Me Sparring

Discussion in 'Karate' started by MissKarate, Sep 24, 2010.

1. MissKarate

MissKarate Sankukai Karate

Hello.
    I just uploaded a video on youtube of me sparring (for a part of my grading) I would like to show it to MAP and if anyone has got tips, advice, comments, compliments then I would be grateful for you to post them on here or even youtube if you have an account.

Link: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1JUukr-58"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1JUukr-58[/ame]

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

keep your guard up, particularly when you kick. other than that, WAY better than what I could do when i was 13 :p

long time no see :)

3. Fish Of Doom

double post

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Great googly moogly!

You know, there are obviously technical points that could be made. But if it's part of a grading, I'm guessing you were pretty worn out by this stage. And, far and away, the most striking things (if you'll excuse the pun) about this video are your intensity and the flow of your combinations.

Good on you!

Stuart

5. MissKarate

Thanks Fish of Doom, I've been told many times to keep my guard up it's just getting into the habit of it.
    Thanks also ap Oweyn, I was worn out and especially being in the sun throughout the grading. I did do well in the whole of the grading passing with a 1st class pass.

I do really want to get into competition fighting but I don't where and when something I will look into more. Of course my technique will need improving.

6. pecks

pecks Valued Member

what came through for me was that you showed great spirit against a larger and higher-ranking opponent. good work!

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Holy snot. You're good. I agree with everyone else, only weakness I see is you kept dropping your guard.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Only 13, Wow.

Nice work. You have no worries at this stage, just keep going to class.

Good guard and relax.

Once again. Nice. I will show this to my junior students.

9. MissKarate

Coronavirus thank you so much, with all these comments it inspires me more, I want to get out there and fight and when I see all these people on youtube I think there amazing I doubt I will be as good as them, but this makes me think to say they have been doing this for about 5-6 years, to say I have only been at my karate club 1 year and a quarter I'm proud.

:) :) :) :)

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Awesome - I wish all the young people I saw doing karate did it with such spirit. Nice work.

P.s. I'm guessing the low guard was because it was chudan-only sparring?

11. MissKarate

Thanks Simon S my guard will be improved by my next grading and my guard won't be coming down.
    :)

12. MissKarate

Thanks Pecks, well that is the way to go :L
    Thanks Moosey, I've always been known to have great spirit and aggression.
    :)

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Really I can only echo everyone else at this stage! Jesus! You were pummeling that other guy! Nicely done!

If I had to say something, I'd mention the guard again (sorry!) in that as well as it being a bit low, you flail around a bit when you kick. However, I still do that now, so I can hardly speak!

Also, if you get a chance, try working on side stepping rather than staying on the up/down line all the time. It's easier said than done (I'm only just getting the hang of it!), but it opens up some fantastic opportunities, and it will make countering easier.

But still, holy crap!

I'm officially jealous.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Put it this way - I wouldn't like to spar you! :)

15. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I'm late so forgive the yet more repeating, but as I was watching I thought "ah, she's backing away in a straight line, I do that, gotta change that" but then you went mental on the guy, surprised the hell out of me xD Later in the vid you start circling more which I can't fault. Kicks looked a bit wild, though I say that mostly because you drop your g... nothing *whistles nonchalantly* Great job anyway, I'm useless at sparring, and to do so well against someone that much bigger than you is awesome.

16. MissKarate

Llamageddon Thanks for the advice :) Will keep it in mind.
    Van Zandt Thanks that is definitely a compliment :L
    Hatamoto Thanks also :) Sparring it takes technique.

Something else to add to the forum.
    How would I do in competition fighting?
    That is something I would like to get into.

Thanks all again for the comments.

17. Fish Of Doom

that would depend on the competition itself (the rules and contact level will vary a lot)
    competition kumite is almost always point-stop, and even though there are a lot of pointers for technique to be considered, most simply give a point to the first one to touch the opponent. you'd have to work on your guard :)P), and your speed (but judging by how you owned the brown belt by immediately going for the kill at the start, i'd guess won't have much problem with that).

a "heavier" alternative to the great sissy-ness that is sport karate would probably be a good shotokan competition held by the jka, since the jka is known for serious, hard competition in kumite.

or, if you can take hits as well as you can dish them out, you could also consider knockdown karate, if not now then maybe in a few years, but that's going to be a lot rougher, but much more similar to what you did in the video, plus you seem have the right attitude for it.

personally, if you've never competed before, i think you might do well to check out some local "sporty" competitions to get used to the ruleset, and then move on to more decent stuff later.

18. MissKarate

Where I live, we can't get competitions there aren't enough clubs :|

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Great spirit. It would have been easy to just sit back and defend against a higher graded opponent, but you kept coming forward - that kind of aggression is the kind of thing that is difficult, if not impossible, to teach.
    Great job!

20. MissKarate

holyheadjch Thanks, impressive compliment :)