Merged Threads: UFC74 (results included)

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

War Gsp!

2. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Thanx sooo much for the vid!

3. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Jujitsu doesn't give you as much clinch work as Greco-Roman does. It gives you way more options on the ground and more options working from you back but wrestling dominates in the clinch, the takedown, and arguably top positions.

You are right Couture is bigger. I think this is the biggest he's ever been. I heard him on an interview on sherdog explaining he made a concious decision to eat up to that size. Apparently eating that much was one of the harder parts of his training.

Random Triangle thanx for the vids.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good old Randy,1 up for us older boys! :)

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I have nothing but the utmost respect for randy, i really REALLY hope we get to see
    Randy vs Crocop or Randy vs Fedor

6. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Take it this was UFC 74?
    If so i watched the fight last night, dirty boxing ftw.

7. SteelyPhil

74 again? If so GSP was get alarmingly better, and just took Kos completely by surprise i think when he wrestled him to the floor constantly (til the last round).
    Was a great fight to watch though.

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Dead link as content has been removed. Have the outcomes been posted in the MMA section yet? I haven't seen anything.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yes it was. The video's gone, anyhow

11. SteelyPhil

I sky+'d it last night and watched it with The_Lump, good set of fights. Not sure when Gonzaga broke his nose though, if it was via Couture's head during a slam seems a bit unfair as that was one of the main factors in his defeat.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Randy's amazing. He's finding it tough in the heavyweight division so drops to LHW. Eventually finds that tough as well(thanks to Chuck) and so retires aged 42, good decision, age catching up with him etc etc. Then after more than a year of retirement he comes out and wins the HW championship again against a much bigger opponent and one who had been dominent as champion. Then he defends the title against a fighter who is coming off a win against one of the best heavyweights in the world. Its crazy, its insane, its not how things work in MMA!

I'd love to see him against Fedor, Nog or Cro Cop next. Personally I think he's got a chance against any of them, even Fedor.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah Couture VS Nog would be a very interesting match up. :D

14. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

It's official: Randy Couture is now my hero, too. That was an incredible performance against a highly-favored opponent, and at 44, Randy defied the odds once again.

I'm all for him vs. Nog. They've got comparable stand-up, and their strengths on the ground could possibly neutralize the other. Add that they're about the same weight, and you've got a nice match-up.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

No, now dont get ahead of yourself, hes an amazing fighter but he doesnt have snowballs chance in hell against Cro Cop or Fedor, Nog however i give him a thumbs up

16. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Ufc 74

Wow! I did not get to see it but I heard Randy picked Gonzaga up and slammed him down to the mat and broke his nose. That's when it started going downhill for Gonzaga. Great job by Couture again. GSP did a great job too.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

17. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

This was a good card with some very exciting fights. Particularly Couture/Gonzaga and GSP/Koshceck. If you missed them then try and check them out somewhere. :cool:

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Further proof, as though it were needed, that Couture is indeed the man:
    one of Gonzaga's kicks that Couture blocked actually broke his forearm and Couture still beat on him like he owed him money. Source
    I'm not sure Couture could handle a focussed Crocop or Fedor, but a match against him and Noguiera would be very interesting. That's one I think could honestly go either way
    For convenience's sake, I've merged all the threads on this event to this one

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  19. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I dunno. Crocop's a counter-striker who likes to run & needs a lot of room. If Randy fought him the way he fought Gonzaga, I think he'd pull it out.

Fedor, though... he's probably the only guy who is better at clinch takedowns than Randy. He's like a younger, better version of him. Who can kick, too.

20. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

At the moment, I think Fedor gives every heavyweight nightmares and cold sweats. I have to admit, I'd love to see Randy fight Fedor, but I fear for his well being. As for Randy vs. Cro Cop (a much more likely matchup anyway), I think Randy could potentially pull that one off. I wouldn't be willing to put money on either side frankly, but if nothing else UFC 74 just proves once again, any fighter who underestimates Coture does so at their own risk. Gonzaga beats Cro Cop, Randy dominates Gonzaga just =/= Cro Cop dominating Coture in my mental calculations. Great event.