Miao Dao

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

While i was in china at a seminar a Kung fu teacher(bagua teacher) thought us a miao dao set but i cant find any history on the weapon the master said the chinese took it from japanese pirates?I think it might be right because of the katana shape only longer?
    Does anyone know some more about this weapon?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

Yeah thats a diffrent story :)
    It was the tongbei form but i personally dont like the form because its to stiff.
    But its an awesome weapon,and now im leaning more towards jkd so i think i will keep the forms i learnd but i dont want to learn more forms

Thanks for the answer :)

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The Chinese Miao Dao was invented during the Ming dynasty by the general Qi Jiguang to be used on "Wokou 倭寇 - Japanese pirates". Since Japanese pirates had a lot respect to the samurai sword, the Miao Dao was designed just like the samurai sword but longer and heavier. It scared the YKW, you've been here more than long enough to know this isn't on. -ap out of those "Wokou 倭寇 - Japanese pirates" back then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjTpwvLFBU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjTpwvLFBU[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Of course the majority of "Wokou" weren't Japanese.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Thinking about the Katana copy myth, if you look at other times when China organised a mass recruitment and mobilisation a form of 2 handed sabre appears to have been a common choice. Maybe massed spear tactics took too long to train?

7. Ben Gash CLF

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd have thought mass spear would be far quicker to train up a force.

9. Hannibal

I would rather face 10 peasants with spears and no clue than 10 peasant with 3 ft razors and no clue!

Randomnly waving a sword around is a lot harder to deal with than randomnly waving a spear

10. Dean Winchester

Stand them in a line, shoulder to shoulder, work on a few good thrusts and such and you have a nice wall of pointy death.

Quick to train, quicker than sword, and relatively effective for the time and effort you'd have to put in.

11. Hannibal

Also easier to rout, harder to move and within smaller encounters (villages, tracks or woodland) useless

I can see pros and con's for both in terms of a wepon of war but if I had to equip a bunch of untrained yahoos with a weapon to cause problems it would be a sword

12. Dean Winchester

Sorry, I assumed we were just talking battlefield.

Give them some pointy sticks and stick them on the front line! :D

13. Dean Winchester

Though we all know it's the three section staff where the real action is. :eek:

14. Hannibal

Ahh! You saw that too :) - Frodo axed it before I could play with the fresh meat....

15. Dean Winchester

Yes. He got extra marks for almost falling over at the start but I just kept waiting for the rest of the majorettes to turn up.

In some ways it fits in nicely with this thread, if we think about combative viability which that clip had very little of when compared to the amount if flash in it.

16. Hannibal

Weren't the Miao Dao supposed to be cavalry slicers?

17. Dean Winchester

Chinese stuff dude, I pretty clueless.

Looks big enough though but it's rather straight.

18. Hannibal

Reminds me a bit of a Grosse Messer

19. Dean Winchester

20. Dean Winchester

Yeah I imagine it would make a gross mess of someone.