McGregor gone?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think something else to remember with the promotion stuff is the absolute mess that was Diaz v GSP and how embarrassing that was for Dana White and the UFC. I feel like since that they need to stick to their guns about promotion. There's a lot more to it than that and it is in his contract and etc etc etc etc, but that's something I haven#t seen mentioned anywhere yet is that fighters have messed up promotion badly before and there's a precedent of the UFC's stance being "no one likes doing it, tough."

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Fighters fight, promoters promote.

Either way you feel about that no fighter should be dragged half way around the world for a press conference when they are training for a high profile fight. It's not like they are training to kick a bag of wind around a football pitch for 90 minutes, there is serious risk of personal injury here. Or did people not learn anything over the past few weeks?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Those last couple of posts by Unreal, Smitz and Chadz sum it up for me, nothing else I can really add.

Oh yeah, except...

WAR MCGOAT

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

And if every fighter was required to do the amount of promotion that McGregor does, that would be fine. But they don't. He does ten times the promotion that a headliner in the UFC is normally expected to do.

Also - he has hyped this fight more with that one tweet than he could have in a thousand press conferences.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You let one fighter out of a contract and not do what they don't feel like doing, no one will bother to do the part of their job they don't like.

Promoters need fighters at events to do the promotions. No one cares if the fighters aren't there.

You don't like it, don't sign the contract. I don't respect anyone who doesn't care to honor their commitments- in any walk of life.

Oh, and he does ten times the promotion, but he also already makes a lot more money than most UFC fighters too.

He said he made millions at his last fight. He can darn well show up for a commitment he already agreed to.

6. aaradia

And here is another thing. He had no problem with press conferences when he talked a lot of trash at his opponents. When he was undefeated.

I think part of his reluctance is because he has to face the music. This press work is when he is no longer undefeated, when he can't talk smack at his opponent like he has before because it wouldn't resonate the same way. Because he has to answer questions about said loss..

I am not a Conor hater. I have mixed feeling about him. Some things about him I really like and some I don't. This would fall in the "don't" category.

7. aaradia

Well, just read his statement. There are a few non MAP TOS friendly swear words, so I won't post a link. But if you google it, it is easy enough to find.

He is talking like he is better than everyone else and that he shouldn't have to follow the same rules as other fighters, whom he insults. Look at this part of what he said.

Goes on to blame the media promotions for his loss, which is a cop out IMO.

This also is lame excuse making.......talking about Diaz

I can't stand either Diaz brother, but to act like he won because he didn't have to do press conferences is ridiculous. Diaz had no chance to even train for that fight. McGregor had been in training camp for his original opponent, but had been training.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You can't blame the UFC owners for the fact that their rivals disappeared through bad business models, stupidity or criminality, it's not their fault that through good business practise they managed to survive and thrive, I agree it's not great for fighters but it's not the ufcs fault those guys don't have anywhere else to go apart from bamma and belator lol

As for conor well he created the merry go round he invited everyone else on board (mixing metaphors I know) he can't jump off the first time it doesn't work for him. His antics got him money, fame and a title shot when all he was beating were barely top 10 guys, the UFC looked after him and he made them both allot of money, what on earth made him think they would let him stop that??

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

They can be blamed for not evolving their model as they've become more established.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty sure it's also against ToS to triple post :p

11. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

Come on now don't be a dum dum.........this is an old pro wrestling angle.............Stone Cold and Vince McMahon has now become.......Conor McGregor and Uncle Dana:rolleyes:..........This whole thing is a pre planned work!!!

EVERYONE WAKE UP!!!

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Maybe but a model which has a national TV deal with fox, PPV figues pulling in millions, not to mention ree bok in their corner isnt one thats too shabby

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  13. aaradia

Care to address any of the separate relevant points/ opinions I made to the topic? :rolleyes:

(As I was reading up on the topic on various MMA sites and different thoughts came to me that were relevant to the topic, I shared them on here. Thoughts didn't all come at once.)

14. DARKREALITY

DARKREALITY Valued Member

Conor and Co Promotion

Excuse me........but can anyone tell me if their has ever been a UFC fighter that Co Promoted his fights???

15. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

No.

P.S. That's "No they haven't" rather than "No I won't tell you"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Because Obama.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

"He worked so much harder than his coworkers before, so it's only reasonable to demand he work so much harder again"
    He wasn't undefeated before.

It always makes me a little sad when people side with management over the workers.

18. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Have you personally reviewed McGregor’s contract?

Just wondering.

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

At least we all know that Dana is the forgive and forget type

[​IMG]

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I quite like this from Shayna Baszler