Meal Replacement Protein shakes - are they worth using?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by murphy81, Aug 17, 2007.

1. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

I am looking into trying meal replacement protein shakes, as I cant manage 5-6 meals a day. What are your thoughts on these shakes, and are they worth including in your diet?

I know that they some of them are high in protein and low in carbs which is ideal, as I am looking more to lose bodyfat rather than just to build muscle.

Just interested in peoples thoughts and what they use

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm a big fan of whey taken post workout, and milk protein concentrate taken just before bed. I'd say they're worth including, so long as you use them to supplement an already existing good diet.

3. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

My diet is pretty well balanced at the minute, training 6 days a week with cardio one day weights the next, and so far good results. Do you workout in the morning? I workout before breakfast, so would you recommend including the whey with my breakfast (not sprinkled on cornflakes :rolleyes:) or as a replacement? Dont want to overload myself in the morning, but then dont want to be cut short for the rest of the day.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Personally, I wouldn't overanalyse it too much. In your case you could either have a shake post workout then have a late breakfast an hour or two later, or you could have them the other way around if it's more convenient. Ideally, you should get some sort of protein post workout though.