Mayweather v Maidana

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Boardeaux, Apr 29, 2014.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

After the fight I heard that there was even people saying Floyd lost! I didn't see it at the time, so I thought, "I've got to see what happened here!". Here is what went through my head after seeing it, not that I'm going to say anything particularly interesting:

Why was the ref so harsh on Maidana? He could have let him attack Floyd with his ring stool at the end of the round at the very least!

Joking aside, was it a close fight? I don't think so. Maidana was so blatant it was ridiculous. That over-hand right looked like he was trying to bowl a cricket ball! I don't think you can expect a decision in your favour after nutting, elbowing, attempt at kneeing, rugby tackling, hammering the back of the head, etc. At least we now know Floyd could handle an MMA fighter!

What did this fight show us? That Floyd is still the best. Easily. How mentally strong must the guy be to deal with all the nonsense outside the ring, abortions and whatever, then to have to deal with that in the ring against a guy that, lets face it, Floyd must have thought was easy work. How would Khan have coped with Maidana on this night? How would Pacquiao? I don't know, but I can guess that, other than his cut, their faces would have been in more of a mess than Floyd's. Pacquiao looks a mess even when he's had a fairly comfortable fight!

This fight was a Welterweight v a Supermiddle come fight time. That is ridiculous. Maidana doesn't normally put that much on does he? Considering the guy in his corner, I am surprised this has been over-looked. Especially after Maidana's last fight where it looked a bit suspicious. Have the drug tests returned yet out of interest? Is Floyd going to fight Andre Ward next? Ward probably weighs the same as Maidana!

Although criticising Maidana, I think he did what he had to. What was he meant to do? Try and outbox the master? Yeah, it was cheating, but he gave it a real go, didn't give up, and I actually think this performance showed Floyd in a good light. No one expected this, and all in all I think against such over the top tactics, I think Floyd showed his knowledge and skills to deal with that without having to stoop to Maidana's level, or running away. Both guys put on a fight. Credit where it is due.

All in all, I was entertained, and I found it very interesting.

Here is a thought: Mayweather wants to fight in September, Khan November. Why doesn't Khan do a better job on Maidana than Floyd did, and then we might be mildly interested in a Mayweather-Khan fight in May next year. I think Khan should now give Maidana the rematch that he has ducked for too long, personally.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Because khan had a kind ref that didn't stop their fight in the 10th when he was getting ping ponged around the ring the entire round and that was when Maidana was much more crude... khan fights Maidana now, and he will be knocked out. You won't see that fight I can all but guarantee you that.

3. puma

puma Valued Member

No, I guess we won't. It would be fun though! I wonder if Broner will ever fight Maidana again?

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

[​IMG]

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Ah man! That's hilarious!

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I've some gems but finding ones that don't send Frodo a-tearin after me; well, that takes some doing. ;)