Medieval Dagger

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Aug 27, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Excellent stuff. I know a real sneaky version of the doubtfull thrust. In it the dagger is in the sheath the attacker suddenly thrusts forward and the defender defends..... but it is the sheath that has been used leaving him vulnerable to the true attack which comes from the dagger.Sheath comes high to the eyes and the dagger low to the abdomen.
    Now back to re-reading the posts.

regards koyo

2. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Koyo... :D

Early 1700's Scottish sword master Donald MacBain wrote a great biog/instruction book in which he suggests using both the sword & sheath along with other handy tips like keeping some dirt/dust in your pocket to blind your opponent if he pulls a pistol on you!!!

It's been re=printed in this book along with a few other Scots master's works

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-Sw...8153/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/203-0833559-6770332

Louie

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this thread. I don't know that much about dagger stuff... just a smattering of techniques. Keep them coming, I'm learning lots. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

4. Louie

The Hat Guard

Hi Mark, yes we've got off to a good start :D

Ok, next is how to use 'the hat' guard (see the previous illustration)
    Illustration 1 shows the guard successfully blocking a downward blow...
    Illustration 2 shows the guard being used against a thrust - but as a result of being too slow, not being aware of distance or not being forcefull enough - the attack has got through and pierced the defenders stomach!!!

Using this guard vertically can also block slashing attacks coming in from the sides.....

An old video clip of me and fellow MAP member "teacher" doing a bit of 'knife sparring' in which I use 'The Hat' can be found at: http://stickfighting.tripod.com/id1.html

Louie

Attached Files:

5. koyo

Hi Louie

One of our major principles is to use mobility and body alignment so if we were to use the hat we would also take our body off of the line of attack. Our training is against the possibility of an unexpected attack so we always emphasise "defending" by taking our body out of line. During your video I saw you do this a couple of times.
    An example of the hat could be our cutting down into a knife thrust but again as we are unarmed we would emphsise taking our body off line.

regards koyo
    really enjoying this exchange.

Attached Files:

6. Louie

Hi Koyo...

Yes, I think it would be a natural instinct to move the body off-line and it can be seen in other talhoffer techniques including counters to the Hat, perhaps these particular illustrations represented a situation on a crowded battlefield in which there's no room to move?
    The following illustration shows the defender moving off-line with a possible back-sweep to the leg....

Louie

Attached Files:

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Great thread guys.

8. koyo

POst 26 is spot on if you place a jo (stick) in the hands of the swordsman. Again we can see identical principles in play.

regards koyo

9. Louie

Countering the 'Hat'

One method to counter the hat:
    The first illustration shows that the defender has raised the hat guard to block a point-down stab but the attacker has used this as a feint, reversed his arm so that the point is upward - the blade slashing down across the defenders face.

The second illustration is a continuation of the counter as the attacker steps through, locking his dagger against the defenders wrist while trapping the defender's dagger tight between his arm and chest. He then uses his left hand to push the elbow into an armlock!
    Possibly adding a leg sweep.....?

Louie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  10. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Absolutely Louie,

All these techniques are very familiar. Redirecting the blade and stepping behind the attacker is classic silat :) The last one is begging for a sweep or sapu as we'd say.

Liking the downward pointing daggers, or hell grip as I like to say (hell down/ heaven up)

Loving the pics, keep 'em coming :)

Any links to some information regarding the actual daggers?

Cheers

11. koyo

NOW WE HAVE SOMEONE FROM A SILAT BACKGROUND. WISH ALL THE THREADS WERE LIKE THIS ONE.

Regards koyo

12. Louie

Hi Gajah.... Appreciate your input ;)

The medieval dagger that features in the post # 11 / 12 is a Bollock Dagger, have you ever had a bollocking? Well this is where the saying comes from. The Famous Bollock or kidney shaped Dagger is found in a variety of forms from the 1300's evolving through the Dudgeon dagger 16th 17th centuries into the present day Scottish dirk.
    Size of the blade is between 9 - 12 inches

Louie

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
  13. Louie

Rondel Dagger

The rondel dagger derives its name, subtly enough, from the “rondels” or discs that serve as both a guard and pommel (early examples, sometimes had spherical pommels, but this was uncommon by the mid-15th century). The two discs serve to “lock” the dagger tightly into the wielder’s grip, particularly when wearing armoured gauntlets. This locked grip allowed the wielder to strike with great force, particularly in an overhand grip, emphasizing the dagger’s principle role of punching through mail and the articulations of plate armour.

An article on these weapons can be found at:
    http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_rondel.html

Attached Files:

14. Louie

Going a bit forward in time to 1674.... Petter's manual is pretty 'JKD' direct, with a straight blast to the face before your opponent get a chance to draw his knife.... ;)

OH! and he's trapping the opponents foot as well......

Louie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  15. Louie

Petter's 1674 (He described the techniques as old) solution to a knife attack was in every 1960/70 karate/self-defence manual I can remember, I'm sure in the right conditions with a pair of hardwood shoes it will work :D

Louie

Attached Files:

16. koyo

WEll you have just anticipated my next question. We train in weapons principle to enhance our unarmed techniques.The saying is we should "flow between" empty hand and weapons. Also that even when unarmed we should "fence" an attacker. Do you have similar concepts.

regards koyo

17. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I think Ringeck uses the same as you describe here, but in addition (or extention) of the technique, he puts his right wrist under the opponent's right wrist, puts his left arm in to get a 2 vs. 1 situation, bends up and disarms the opponent.

18. koyo

Oh you beat me by three minutes. Classic stuff.
    Oh and he is using triangular entry.

regards koyo

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Awesome, similar concepts and principles are prevalent in some of the CJMA I train in too. Instead of punching though, to make sure the exponent's hands are still functional, (You can't really hold a sword with broken knuckles - Broke one of mine earlier this year, so I know.) open hand strikes like a web hand to the trachea or a palm to the chin are applied. The other hand would be covering the enemy's sword hand as well, just in case.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  20. Louie

Hi Koyo...

I can't say that I've read specific instructions regarding using the same empty hand/weapons techniques, but illustrations of similar armed/unarmed techniques particularily in Fiori's Italian manual, suggest that Western forms of martial arts developed the same concept.

Boxing is supposed to have developed from fencing, the early 'prize' boxers in the 1600-1700's had to fight each round with a different weapon, often staff, sword & cudgels before moving on to fists. One description that comes to mind refers to the rear hand being mainly used like a buckler (a small shield used for blocking and attacking) so I would assume the lead hand was used like a sword & the footwork was based on the broadsword/backsword methods of the time.

Louie