Meathead suspended over Fox.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by bouli, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bouli

bouli Valued Member

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That is really disappointing. I have been a fan of Mitrione since is TUF days. Now I won't support him any more.

I think there are valid arguments to be discussed about whether Fox should be allowed to fight other women. Scientific issues of fairness, but calling her the names he did is just incredibly ignorant of the issues transgendered people go through. It is also hateful.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Way to dispel those stereotypes about MMA fighters being thick, inarticulate thugs Matt...."Meathead" indeed

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Out of interest, are transgendered people allowed to compete in other major sporting events, such as the olympics?

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Olympics-transgender-quandary-Debate-rages-on-2749169.php

'' Last month, the International Olympic Committee enacted a policy on transsexuals before an elite athlete could force the question. The committee said transgender athletes could compete in the Olympics if they met certain requirements, such as completing genital reconstructive surgery and at least two years of hormonal therapy. The IOC also requires that "legal recognition of their assigned sex has been conferred by the appropriate official authorities," such as by a nation's courts.
    The committee's medical director, Patrick Schamasch, said the policy was designed "more to protect the athlete who has not been sex reassigned than to help the person who is." If an athlete follows the new rules, he said, "we are almost sure that the advantage of the previous gender will have completely disappeared."

And for an balanced informed MMA perspective - By newly signed UFC fighter Rosi Sexton

http://rosisexton.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/my-take-on-the-fallon-fox-controversy/

extract -

''10) I sympathise with Fox’s position, and I don’t entirely agree with those who say that she should not be allowed to fight. On the other hand, I believe it was wrong that Fox’s opponents were not informed of the situation so they could make their own assessment of the risks involved and give consent. This will obviously not be an issue in future in Fox’s case; but I’m concerned about the athletic commissions’ position that the opponent has no right to know. My opinion is that if someone is going to be legally punching me in the face, then it’s absolutely my business if she grew up as a male. While I understand the concerns about privacy, I don’t think that in this case the right to privacy trumps the opponent’s right to make her own informed decision about the risks she is taking.''

which is one of the key points Matt Mitrione amazingly badly mad in his interview.

''“That’s exceptional how he beats innocent, unknowing women like that.”''

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fighters should generally keep quiet and hit people when asked.
    It rarely goes well when they try to address nuanced and complex issues.

7. Dead_pool

Not all Fighters are clever people, But some definitely are.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's why I said generally.
    The clever ones are usually clever enough to keep their views in check and/or express them well enough not to cause offence.
    Some are seemingly so dumb they don't even have the sense to stay quiet and stop making that obvious.

Calling a transgender person a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak” is bigoted, stupid and offensive.
    There's no point being made there. It's abuse of a minority group.
    Sure Fox could have handled things better (being more upfront about her status right from the start) but I see no real reason to lay on the insults that thick.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Meathead was always, well, a meathead. What I found interesting is that the UFc now has a PR clause or whatever its called in fighters' contracts.

10. Dead_pool

The point was, until then Fox had not informed her opponents that she was not born female, therefore to the uninformed its a Man lying so they can beat up a woman.

Its not quite as black and white as it seems, and whilst I disgree with the 'hate speech' I fully agree with rosi's blog

'' I sympathise with Fox’s position, and I don’t entirely agree with those who say that she should not be allowed to fight. On the other hand, I believe it was wrong that Fox’s opponents were not informed of the situation so they could make their own assessment of the risks involved and give consent. This will obviously not be an issue in future in Fox’s case; but I’m concerned about the athletic commissions’ position that the opponent has no right to know. My opinion is that if someone is going to be legally punching me in the face, then it’s absolutely my business if she grew up as a male. While I understand the concerns about privacy, I don’t think that in this case the right to privacy trumps the opponent’s right to make her own informed decision about the risks she is taking.''
    ''