Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ooops. Blocked for copyright reasons you naughty boy. Music maybe?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Definately get it done now. Although I am still fit I cannot do the stuff I did when I was 20. I was a good breakdancer as well as a Martial Artist. I wish I had videos of me doing what I did then to show my kids.

Don't regret it guys, go and get it on video, even if you don't post it here.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

currently uploading 3 ~44-second-long clips of me improvising a slip line with a bo and failing HARD at using it.

will edit post with links as soon as they're up

EDIT:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOmW2dz2rA"]YouTube- slip line fail 1[/ame] video 1, nothing special

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRIreOVBKvU"]YouTube- slip line fail 2[/ame] video 2, i bonk my head against the bo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkATwe6fzXs"]YouTube- slip line fail 3[/ame] video 3, i fall backwards against my bedroom door :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good thread. Slip, will definatly try to do the low rider exercises.

Spiderman presses are a lot of fun. I dont have a youtube account so if I film something can I pass it along? I'm not a big fan of being in front of camera, thats the other thing.

5. Fish Of Doom

ok, i just did slip's routine, exchanging two of the exercises for the band ones since i didn't have room. nearly died, then failed badly at the low-riders (anchored the band too high, i think :p)

will upload video in a bit

6. Fish Of Doom

ok, video upload will take longer than expected. turns out i spent just over 20 minutes on it :D

EDIT: have no fear, part 1 is here!: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBzfosftcTU"]YouTube- Dying in slip's routine, part 1[/ame]

part 2 is still 20 minutes away, part 3 further still. will link them here tomorrow (aka later today :p)

7. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoJCqfuAU94"]YouTube- Dying in slip's routine, part 2[/ame] part 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsNnTtlSLHs"]YouTube- Dying in slip's routine, part 3[/ame] part 3

band exercises were fail, proper breathing was non-existant. that aside, it was fun. i noticed it seems to be somewhat light on the legs and abs (either that or i was too tired and didn't do it properly. slip will have to pass judgement on that, and i'll have to see how feel tomorrow), while heavy on the arms and shoulder girdles.

IMO, i'd add some squatting and ab work, be it normal ab exercises or more isometrically engaging ones.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok looking through them now... and will come back with some thoughts in this space. :p

9. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Hey slip your last vid isn't workin.

10. slipthejab

Should be back up soon. :woo:

11. Fish Of Doom

just did this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVhS-VaCKQ"]YouTube- preliminary test - alternating plyo one arm pushups[/ame]
    will re-do properly once arms are recovered.

thoughts?

12. slipthejab

Me likes!! Yeah bro those are tough! Ok that's on my list of stuff to get done this coming week. Will post it up! :cool:

I'll still come back to comment on your earlier posts... I haven't forgot I just got to get through today's PT's and collect my thoughts.

13. Fish Of Doom

cheers, mate. i'll probably wait a couple of days before trying anything else, because your routine really killed my shoulders, and i just 5x5'ed 30 kg on the front squat (cleaning from the floor) and 50 on the deadlift this evening (i weight ~54 right now), so i'm pretty much out of commission (you can tell from that last vid, my torso bent like crazy because my shoulder just wasn't moving).

i take back my comment about your routine not hitting the legs, though, they just took a bit more time to start hurting :D. though i still think a couple ab exercises would be nice to throw in (but i'm the kind of guy that LIKES not being able to move for two days after working out :p)

14. Simon

Quick video done this morning using a Swiss Ball.

The exercise is called Duck & Recover and is a core stability drill I use to help with a recent weak back and core.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rnw2053Mw"]YouTube- Duck & recover.wmv[/ame]

I noticed a few faults, for one I should have engaged my core a little more and not let the hips drop. The idea is to eventually rise up onto the tip of each elbow.

Don't mind admitting I have fallen off a few times.

15. slipthejab

Ok here goes:

1) Good on ya for posting! If more people manned up and did this we'd have a far more interactive MAP!

2) If you're focus is core stability... I would suggest a few things:

- Don't make the movement explosive and dynamic. Not just yet. Progress to that... but start it off as a slow controlled movement.

- The bounce isn't going to add anything to your core stability or really dynamic reflex because it's simply relying on the bounce from the Swiss ball.

- The same exact movement can be performed in a slow controlled manner and it will much more challenging and much greater benefit to your core and lower back. You will be more heavily engaging core stabilizers and core mobilizers. Not to mention working rotational power as well.

A progression from easier to harder would be as follows:

1) the same movement done slow and controlled. As you rotate side to side come up onto the outside of the shoulder... reaching up with a rotation movement through the torso and keep the hips up away from the ground.

2) to progress it start out with light dumbbells... and work the same movement.. pressing DB's up towards the ceiling. If you use a single dumbbell it becomes far more challenging than two DB's held in either hand. Your core will have to recruit far more muscle fiber to keep it stable and if you use two DB's - because with two DB's the other side acts as a counter balance... meaning less recruitment of muscle fiber and less core workout. In the same way you do single sided DB bench press and it's much more challenging than benching two DB's at same time.

3) if you want to make this a compound movement to engage more muscle fiber, more proprioception and balance...

Start with butt on your heels/ground and then roll up into the bench position... while holding one DB in hand - thereby engaging the glutes as you work to not drop the hips down... then press the DB up and down in controlled manner and and then roll back down to but on butt on heels position. Compound movement requiring you to use core stabilizers, mobilizers and your lumbo-pelvic hip complex.

I'm a big fan of the Swiss ball. It's one of the few decent things to come out of the fitness industry. People underestimate just how hard drills on it can be!

Ok that's just my first take on seeing your posted vid. I'll wait for more info from you though. Again thanks for posting it!

16. Simon

Thanks for the reply Slip. I did say on an earlier post to put up or shut up, so I thought I'd better put up.

You are quite right about the slower movements. I do some training with a Chek practitioner (I think you do the same, is that right) and he has me doing some of the things you suggested.

When I first had my back problem the diagnosis was weak psoas muscles. Larger muscles (such as the glutes) had taken over and caused an imbalance. When I did my first few workouts I could hardly walk in the clinic and was surprised how hard the slow movements were.

The swiss ball, foam roller and some basic movements as you described have helped me on the road to recovery.

The thing is with videoing yourself is the difference between how you feel and how bad you generally look. I agree though that more should post video's.

Thanks again for your help.

17. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Good vids so far! Been trying to dig up my camera so I can make of vid doing slips workout.

18. Simon

I think this thread is an excellent idea. Even vid's done with a mobile phone are good enough and like I have said before, I wish I had video's of me when I was younger. There is so much stuff I would like to be able to show my kids.

Fear, bravado or ego need not be a factor here either. Look how honest Fish was with his posts, I spotted poor form in my clip, but feedback from others has been positive.

More clips please.

19. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Never thought about using my phone, will try that now actually

20. slipthejab

Yeah fellas straight up honesty is good stuff here. It's the best way to growing and learning. It's not a contest anyhow - so we do away with that right off the bat!

Though - at some point it would be good to get another sticky going strictly for challenges! Though... only if there are age categories... I'm gettin long in the tooth! LOL!