Mayweather the Woman Beater

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Oh, so it's logic we're using now?

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Duh, Hobviously. Not answering the rest of the post i see.

3. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

The notion of equality was raised. The idea that women are not weaker than men, and so should be treated accordingly. I did say pseudo-scientific, and perhaps this was the wrong term.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I can guess that you've never worked on a door or where you might risk such a confrontation. Women can easily be just as dangerous as men. Sometimes more because so many men underestimate them. It it's code red - then whatever works or a man works for a woman. Not exactly the time to be splitting hairs.

5. SpikeD

Women are weaker than men as a rule. Even if they are what difference does that make? Are they incapable of causing serious pain and physical damage because genetically they are likely to have a bit less muscle than a man?

And yes it was the wrong term.

6. slipthejab

Umm... no it doesn't.:rolleyes:

7. SpikeD

Excellent wording. I think i have a new sig. :cool:

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I am with you on that, I just wanted to point out how that sort of thinking gets twisted in the media a lot.

9. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

I have worked a door, for a short while when I was younger. And latterly I have worked extensively with emotionally troubled young women. I still have a couple of mates who work doors and have an acquaintance who uses restraint against mentally ill women as part of his job. So I'm aware how vicious women can be and I've seen the scars to prove it.

But to generalise these specific cases into 'it's okay to hit women, they're just like men' is an unhealthy leap, in my opinion.

10. SpikeD

Don't get me started on the media. :bang::bang::bang:

As a universal rule, men are wrong always unless a woman says otherwise (a quote from my wife :cool:)

11. slipthejab

gah... typo and all... (add the the f) :p

12. slipthejab

ok fair enough... that clarification makes a lot of sense.

13. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

True...it was actually just one or two posters. My apologies for the hyperbole.

14. SpikeD

No one has said that, you are paraphrasing to your own ends. What is said is that there is no difference between the two when it comes to physical violence. Also that it is not a crime of humanity because a man hits a woman, especially if it is deserved or nescessary. You claim to have experience in dealing with violent women and then make stupid statements about it not being acceptable.

15. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Very few of the girls I worked with turned violent in my company. On the very few occasions they did, there was a female present with the responsibility of dealing with it. One of your 200-pound types that I personally wouldn't have wanted to tangle with.

And I still maintain there is a difference. If, in a hypothetical self-defence situation I beat a man down, then all things being equal I am not a villain. If I overpower and beat down a woman, onlookers (and potentially a jury) are inclined to take a dimmer view of my actions. This is a sentiment expressed by bouncers and at least one LEO I have known.

16. SpikeD

Hence my comment on social conditioning. What if the man you beat up is smaller and weaker than you but the woman is bigger, stronger and well trained? Is the concesus the same? The discussion is about the actual differences in a conflict being seperate from the gender difference purported by modern thinking and media influence.

17. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

feral

Mayweather is just feral and so disrespectful. Man or woman once you are a fighter you can not go around abusing people, gender had nothing to do with it.

18. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

If I am in a situation where I am defending myself against big, strong, well-trained women I have either failed in basic self-protection or I have woken up on Themyscira with the Amazons. Only one of those is a good outcome.

And a smaller man wouldn't merit any special treatment. But one who was obviously smaller and weaker? Unless he had an equaliser, like a knife or bottle, I wouldn't go all out.

To my mind the fact remains that media and social influence aside, the majority of women I could face in a hypothetical situation may well be mouthy and aggressive (there's your social and media influence again) but they are unlikely to be my physical match in a square-go. So again, short of a knife being involved, kid gloves would apply.

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I can't open the file on my pc so does anyone have a copy of Geoff Thompson's Art of Fighting? Remember him having an interesting bit about women and violence in the intro

20. SpikeD

Ok, Hypothetically it is possible for you to be in a situation with a weaker man where by you are on the back foot and using kid gloves isn't working (weaker doesn't mean they can't be persistent); equally a situation whereby you are defending against a strong well trained woman. Hypothetically of course, obviously this could never really happen. :rolleyes: