McGregor gone?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No other promotion can have while he's contracted to the UFC.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Let's not forget he lost to that fighter on 10 days notice. He lost to a guy who had not had a training camp at all and who hasn't been very active lately!

That rematch was a lame pick to headline UFC 200 anyways IMO. I hope they pick a better headliner. Aldo vs Edgar promoted to headline with the actual belt on the line.

Mcgreggor was getting too full of himself. He was showing up later and later for press conferences. Now - it seems he thought he didn't have to show up for media events promoting the fights at all. Dana White said differently. He also didn't want to honor his contract and get more money. People- don't sign contracts if you don't like them! Otherwise, honor what you signed!

White and the UFC catered to him too much in the past and put themselves in a position where they had to put their foot down at some point. When he lost to Diaz, I bet the UFC top brass was relieved because they got some leverage back. This whole 2 fights in a row out of his weight class was ridiculous. I could see one fight, but two? Holding up a stacked division like that was not ok and I hope they learned their lesson. Allowing that was a bad call!

The UFC has stayed viable while other MMA promotions organizations have failed for a reason. You can't have the fighters calling all the shots or thinking they are bigger than the organization.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Problem is without McGregor you've got a division full of guys who seem pathologically unable to beat Aldo. This totally trashes the division.
    I think a Diaz rematch was the wrong move for everyone and Conor should have fought Edgar.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

5. aaradia

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I listened to the annoying, but knowledgeable Steve Bunce this morning and he said that officially Connor has won 2 million in prize money.

If he'd been a boxer he would be a name like Tyson or Mayweather and would have earned 50 million by now.

Bunce said Connor could fill a stadium on his own and would given a fight in Ireland one of the TV companies would pay him millions.

If it's a stand off then Connor may be right to make a stand.

Bunce thought Dana was earning 20 million a year.

Too much control. Maybe.

7. aaradia

8. Ben Gash CLF

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I don't like dana but fighters owe him and the UFC allot, if it wasn't for the money he and the brothers forked out when mma was a loss maker and if they hadn't come up with the ultimate fighter mma in the West would probably still be an amateur sport with everyone working a full time job to make ends meet.

They have too much control but they have earned it to a degree

10. Ben Gash CLF

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"
    The UFC brass can't eat out on that forever. Yes they were the saviours of the UFC, but often in the past few years they've acted as an exploitative monopoly.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thankfully, we can still rely on Bellator putting on shows like Kimbo Slice vs Dada 5000.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Time for MMA at the organisational level to grow up and stop trying to be wwe wrestling.

13. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

He can take his sparkly suit and leave. He is a good fighter, but above that he is a showman. I actually believe this is nothing more than a show. He wins either way. People who don't follow mma were talking about it today.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

His full statement

15. aaradia

Well, if that is what he said, I have no sympathy..............

It is part of the contract to do those promotions. If they let him out of it, no fighter will work on promoting their fight. So, he IS paid to promote.

It is part of their job. Everyone has a part of their job that isn't their favorite part. You just have to deal with it.

And, he is the one who said he was retiring early.................

16. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Good to know the reasoning.

As a major sports celeb it's part of the job, but he does have my empathy to an extent. It must be a ridiculous balancing act trying to reach peek physical and mental fighting ability whilst being so obligated. But thats the life!

Sounds like he's realised that he had made himself more hype than substance and wants to get back to the grind and love of the labour.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have sympathy. He's done more promotion and more for the UFC than almost the rest of the roster combined.
    He's pretty much created the buzz for this fight already.
    Wheeling him out over and over again won't get more viewers and will effect his chances of winning the fight.
    He's willing to do some promotion...just not the endless media circus he's now expected to do.
    Seems fair to me.

18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I hope an agreement is reached and we see a humble more focused and effective version of both fighters.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I view it like this...

Let's say you do a job where everyone has to clean the toilet.
    You're fine with that and include that in your work schedule.
    You do a really good job of cleaning the toilet and get rewarded for it. You even get more rewarded than the other workers.
    But eventually you realise you aren't actually being properly rewarded for how much a clean toilet helps the business, no one else is doing as good a job of cleaning the toilet as you are AND cleaning the toilet is now actually interfering with the main duties of your actual job. To the point where you are no longer doing the main bulk of your job well enough to keep that job secure.
    So you ask to be excused some toilet cleaning duties while you get back to doing your job really well. You say you will clean the toilet occasionally and keep on top of things but your previous level of toilet cleaning is not sustainable.
    And the boss says "NO...you clean that damn toilet as often as we tell you".

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I like Conor McGregor. I also respect this post massively. You can tell for one thing he wrote it himself.

It also fuels anticipation for this fight to a ridiculous level. With two posts he's created more hype than weeks and weeks of promo. It also in my eyes, legitimizes MMA for me. People will see that grinding is necessary and the biggest part of the sport. They look over that a lot with MMA. In boxing and wrestling it's obvious but you rarely see it in MMA.

Someone said this is probably just "scripted" for hype. eal or not, the hype will explode now until fight day.