Meeting an Irish Cudgeller!

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi all....

Always on the lookout for existing Western folk-martial arts I met up with an Irish cudgeller tonight....

Through the Irish stickfighting Yahoo group, I agreed to meet with a County Antrim cudgeller, John Ramsay who was taught to wield a blackthorn stick in the Irish fashion by his father.
    His wife & newborn baby were in Yorkhill hospital, the reason for him being in Glasgow, so we met outside casualty, where he suggested we get the sticks out & train in the car park!!!

I didn't think this was a good idea and suggested a nearby park, where John took me through some footwork, reminicent of Irish dance steps and techniques and drills of the Irish Bata.
    Being skeptical at the best of times I was pleasantly suprised by what John taught, and wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of his stick! :eek:

Louie

2. Helena Handbask

Helena Handbask New Member

I saw a demonstration of Irish stick fighting in Toronto, it looked pretty intense. I didn't get the name of the club, but the main guy seemed pretty skilled.

3. Louie

Bata

I think that may have been Glen Doyle?? He's Canadian but teaches a style he says was taught by his Irish father or grandfather.

Louie

4. Helena Handbask

Well it was amazing, his speed and power was awesome. Does he teach in Toronto?

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Very interesting.

There is some reference to this kind of an MA in the following book which is a fun read.

King of the Gypsies
    Memoirs of the Undefeated Bareknuckle Champion
    of Great Britain and Ireland

authors: Bartley Gorman w/Peter Walsh
    ISBN: 1-9038-54164

6. Louie

7. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

8. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

Helena, we have to stop meeting like this *lol*. I'm going to Glen's school tomorrow night to train, I'll give a review afterwards.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  9. Louie

Irish Bata

Hi all

Just to elaborate on my impression of the Irish style of stick-fighting.

While the Scottish style is based on Broadsword training, the Irish reminds me of..... Weilding a big axe!!!

The way that the stick is held with the butt end down to the elbow, you hold the shaft near the centre. Unlike escrima sticks the bata is more of a cave-man club with a weighted top-end. You can strike with the club end, or the shaft and the butt of the stick.

The Footwork is similar to Irish/Highland dance steps, which resemble traditional Celt wrestling with kicks, sweeps & trips!!!

Louie

10. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

Took my first irish stick fighting class tonight. Ouch is all I can say, it was awesome!

11. Helena Handbask

I'm giving it a try tomorrow BM, so I hope to meet you in person. THey gave me a free week as well.

12. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

I'll be there!

13. Louie

Irish Cudgel....

Hi all....

Great to hear that your giving it a go!
    If you get the opportunity to post some photos please do!

Looking at Glen's technique on his website it varies from the Co. Antrim style & stance I was shown.

Louie

Attached Files:

14. Helena Handbask

Here are some photos from Uisce class.

Attached Files:

15. Helena Handbask

A few more photos

More photos from Uisce class

Attached Files:

16. Louie

Pics

Hi Helena

Thanks for posting the photos, very interesting.....

:)

Cheers!!!

Louie

17. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Just noticed this thread, can't believe I missed the oppertunity :(

If he's over again we should set up a get together, I'm pretty sure some of my lot would like to see this :D

18. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

I saw your website, Elhig, very interesting.

19. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

credit to Yoda though, he's the web designer & the groups guiding force

20. Louie

Elhiggito....

I PM'd you the day I was meeting him (Wednesday before your Stick-Day), thinking you might phone & join me :rolleyes:

It was along the same lines as the Krabi stuff you were showing me last time I saw you... (When you got in V. close and stabbed me with the but end of the stick)

I was teaching it to Pat in the Heli-Pad on Sunday (Riverdancin') but need to get the real sticks to try it out properly!!!

Next time your down I'd be happy to go through it... and if John's back in Glasgow I'll PM you AGAIN!!!!!!

;)
    Louie