Maywether confirms Canelo fight on Sept. 14th

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, May 30, 2013.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I have Floyd winning this by UD all the way. While this fight will generate a HUGE amount of money, it's just as equally sad how one-sided the fight will be. Canelo surprised the hell out of me with his new technical skills and how quickly he elevated his skill while in the ring during his last fight with Trout (especially as I had predicted the fight slightly in the favor of Trout winning by UD), so his learning curve is definitely impressive. I just don't want to see his confidence get shot after he convincingly loses to Floyd and he stops growing as he has been.

Of course, I'm the guy that'll always pay to see Floyd lose (even though I do respect his new found personality), but he has done enough verbal damage in the past that I still want to see him beat.

It's too bad the fight is going down to 152 though. I do dislike how Floyd has practically monopolized the whole professional boxing scene. He calls all the shots.

2. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Yes well, Canelo does not have brittle hands and he always puts all of his power into his punches. He's also much faster than people give him credit for.

And with Oscar, you mean De La Hoya? I do believe it is in fact preposterous to say that he had more power than Canelo. Oscar was a combination puncher, not a power puncher. Canelo is an actual power puncher, one we don't see very often in the highest level of boxing. They usually fall just a bit short when it comes to skill and technique.

Mosley had some power yes, but his knockout ability came from his speed. And he's never been knocked out and rarely got knocked down. That guy had a chin equivalent to a piece of iron. Mayweather sucker punched Mosley too, but it did nothing. I don't recall Mayweather almost stopping Mosley, I remember seeing Mosley completely drained and unwilling to be in the fight in the later rounds with Mayweather.

Btw, I don't see Canelo as a knockout artist just because he has power. The way I see it Canelo is a power puncher without being a knockout artist. He rips off the flesh without cutting off their consciousness. If that makes any sense.

Probably not. :D

3. puma

puma Valued Member

I see Mayweather has been getting criticism in some parts over the catch-weight thing. He says it wasn't his suggestion. I think this might be true. On Alvarez part, if he won people would have said it was because he was so big. This way he can point to losing the extra pounds. Also, if he loses, he can now use the "weight drained" excuse. Maybe he has covered himself?

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Oscar has flattened many guys with his left hook. It was his most dangerous punch. Canelo does not have concussive power. If he did then Matthew Hatton would have been finished instead of the fight going the distance.

You will have to rewatch Floyd vs. Mosley, Floyd had the man HURT and even Richardson told him he was going to stop the fight.

Canelo, save for Trout really doesn't have that great of a resume. Can he win? Sure, anything can happen in boxing, but as long as Floyd is sharp (and it won't be nearly as long of a lay off) he will box Canelo to a UD or corner/ref stoppage.

5. Saved_in_Blood

I felt the fight with Trout was very close. I don't think Canelo won a convincing decision. Now it was a robbery, but I do think you could have had Trout up on the cards if nothing else based on Canelo's lack of stamina through several of the rounds.

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

IIRC Richardson told Mosley's side he was gonna stop the fight, because Mosley was continuously getting hit cleanly in the face. Not because Mosley was groggy or anything like that.

And Alvarez isn't good at hitting people with his best shots at the right angles with the right timing. That's why I say that Alvarez is not a knockout artist. I'm not a fan of Oscar so I don't know everything about him, but from watching his videos I can certainly tell he doesn't have the same type of leverage behind his punches like Canelo. I also haven't seen Oscar knock people down with his jab.

I think for someone who's only 23 years old, his resume is already starting to turn into something scary. Would've been even better if Ortiz(dumbass) didn't break his jaw against a noob.

7. Saved_in_Blood

Canelo's resume consists of tomato cans, old shot fighters and many of them who have had to come up from 140 or 147. He fought Lopez ... I mean really? The kid is rail skinny and while he has a ton of heart... did anyone think that he had a chance. Canelo is 44-0 speaks more of his lack of opposition then his talent. He has a chance against Floyd because Floyd is 36 years old, but I think he's going to get a boxing lesson he won't soon forget.

8. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

You can say what you want, but Canelo beat Trout who came off a win against Cotto. It pretty much proved Canelo was for real and even though the fight was very close, Canelo definitely won the fight.

Mayweather's record was pretty similar when he was Canelo's age. And I doubt you'd say the same thing about Mayweather having a lack of opposition because he's unbeaten, so your reasoning is flawed.

Anyway, I firmly believe Canelo has the biggest chance to defeat Mayweather anyone has ever had. The timing is right and an upset might just happen. In all likelihood though, I see Mayweather winning on points while he evades Canelo the entire fight. Mayweather won't have time to give Canelo a boxing lesson though, he'll be too busy not to get his head ripped off.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

You left out the part at the end where Mayweather claims that narrowly winning this fight against an up-and-comer proves that he is the greatest boxer of all time.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know man. After recent circumstances in my own life revolving around boxing, I see no shame in being a defensive fighter and winning off of points. I think Mayweather says "it's not cool to take damage" quite a bit and as I'm laying in bed right now unable to do anything physical, I tend to agree with him.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I didn't say that Canelo didn't win the fight. I said many felt Trout did win the fight. Not my words... theirs. Do you really want to compare Canelo's record at 44-0 to Floyd's opposition at 45-0 now? Remember that Canelo couldn't put Matthew Hatton away (who came up from 147), he beat up a 140 lb Lopez... etc. His opposition save for Trout isn't that great. Do I think he has talent? Yeah sure I do. Skill for skill however Canelo is completely outmatched. If Canelo manages to pull off the upset, it will be because of his size and Floyd's age. At completely equal fight night weights (especially a lighter one) Floyd picks Canelo completely apart.

12. Saved_in_Blood

13. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I mentioned Canelo's win over Trout to illustrate that despite the fact Canelo may not have an impressive record, his win over Trout makes his record less relevant. Canelo is an up and comer, it's quite unfair to be criticizing his record already. Don't let the media or fanboys fool you, Canelo IS an up and comer. You can see that from his growth every fight. Each time he steps into the ring, he does something new or different.

And with regards to your reoccurring argument about Canelo not putting away M. Hatton, Mike Tyson did not put away every one of his opponents either and those opponents weren't anything great either. So would you now say that Tyson did not have power after all? Because that's what your reasoning would imply.

Anyway you're of the opinion that Canelo does not have much power, so with that perspective it comes down to skill and experience in which case Mayweather will obviously win. I don't share that opinion though, not in the least. I believe Canelo has exceptional power, so with that perspective it comes down to Canelo's ability to hit Floyd and not run out of stamina before it means something. In his fight with Trout, I believe there are 3 things that contributed to Canelo running of out energy. Aside from going from 154 to 171 in a single night.

1. Canelo was throwing a lot of wild haymakers that didn't do anything.
    2. Trout kept Canelo busy the entire fight, not letting him rest for a second.
    3. Trout connected a lot of body blows.

Floyd does not fight at the same pace Trout does and he is mostly a headhunter. So if Canelo can refrain from throwing wild haymakers, I believe he won't run out of energy like he did against Trout. However, I believe the best tactic he can use against Floyd is to run him down and make the fight ugly, but that would drain him quickly as well. Cotto did this and made the fight quite difficult for Floyd. So if Canelo can be picky about his shots, continuously put Floyd in the corners, preferably going for hard bodyshots without resorting to wild haymakers, he stands a very good chance. I wouldn't even rule out a knockdown.

If Canelo goes for a tactic like this, it will depend how easily Floyd can prevent himself from being cornered.

What I hope for the most though, is that Floyd won't use his legs to avoid Canelo, but his upper body like he does in a lot of fights. Canelo probably stands the biggest chance in such a situation.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  14. Saved_in_Blood

I understand what you are saying and I have watched 5-7 of his fights. I've seen him use different things so I get that. The thing is, it's easier to look good when you aren't fighting very good opposition. Trout is really the one exception.

However, I don't know how you would consider anyone with 44 fights an up and comer. He's been at it long enough that I don't consider him that in the least. A work in progress? Maybe that.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

I was surprised by that photo for two reasons. One, there didn't look a lot of difference between them. Two, I was surprised how fit Alvarez looked. I thought being this far away from the fight he would be a lot bigger. He doesn't look like someone that can enter the ring as heavy as he does.

I've heard people say before about getting Mayweather in the corners. I don't get this. He seems to like it there! I've never seen a fighter so comfortable in the corners. I think sometimes he goes there on purpose to show off his defence. A lot of the time you see fighters just back off him after getting him there as they don't know what to do with him. It's like trying to catch an eel. Everyone always says they are going to pressure him, make him fight, rough him up - everyone gets beaten.

16. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Cotto did actually manage to rough Mayweather up. Though Cotto's jab played the biggest part in that, not so much his "rough up" tactics.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, Cotto did very well... I feel Cotto is multi talented though, moreso than Canelo. Canelo may beat Cotto, but Cotto IMO has more raw talent.

Also, it came out later that Floyd supposedly had the flu or a pretty severe cold. He also wanted to try to please the fans a bit more which is stupid. Pure boxing fans appreciate pure boxing skill IMO. If people find it boring, they really don't know what they were looking at it.

EDIT: I don't know why the thumbs down was on this lol.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Oh I agree. I never understand when people say Mayweather is boring. How can a true boxing fan call the best pure boxer in the game boring? Also, I don't get it when he is labelled "denfensive." Yeah, he has the best defence out there, but he also always punches the other guy a hell of a lot more often than they hit him! His connection rate is ridiculous. Just because he doesn't throw thousands of punches where 3/4's missed doesn't mean his offense is bad. Quite the opposite. Look at the other dude after a Mayweather fight. They are always damaged.

Cotto is a great fighter! One of my favourites! He did well against Mayweather, sure. However, it wasn't a close fight. I had it 10 rds to 2. I think the fact Mayweather had a nose bleed for the 1st time in ages, and the fact we certainly aren't used to seeing that, made it look harder to some than it actually was. I always felt Mayweather could go up several gears if need be, and he did show this in rd 12. If Mayweather wasn't 100% due to illness, then Cotto certainly seemed 100%. So you could say the worst Mayweather comfortably beat the best possible Cotto. If anyone was roughed up it was Cotto. As mentioned before, Floyd stood toe-to-toe with him that night.

19. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Sounds and probably is, an excuse. Floyd is like that, despite his great boxing skills. Though I must say that I've never seen Floyd get hit by a jab so much in all of his fights, so I guess he could possibly have been ill at the time of the fight. The other excuse about trying to please the fans more, really sounds like a load of crap.

I didn't feel like the fight was one sided. Yes I had Floyd winning pretty much every round, but Cotto was making the fight very difficult for Floyd. Like I said, I've never seen Floyd get hit by so many jabs and because it's Cotto's dominant arm, they were pretty damaging as well.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't think Mayweather mentioned being ill himself, so I don't think he is particularly "like that." When I 1st read reports of that fight before I actually got to see it, people said it was a great performance. Then they said he struggled, and it gradually got worse and worse! I still see it as a good performance against a very good Cotto, regardless. And I don't think it has any bearing on Alvarez. Cotto is better on his feet.