Mayweather the Woman Beater

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 22, 2011.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Does anyone know what really happened with Mayweather? The general impression seems to be he has been slapping her about, but is she really completely innocent in all this? I can't understand why he would do this for no reason.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

We won't find out for a while I don't think, story about a pro beating his wife is too good to give another side to it. Says he took her phone as well though so I'd throw suspected cheating in there. Course that's purely speculation on my part.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I have no doubt that smacking women around is the culture that Mayweather comes from. I'm sure this will draw fire from all corners but bring it. His uncle also got done for the same thing recently... his dad is bat-poop crazy and the way Mayweather Jr. plays the whole look-at-cheddar-I'm-a-PIMP thing... pffft.... is it any surprise?

I'd be willing to bet this is a dynamic in his family. In fact if you read up on his family... it's all over the shop. So yeah he comes from a culture where the bitch slap isn't some sort of rare thing.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Force when applied against an individual is either legal or not - the ses or gender of an individual is irrelevant

Now, with regards to the "impact factors" (things like +1 or -5 in D&D) a woman generally i seen as requiring a lesser use of force because they are generally smaller. It is the same for children.

With every rule there are exceptions, and I know some 15 year olds that are built like linebackers (or prop forwards if you are into Rugger) and some women that can kick serious rear end.

Would I hit a woman? Yep, in the same way that I would hit a man - When necessary. Have I? yep
    Does it bother me? No more so than the men I have hit

When you are attacking you are a threat and the threat WILL be ended. My use of force will be commensurate with ending said threat

The notion of "Don't hit a woman" has no basis in logic or morals and Southpaw in my opinion hit the nail on the head early on. Accepting that it is arbitrary distinction does not mean violence against women is advocated - that is faulty logic...well actually it is obtuse.

Unprovoked and random violence, domestic violence and assaults are all wrong - the gender of the victim does not alter that

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is how I feel, right down to the punctuation matters.

However, Mayweather was not in this situation and is not justified in his actions.

6. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'm with you, but the fact that he assaulted ANYONE is what would have lost him my fandom if I'd even been interested in him, which I never was. Not the fact that the person he attacked was a woman.

A professional fighter who lashes out at anyone just because he or she is annoyed is not someone I want walking around in society with the rest of us. I couldn't give a poo what gender they are.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah I got a bit carried away with my point and forgot the actual story was just an assualt. But then the title says "woman beater" so the fact it was a woman he hit was obviously meant to make it worse so I kind of stayed on topic :p

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

color me a defense lawyer

My question exactly. He tends to come across as a complete jerk in interviews, but even a jerk can be innocent sometimes. Maybe the woman started it? Maybe she was going all psycho berserker bea-atch on him? And he ended it swiftly without permanent damage? (We can imagine what a pro boxer could have done to an untrained person in 30 seconds, even 20 seconds, even 10 seconds, right? And as far as I know that didn't happen.) And then, maybe, he's being, quote, "a man," unquote, by not sending the cops on her but instead letting everything fall on him?

You need two people in a fight. I do not like Mayweather as a person because he so often looks like a jerk on television, but I'm not going to hold this one against him without knowing what the 2nd person was doing.

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Good point. Best to report simply that he assaulted someone.

I find it fairly insulting the idea that if a guy punches another guy in the face, he's a common or garden A hole, but if he lays a hand on me, OH NOEEZ THE EVILS he broke the little porcelain doll.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I don't think he will lose many fans as most people think he is a prat anyway. A talented prat, but a prat nonetheless

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If there was a legitimate defence, wouldn't his expensive lawyers have tried to use it?

12. aikiMac

"She hit me too" is not necessarily a defense. That's why.

13. holyheadjch

But it is a mitigating factor that, if true, could have kept him out of jail.

Bear in mind, this was a plea deal. There was a load of other stuff he was accused of that got washed away.

14. aikiMac

No, "he/she hit me too!" is not a get-out-of-jail card.
    And yes, there was certainly loads of other stuff behind the plea bargain that we'll never know about. That's my whole point -- we don't know the whole story. We only know a piece of the story.

15. holyheadjch

We know enough, based on what has been released.

A boxer punches his wife (ex?) in the head in front of his children and threatens to have her boyfriend killed.

He's a scumbag. End of.

16. aikiMac

I'll drink to that. ;)
    Another boxing scumbag: Antonio Margarito, for putting plaster of paris in his gloves. :yeleyes: Two boxers I have no respect for as people.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Jeebus people... whoa whoa whoa... slow it down a bit. If we're not careful it will be a who's who of boxing listed here under the scumbag column. :p

With the type of green that Money Mayweather has you'd have to be out of your mind to waste time on beatin' down baby-mamma's. You can take the person out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the person.

What a total fool.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Here in the US we've got a murderer in the National Football League who makes the all-pro team every year. Wife beating is nothing...

19. aikiMac

20. puma

puma Valued Member

You have to wonder what effect going inside will have on him.

Where does it say he punched her? I can't find that anywhere. He obviously didn't hit her like he did Ortiz!

Everyone is going in to the right and wrongs of hit a woman, but nobody has actually said what he has done. I'm not sticking up for him - but let's not forget he is one loaded famous dude. She will get something out of this. I guess what I am saying is, I still would like to know her role in all of this. He isn't exactly hard to wind up is he? Ask Larry Merchant!