Messed up shoulder?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Southpaw535, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So I'm off to the hospital tommorow morning to get my shoulder checked but thought I'd ask on here anyway. We were practicing a new version of the omoplata in class (a completely win version btw) and while I was on the receiving end my other shoulder clicked when it hit the mat.

Afterwards my shoulder felt a bit wierd and my hand was vaguely numb, tried to do a light roll but straightened my arm in a standing guard pass and had a shot of pain so had to stop. Iced it down but still struggling, its painful when I make either violent movements or hold it at certain angles: I couldn't take my shirt off without pain for instance, seems to mostly be when my arm goes above shoulder level.

Now dude at the club said he had a similar injury before and I think he said it was a ligament but he did also mention tendons and the rotator cuff as possibilities. Luckily I'm skinny as hell so can locate the spot pretty easily and using words its the front of the bit that sticks up when my arms by my side, or when lifted its in the hollow.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...age=1&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=134&ty=58

Looking at that pic I'm going to say....coracoacromial ligament but I have no idea really.

So any help here?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just wait till you get checked. shoulders are complicated, so could be anything, really (which is essentially what the dude at your club said).

just keep it rested and wait till tomorrow.

3. Fish Of Doom

double post

4. Southpaw535

but I'm an impatient bugger :p thanks dude

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the dodgy shoulder club mate! You join the honoured ranks of Mitch, Moi and me (and I'm sure there are others out there too).

See what the hospital says before doing anything about it. Remember to tell them you are actively participating in sport and don't just use the arm to aim the remote control at the telly!

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Me too !!!

7. Fish Of Doom

i subluxed my left shoulder by reaching down to my right foot

can you beat that?

8. Frodocious

You rock! I did mine falling out of a kayak!

However, several years ago, I did twist a joint in my neck turning round to get a packet of crisps whilst watching telly! Proves that junk food is bad for you!

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I damaged my rotator cuff to the extent that more than 6 months later it's still pretty bad.

I did it by yawning. I was really tired, mind.

Mitch

10. Frodocious

Wow! That must have been a heck of a yawn!

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

And don't be tempted to train untill you do. You will be tempted, but do not do it, you don't want something that could be gone in a month to linger for years.

12. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I once tore my obliques really badly while *sneezing*.

In fairness I already hurt the area doing roundhouse kicks...

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Supriseing how annoying it can be even for slight damage. I've got my second appointment this coming weekend to sort it (if I'm not working)

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

My money's on a duff rotator cuff.

15. thauma

thauma Valued Member

See a doctor, and see what they suggest.

Stress that you are active and need full use for sport. Don''t be fobbed off by NHS excuses (there is only so much budget - but it can be spent!)

Rest will be essential and then appropriate rehab....... don't just dive straight into your normal training regime. If there is a weakness it needs to be protected by building up the surrounding areas!.

If you have private medical - then insist on a referral to a sports medic, and not just any old Doctor. It's unlikely that you'll find a medic that understands exactly what you do for fun, but a sports medic has more chance of being in the right ball park.

If physio is involved - do the exercises as they suggest - most people do them for a day or two and then stop - this isn't recovery - it's foolishness.

I damaged my shoulder 15 year ago and it still gives me problems - bad NHS treatment, and by the time we got to the right people (private) the damage was done causing longer term recovery - so be polite, but insist that you get the right treatment from the right people.

Hopefully it's nothing and you'll be back before you know it.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Sounds like a minor shoulder separation to me. If it was bad one, you would be in a lot more pain, or so I assume from your description. In any case, it is always good to undertake some self trigger point therapy massage in order to release any unnecessary muscle tension in the surrounding soft tissue, which may be pulling your shoulder out of balance/ This may have caused or contributed to your injury or may be one of the effects of the injury.

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/

Can get it from Amazon and other major book shops.

Check out this book, its very helpful:

17. Southpaw535

I'm in a club? Sweet.

Anyway I have a grade 2 ligament tear so I'm slinged for about a week, but hopefully that'll open a talking point with a certain lady, and I've beeen told to stay away from contact sports and do some steady home physio to toughen it. Got told 6 weeks to heal but I can't really seen me staying out of bjj for that long. Probably 2 weeks and then some light technique work with no rolling. Sucks that this puts me out of another comp

18. Frodocious

Bad news - but it could be worse!

If they've told you 6 weeks then really you should stick to the 6 weeks thing, otherwise you're setting yourself up for potential re-occurrence problems with the shoulder. Work on your conditioning or something.

I know how difficult it can be staying away from training (I had to ditch my deadlift night tonight due to my bad back feeling really stiff - I jarred it stepping off a kerb awkwardly last week after my Olympic lifting class), but it's better to wait 6 weeks now, than start training for a couple of weeks, make the tear worse and find out you've got to take 6 months off!

19. thauma

thauma Valued Member

man that's bad news from a training perspective, but not too big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

However if you go back too early you run a big risk of making it worse rather than better. That will lead to more than 6 weeks or recovery in the long term and potentially put you out of competing for good!. You may know your limits, but your training partner may just take things a little too far and then you are in trouble.

So my suggestion is to use your bench time productively....
    • visualisation (a greatly under rated tool)
    • work on other areas of fitness
    • do the physio extensively - but don't push the joint, make sure it heals
    • work on the mental aspects of your game
    • enjoy the time and allow your body to recover

So protect it now, take the time for a full recovery and then you'll be back stronger and better prepared than ever.

Good Luck

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

fixed. :)