Mental & Physical Toughness in Fighters

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Pugil, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

As an example of Mental & Physical Toughness in Fighters, check out this fight from the 80's between Savate fighter, Gilles Le Duigou (France), and Ishima from Japan.

Le Duigou had both arms broken in the first round. He told me that he knew one was broken badly, but didn't realise the other one was fractured too:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7uw2j_leduigou-vs-ishima_sport

2. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Fight history of Gilles Le Duigo:

Fought a total of 114 competitive contests, and lost only about half a dozen in all. He had over 60 bouts in full-contact Savate ~ approx 14 in Kickboxing (kicks above the waist only) ~ and about the same number in Full-Contact (kicks above and below the waist) ~ and he also had 20 contests in Boxing including 6 Pro fights (4 wins, 2 losses).

He was coached in Full-Contact by the legendary Dominic Valera, and François Petitdemange.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Some great info there, Pugil. Some people are born tough, others have toughness beat into them through hard training!

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I remember when I first heard about that and I gotta admit, any ideas that the French were wussies after that was long gone. He still won that fight with just his kicks if I remember right.

That's why I think training with contact is so important for martial artists. A lesser man without that kind of tough hard-nosed training and attitude would have quit right from the get go and not even keep going. Le Duigou did though, which makes him one bad motor scooter in my book.

5. tgace

tgace Valued Member

I have always been of the opinion that the easiest route to "mental toughness" is through physical conditioning. Pushing through the "I wanna quit" moments in your workout is an inoculation against the "I wanna quit" moment in a fight.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I agree. Although for some, they think they maybe training to get tough, or think they trained and are tough, but in reality, they still haven't made it to a decent level. Misguided thoughts or complacency could be a terrible thing.