever.

I like me some KO Artists as well like Ricardo Lopez and Julian Jackson. Although Lopez could be top for some other categories as well.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Tyson's major error against Douglas was that by then he'd become his own trainer,and the results showed it.Don't know where you get the idea from but I don't recall any speculation by any of the writers,boxers,or trainers at the time about his being in the wrong weight class. It was pretty obvious he just crapped out on his own. Seriously,you think Douglas was actually a better fighter than Pinklon Thomas who Tyson had beaten earlier? Ever see Pinky's jab,which often was more of a straight lead? He hurt people with that thing. Douglas couldn't hit that hard with his left on his best day. Couldn't match Pinky's rear hand with his either.

Tyson took Douglas lightly as Buster was known for inconsistent performances and training.Douglas showed up in the shape and mindset required for a title fight.The other guy didn't.

Yeah,Tyson became a pretty one-dimensional fighter after jettisoning Rooney. It was a shame seeing a guy who had displayed overall skill and smarts basically turning into the guy who just wanted that one shot. The real loss is he initially had such a great combination of power plus the skills of as you put it " more technical fighters". My impression at the time he was coming up was that if such overall development continued he could become the greatest HWC ever.

Going with King was pretty much the doorway to the downward slide. Combine the Don w/all of Mike's other problems....

Geez, I rooted against Ali for his whole career but how can anyone not see him as one of the greats? Yeah,not unlike Johnson he coasted a lot but there's no denying his abilities.

As it's acknowledged that he was light years ahead of his time I think given time for reflection you'll have to agree that Johnson was truly the first post-Corbett "modern" style fighter.:p

Don't forget Joe's biggest problems were against boxers-look at how LHW Conn almost won the title in the first match and would have if he hadn't decided to slug w/Joe.Dummmmmb move! Footwork-not Joe's strong point. Walcott outboxed him in masterful style and was robbed-even Louis knew he'd lost and had to be called back into the ring to accept the win.

Walcott-now there was a guy who could do it all,one reason he didn't get the fights he should have.In that regard similar to Charlie Burley. Often ducked.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

So a post on a Facebook Organization page I'm "liked" to posted a picture of Mike Tyson with a famous saying, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." The mod. posted, "Say what you will, dude was a bad mofo".

Favorite comment underneath that was later deleted: "Too bad he's a draft dodger."

:bang::bang:

4. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I loved watching Tyson. I agree with PASmith.
    Man, Tyson was so exciting, such a blasting animal.haha.
    I always wanted to see my home boy David Tua fight him.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Tyson's downfall was that he simply was better in training and his skills showed much better in training than in the ring. His other downfall was taking ANYONE lightly in this sport. When was the last time you saw Floyd Jr. take any of his opponents lightly? The guy runs 3 or 4 times a day, goes to the gym 2 or 3 or more times a day... sometimes 1 in the morning or later. He's competitive. If Tyson focused as much time as beating his women and not only that but BRAGGING about it, maybe he would have been better.

A mediocre fighter is a mediocre fighter... if he trains hard, he might beat a guy 1 class higher than him, not a guy who was a 42-1 underdog... Douglas simply was not elite. Further proof of this followed when he went on to get beaten by Holyfield, who wasn't by heavyweight standards known as a big puncher, he just wasn't intimidated by Tyson and had and still has more grit, heart and determination than Tyson could have ever even dreamed for.

Mike was impressive for a time against many fighters who might have been elite, but they were already scared or were starting to get old/already were. I also love how some try to make the argument that Mike vs. Lennox would somehow have been different when Mike was younger lol... you know the difference would have been one thing. MAYBE Mike would have thrown more punches en route to getting knocked out.

Tyson, to me, will always be a guy who had severe mental problems, was inconsistent, lazy, but was skilled in training... all in all he's a circus show and is to this day... see the Hangover 1 and 2 for experience.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

The fight I would have liked to have seen would have been Tyson v. Foreman.

Big George had a style that was perfect for fighting Iron Mike. I think it would have been a replay of the Foreman - Frazier fights except it would have taken a little longer because big George was a bit older. George could take a punch, heck, he could take lots of them and he still had tremendous power even at his age. Iron Mike had never fought anyone that could hit that hard.

It would have been great.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Tyson gets ko'd quick, foreman was HUGE and could punch.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But he also moved like molasses. Moorer had him beat by a mile if he hadn't have decided to play "weeping angel" in front of him.

Tyson was an underrated boxer in terms of movement and I doubt Big George would have landed much of consequence

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Underrated in terms of technique too.

Tyson was a student of boxing and he wasn't just the thug the media made him out to be.

I think many of todays heavyweights could do a lot worse than take a leaf out of Tyson's book.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Take a look at this, hardly the untrained thug the media portrays.

Awesome defensive skills, always in range, but always out of range.

Superb. I could watch this all day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYZzMPsm6c4"]Mike Tyson' s incredible defence - YouTube[/ame]

11. Hannibal

Incredible head movement and love how he works those angles - could be a JKD man! :)

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Still, Mike did not being hit and the first time Foreman hit him with one of those hams the whole flow of the fight would have changed.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People like to dump on Tyson because he is, let's face it, a pretty terrible human being, but as a boxer in his prime, he was one of the greatest of all time.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I never said Tyson didn't have skill, I said more of it was displayed in training, rather than in the ring. Look at it like this... if Tyson was so elite, why was Holyfield winning the first time and then won the second time and the same guy got outboxed by a middleweight in James Toney... Toney would have SCHOOLED Tyson too.

15. Saved_in_Blood

No, he wasn't at all a GOAT of the HW's. He happened to be young when he won. He had skill, but a lot of guys that never get a shot at the pros have skill and never get noticed.

16. Hannibal

Because Holyfield is one of the best boxers to grace the HW division - few people (except me and about 15 others I knew) gave Evander any chance...I did and bet on him in both fights

Toney vs Holyfield should not even enter the discussion; at Cruiser in his prime Holyfield eats Toney

17. Saved_in_Blood

No he doesn't... Toney's boxing skills were TOP notch, and his chin was even better than Holyfield. Don't get me wrong, Holyfield is the model of heart, but he lacked the pure boxing skill and defense, while Toney's defense is absolutely top notch Why shouldn't Toney enter the discussion? This is boxing... Holyfield got beaten by him, and Holyfield also beat Tyson. Styles make fights and 9 out of 10 times Toney would have beaten him. You're letting your heart get in the way of common sense.

18. Hannibal

No I'm not, it's just what I believe would happen. Toney wasn't the best in his division - that was RJJ. Toney also lost to Griffin twice. At LHW he lost to Thadzi - so how he beats an in prime Holyfield I do not know

Toney is slick - VERY slick - but so is Tyson. A past his prime Toney beats a past his prime Holyfield. Past his prime Tyson would have beaten Toney IMO, but we will never know.

19. Saved_in_Blood

agree to disagree then... good points either way.

20. Hannibal

Agreed mon ami :)