Mega BJJ fan...complete novice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GracieFan, Aug 25, 2010.

1. GracieFan

GracieFan Valued Member

Greetings to the forum.
    My name's Brandon.

I'm 25 years old, from Oklahoma City.

I'm a total novice when it comes to any form of martial art, but I've been a fan of mixed martial arts for about ten years, and lately my wife and I have become more and more interested in Brazilian jiu-jitsu as a fighting art by itself.

We "spar" (ie, play around) frequently, pulling off basic (I mean BAAASIC) submission holds every now and then, though we've both fallen into a pattern and have learned to defend against each other fairly well.
    I have a propensity to only use my upper body (where I'm stronger), and she (being a champion swimmer) has a tendency to only use her lower body.

Thus, I pull off americanas and keylocks all the time, and she's almost choked me out via triangle several times (and by gogoplata once).
    But like I said, we've learned how to defend against each other in those situations, for the most part.

We're both college students at the moment, and being thus strapped for time and money haven't been able to actually train, but BJJ fascinates both of us, me for the chessmatch style of constant move and counter-move, and she for the ability to outmaneuver a larger and stronger opponent.

Anyway, hope to meet some cool people here!

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Welcome to MAP! I've had a go at a few BJJ classes and found it to be good fun - I reckon if I had the time I might take that up as second art just for the fun of it really.