Meditation as good as sleeping

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Macca, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Macca

Macca Valued Member

Meditation...

Hello people, just a question really that i thought i'd ask ya...

Earlier today my TKD instructor said to me that meditating for 15 minutes a day is just as good as getting 4 hours sleep!

Is this true? Because i do not really believe that...lol

Thanks
    Macca :)

2. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

So if thats the case then you could meditate for 30 mins and no longer require sleep!
    Seems a bit far fetched.....but i'm no expert on the subject, would love to here from somebody who is!

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Macca - its like saying head high TKD kicks will help you win a pub brawl

4. Macca

Macca Valued Member

Well...you never know :cool:

5. timex

timex Valued Member

Wish that were true!!!!

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I'll try it at work let you know :p

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why do I expect that this instructor cannot teach one how to meditate in this manner? :rolleyes:

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

OK, now that I've had my silly response I'll give you a serious response Macca.

Deep meditation (for the experienced practitioner) can be used to centre oneself, focus, relax etc. I don't think that it is a replacement for sleep but I do think in a situtation where you are under pressure, tired and cannot sleep due to whatever demands, it can be used. Your instructor's formula has no basis that I can think of (unless he can provide it).

I would personally drink a Red Bull if I were in that situation.

9. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

I can say i disagree with your instructure an i meditate alot.

It does allow the body to feel more aware for sure but does it replace sleep never found that to be the case have had week where i used it rather than sleep still felt tired. It has an effect on your energy but not sure that is the relation 15 minutes = 4 hours nah i have never experienced that much. Maybe anhour 15 minutes = 1hour an that is only if you have a strong method down for meditation. Usually when somone say that they are sleeping for that meditation time. It is liken then to power naping.

10. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Adequate meditation is just like cafeine in that regard; it can't replace sleep, but it can delay it. You'll still have to catch up later and look like a lazy bum for sleeping 12 hours straight.

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Complete crap. Meditation is a good relaxation tool but saying it is as good as 4 hours sleep is pure crap.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Adam, you have extensive expirience in meditation?

13. FATSAN

FATSAN Valued Member

Sleep is a mental process that is necessary to life that cannot be replaced by meditation unless that meditaion is copying the process of sleep in which case you are sleeping and not meditating. Sleeping is not a shutting down of the brain and therefore a period of inactivity. There a about 4 different levels of sleep during which time the processes in the brain change distinctly and at some pionts the amount brain activity can be higher than during waking periods ( probably during REM but I can't remember).

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If lucid dreaming is being conscious in your sleep and some methods of meditation are based on relaxation. Then it is not inconceivable that if you can relax deeply enough you can replicate sleep while staying conscious. I would go as far as saying that with practice one can reach a level of relaxation greater than what most people reach in sleep, thus the meditation would be like sleep.

I have also read in a new science or some other science journal that scientist are developing pills that will cut down the amount of sleep needed, don’t remember the details but I would think that they worked by altering the sleep cycle in some way. Never mind, I found it:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18925391.300

Personally, at one point in my practice I was training in meditative stuff up to six hours a day. Got to a point where two hours of mediation was like a great 8 hour plus sleep. When I would finish I would have difficulty recalling what I did for the last two hours, as if I just woke up. For a few weeks I stopped yawning and could easily stay awake for prolonged periods of time, i.e. 40 hours plus, with no sleep and just meditation. Unfortunately, I no longer have so much time to spend on training, so back to bed for me. :(

The truth is that humans know very little about the mind and its potential. Here are just a few articles that I have found interesting and held on to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4613759.stm

http://www.yale.edu/opa/newsr/05-11-10-04.all.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3236118.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4748292.stm

:)

15. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Adam, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think :)

Seriously though, doesn't most muscle growth and repair take place when you sleep? If so, then that type of meditation must speed up some of the bodies functions (metabolism?) by 1600%.

Just think, if it really works, you could knit broken bones back together by entering a meditative state for a few days instead of spending 6 weeks in a cast!

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  17. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

Dammit, I knew I should have used a calculator :bang:

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

No. Does that mean anything? I don't think so. I don't have to jump off a cliff to know that it would hurt hitting the floor. If you really think that 15 minutes meditation is equivalent to 4 hours sleep, good for you. I think I will stick to sleep thanks.

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I don't know, it may be possible but it would have to be a very "deep" meditation.

IE- Someone who has been meditating all day for 50 years might be able to do it, but unless your a extremely committed monk I would suggest you get a little sleep.

20. Macca

Macca Valued Member

lol cheers for the response back lads, very interesting posts...i thought it was a bit far-fetched aswell. Maybe i should get a new instructor :D :D :D

How many times a day and how long for do you guys (if) meditate for? just out of interest...