Merged Threads: UFC74 (results included)

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

are you serious!? when was your last cat scan? Randy is an amazing guy, no doubt about it, but a focused, improved cro cop would kick randys head into the skybox. Mirko has plenty of room to circle and his takedown defense is arguably the best in the game.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Yeah, 'cause it worked so well with Gonzaga... :rolleyes:

I'll admit, there are intangibles. Will Mirko be "focused" and "improved"? Has he learned to deal with a cage yet? Will Couture's age FINALLY catch up with him?

I had a quallifier: *if* Randy can fight Crocop the way he fought Gonzo, he'll win. Takedown defense means nothing when the "floor" is vertical (the wall). Likewise, *if* Crocop bring his "A" game, he can end the fight very early. He's got that one-strike KO power, no doubt about it.

I honestly think the respective mental states will play into it. If Crocop talks himself into believing that Randy's "just a wrestler" and all he needs to do is wait for his opening, he may well end up loosing. His performance suffers when he takes the other guy lightly. Add to that the fact that he's basically a one-trick pony (a very good one), and I think it's more than concievible that Couture develops the game plan he needs to beat him. Instead of running and circling, like he usually does, Mirko needs to stay in the center of the cage as much as he can. I'm just not sure how well he can change up his game.

Chill out, kid. No need to get wound up over something like this.

3. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

What an event, I was so happy that Couture and GSP won and especially that Koscheck lost. Here are some of my thoughts on some of the fights.

Huerta vs Crane
    Huerta did very well when fighting on the ground and his fitness levels are amazing but the when you see him using the big screen to his advantage he became a legend for me. I think he is a great fighter but deserves some better competition to prove himself.

GSP vs Koscheck
    I was a bit worried about GSP as sometimes after a loss fighters struggle with the first fight after, well I had nothing to worry about as he was very strong from the moment the bell rang. I think that part of his game plan was to put Koscheck on his back as this is something he will not be comfortable with and it showed. GSP was great on his feet and on the ground and his take down defence is very good. Can't wait to fight for the title and hope it is against Matt Highes as I don't like him.

Couture vs Gonzaga
    I thought Gonzaga would destroy Couture and was not the case, Couture was strong and looked good. He had a game plan stuck to it and won convincingly in the third round.

I cannot beleive it again that people are so quick to dismiss Couture against cro crop and fedor, yes they are amazing fighters and I am not saying Randy would beat them but he would give them a challenge. This is mma and anything can happen, if someone told a year ago that cro crop would be knocked out by a head kick or Tim Sylvia would be dominated by Randy Couture you would not have beleived them.

4. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Lol, how can you say he'd have no chance against the guy that got beat by the guy he beat?!

Gonzaga messed Cro-Cop up with a ground and pound clinic before the high kick, Randy could easily utilise his Greco to do the same. Plus the size advantage is negligible. I'm not saying it;s a given that he would win but it's more than possible.

I also think Nog is better than Gonzaga

5. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

I'm saying it................Randy will beat Nog, Cro - cop and Fedor...................now bet against me, ( and Randy............ha ha ! ).

Jaae.

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Because styles clash diffrently, silva<rampage rampage<chuck, get it?

7. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

This fight completely stole the show for me too. I thought the commentating on it was great as well (hence my sig). Huerta just showed that he was truly a force to be reckoned with.

8. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Possible candidate for worst reply i've seen...

Little arrow symbols do not constitute a good debate my friend

9. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

I loved the fact that the commentors said "it's about 51% against Randy in this fight" (or words to that effect) and then after the first 2 minutes Joe goes "well you can't count Randy out ever, he's got such heart".... YOU JUST WERE! Sports people *shakes head*

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Three cheers for Sherdog Logic. Ignoring the obvious hole in your attempted debunking of MMAth, you got the symbols the wrong way around :rolleyes:
    Crocop's a very tricky matchup for Randy if he's on form. Of course, that's always a big "if" with Crocop, but Couture has struggled with good, evasive counter-strikers recently (see last two Liddell fights - he couldn't get the clinch and got KO'd both times) and Crocop's undoubtedly the best exponent of that style he'd face

11. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

did anyone hear about Babalu during a dark match at 74? (incidentally thats where all the blood in the middle of the octagon came from)
    story is he refused to release a choke hold and will get his cash docked

from SI

Renato "Babalu" Sobral impressed fans with his skills, but enraged them with his lack of sportsmanship. Sobral, a top light heavyweight, had words with opponent David Heath at Friday's weigh-in. That bad blood carried through to the fight, which Sobral dominated with a brutal ground and pound attack that badly bloodied Heath.

The conclusion of the fight was controversial. Sobral sunk in a second-round choke, and Heath tapped. Sobral refused to break the hold and continued to apply the choke for an additional three to five seconds. After the fight, Sobral admitted that he held the choke on long, saying, "I just thought that I needed to teach him respect after he showed me so much disrespect."

He had $25,000 of his purse withheld for his actions.

link here

12. spirez

spirez Valued Member

13. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

ta loads for the link.
    That was nasty.

14. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Well Tekken, as usual, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The grand thing about this particular difference of oppinion is a Coture/Cro Cop fight is actually reasonably likely to happen at some point so we can just wait and see. I say Randy could pull it off, but it will be a war no matter who wins. I know I woud be ordering that event.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

exactly, no one does counter striking better than cro cop. I dont see it happening, i just dont see randy managing there, that and mirko has spent these last few months adapting his game to the cage and elbows.

16. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Ya know, I'm glad to hear the crowd boo Babalu for not respecting the rules or his opponent. Honestly, I didn't think he held on THAT long, but that scene ought to be replayed everytime the media characterizes MMA fans as nothing more than bloodthirsty savages.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

18. stump

stump Supersub

It doesn't really take a lot for a UFC crowd to boo - at least in this case it was justified and not just because their attention span was stretched. Babalu held the choke in spite of the ref instructing him to let go - and that was the problem. You dont have to let go when an opponent taps - but you do have to obey the ref. I hope he is made an example of...there's been a few cases of this happening in the UFC (Hughes did it against Trigg in their first bout). Mazagatti should have handled it better though. He should have been kneeling - hard - on Babalu's face directly after the second time he had to ask - not pawing uselessly at his arms.

Shame really as Babalu is an amazing fighter - but a bit of a tosser also it seems

19. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Would YOU fancy kneeling on his face?! lol

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Ref instruction verbal and physical should be enough, would Mazigatti really wanna kneel on his face? nope cant say i think he would, Jon Mcarthy however would fixed that =) i love the old days of him just straight tackling fighters off of each other.