'Meanest mom on planet'

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by oldshadow, Jan 10, 2008.

1. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

I say more power to her. If more parents stopped trying to be their kids’ ‘best friend” and acted like parents the world would be a better place.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/09/mean.mom.ap/index.html

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!:D

I couldn't agree more with this mom.

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Well if those were her rules, and he new them and broke them then thems the breaks.

Whats the point in making rules if you can break them and get away with it? kids gotta learn.

4. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

i LIKE this mom! excellent!

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

SWEEEEET! Go mom!

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yeah right. Blame someone else. :rolleyes:

And if it really was a friend then this kid obviously needs different friends.

7. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

If it's his alcohol fair enough - good parenting.

If it was left there by a friend, then that is quite harsh.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What planet are you people living on?
    When I had my first brush with alcohol at 15 my Mum had to pull be out of the gutter in front of our house as 5 pints of cider rapidly exited my body via my mouth and nose.
    She called me a prat, I felt like an idiot and moderated my drinking from then on.
    That's virtually a coming of age story in Britain.

This "kid" was 19!
    Where I live that's an adult not a child.

The attitude in America towards Guns, sex and alcohol is just bizarre.
    While Britain's relationship with alcohol is not exactly good either I think we get the balance a bit better.

Over reaction by the "mom" I say.

9. Yohan

21 is the legal drinking age here. She told him not to have alcohol in the car. He did it anyway and got punished.

I agree with you that Britain has the better balance on alcohol (sex too), but not guns.

10. tom pain

For starters he's under the age in America for possessing alcohol (21).

And I think his mum is more concerned with him driving under the influence rather than just the alcohol:

EDIT: I was typing this as Yohan posted his.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I agree with you that Britain has the better balance on alcohol (sex too), but not guns.

Let's not even go there man. Guns? Seriously? Better? Really?
    As far as I'm concerned the country with the best views on alcohol is France.
    Fairly casual. No big deal.
    People in Britain drink alcohol like it's gonna run out some time soon. :rolleyes:

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's not an over reaction when you consider the number of people killed in the US by drunk drivers around his age. If you lived here and happened to mow down your child or you or your wife because he was drinking and driving then you might understand the reaction. What's more is he's probably not even legal to drink in the US (been ages since I was there but it used to be 21...) and an open container in a car at any age is an offense.

13. Yohan

Yes really, but that's a touchy subject that's generated pages and pages of thread. No need for it.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Again it's one of those stories without enough detail for anyone here to really comment properly.
    We have no idea of the background.
    If this is the first time he's been found with alcohol in the car then it seems harsh to me.
    If he's done it before and has been shown to be untrustworthy with access to a car and alcohol then by all means take it all away.
    Like you say better a pee'd off kid without a car than grieving parents without a child.

15. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I agree with the mom, admitted most teenagers try alcohol, but its a bit more serious when driving is involved!!!!!!

16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

assuming this is a first offense, pretty much an over reaction I'd say. I know this is a carzy suggestion, but maybe she should try TALKING to her son about such things?
    Drinking underage? yeh gads! break out the horsewhips! next thing you know he'll be having sex...

17. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

You're right, two nights ago while in Tesco, a 12 year old got cuaght trying to steal alcohol for himself and some friends, the week before that a 14 year old got busted trying to buy it at a self service till.
    Screw being 19, gotta start 'em young the British way!

I think the mom did the right thing and showed some responsible behavior, unlike her son who learnt a lesson.

18. tom pain

...whilst driving a car?

I'm guessing you didn't think about DUI.

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Why would I? Where is there any evidence he did drink and drive?

20. tom pain

It says in the article:

This is obviously to prevent any drink-driving. While there is no evidence he actually drove while under the influence, his mum took precuations in the form of rules - which he broke.