Medieval Wrestling

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Throws from the Twirch (Thwart) stance and related techniques from Codex Wallerstein. When utilizing the Twirch stance the thrower positions himself to be somewhat askew to his opponent.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvkPLvoH1vI"]Twirch Ringen (Updated) - YouTube[/ame]

2. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

I enjoyed that. Hope you don't mind some questions.
    Does Twirch Stance refer to the position the two fighters take at the beginning of each shot, with one foot forward and hands on each others' arms?
    What is the origin or purpose of this? Is it a competitive convention or a position encountered in battle?

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The throw at 0.20 has some missing detail such as, "How to disable your opponent's arms when both of your hands are gabbing his leading leg?" When you use your right leg to block your opponent's left leg, the rotation axis is too short. Also just blocking your opponent's left leg will not give you the most effective throw. There are 1 pulling force (both hands grab on opponent's right leg) and 1 blocking force (right leg block opponent's left leg), but the "pushing" force is missing in that throw.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Their grips are so loose, they'd never pull that off on an experienced wrestler.

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

It's co-operative training. It's never going to stand up to much. It's a problem in HEMA that people try to study too much and it ends up lightweight on everything.

The Bear.

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

I believe so, possibly meaning getting into a position in which you can "thwart" your opponent. It could be used both competitively (as in a form of loose-hold wrestling) and as a possible encounter simulation.

I imagine the demonstration is probably more about experimenting with techniques shown in medieval illustrations - which may explain the loose grips and co-operation.

Louie

7. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

That's a typical medieval clinch. The arm grip is likely to maintain arm control if the opponent goes to draw a knife, though you also see mutual "bear hugs" in the art as well. I would say that MEMAG's main weakness is their grappling. Their blade work is very nice, though. They do improve by leaps and bounds, so I would doubt their interpretations look like that now.

Here's an alternative interpretation of one of the techniques from the same manuscript:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRdWR0Fiks"]Kampfringen Fundamentals: Leg Drag - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards,

-Mark