Mayweather/Maidana II

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Sep 15, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

For those who saw this fight - whaddya think? Was it worth seeing? How'd it compare to the first?

Who do you think Floyd should fight next? Who do you think he will fight?

[​IMG]

I for one think Maidana has missed his true calling. In the first fight he demonstrated an almost undeniable urge to throw Muay Thai knees in the clinch. This time 'round he featured elbows that would have made Karuhat Sor Supawan proud. <--- being young-in-the-cheek here, now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Was it worth watching? Hmmm, well I enjoyed seeing some of the skill that Floyd displayed. Maidana went to the wrong corner multiple times and and Floyd actually had to show him which corner to go to at one point lol. Maidana looked very nervous to me before he even walked out.

I saw the fight like this...
    1. Maidana would have done better to stay as close as possible to Floyd, but he couldn't.
    2. I find it funny how all of the experts (Freddie Roach being one) saying Floyd's legs are shot when he used them very well to evade Maidana's attempts to get close.
    3. Maidana still tired out to early in the fight.
    4. Maidana got stung with a few straight right hands and realized that Floyd's punches hurt a little more than he had been claiming because Marcos didn't engage nearly as often as he should and could have.
    5. Floyd correctly called it that he took punches that he shouldn't have and that he was disappointed in himself for that and gave his performance a C or C-.
    6. Save for age catching up to him, a lucky punch, or going to high in weight (160), no one will be able to beat him.

Floyd has 2 more fights left on his showtime contract. Will he go for 50-0 or be happy with matching the 49-0?

Maidana still has done better than most vs. Floyd have done and IMO this will get him several other big fights and help him to make plenty of extra money for his family so i'm happy for him.

The undercards were pretty lackluster... was expecting better fights and maybe some more known fighters.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Floyd was magic as always (albeit it's possible to see time catching up with him a bit now, as it does all men). Pacquiao won't happen. Khan next May, possibly. I think (hope) Floyd's personality will push him to 50-0. He can do it.

4. Saved_in_Blood

I'm fairly sure that one of those shots broke his nose, and because he is OCD about his training, defense, boxing in general... I could see why he would have been disappointed. However, the speed is still plentiful, and as many times as he has used that right hand lead in fights, I have seen no one who even got close to countering it (though Robert Guerrero did make attempts). I can see him making it to 50-0 too. If he managed to throw in 1 more fight next year after having 2 a year for the last 2 years, that could make him a bit sharper and he wouldn't have to worry about getting 1 more year older.

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Although Floyd won easily in my book, he didn't impress quite as much as usual. He was still excellent, don't get me wrong, but it just felt like he wasn't quite "up" for it. It felt to me almost like he just wanted to get this one out of the way, which I can understand. I have to say, I didn't like him not even trying in the last round. And I'm a huge fan.

I would be very interested in how Khan would deal with Maidana. I notice he said Floyd was slow. Maybe Khan should do a better job on Maidana next, then he will prove he belongs in the ring with Mayweather next September.

I don't really get the 49-0 or 50-0 thing. Chavez went about 80-odd fights before losing one didn't he? It would be terrible if Floyd lost chasing that 50 mark, just for numbers sake. People criticise him already. Imagine if he did prove human and slip up at the end what all the haters and Pacquiao fans would say.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Chavez was way ahead of the 49-0, but he kept going and eventually lost, so his record of retiring with that number was lost also. It doesn't make a lot of sense though.

As far as Khan? What has the guy even done to deserve a shot at Floyd? Get knocked out twice? Khan runs his mouth way to much when he himself only has an offense, he just throws a lot of punches and it always BEGGING to be countered, he moves straight back many times and is pretty much always wide open for Floyd's "check hook". Also... Floyd looked slow to Khan? Come on man, he'd get hit with more shots than Maidana did.. I can pretty much guarantee that.

The issue is that Floyd is running out of guys to fight that are under Golden Boy... Khan is one of only a few options at 147 at least. I'd rather see a Cotto rematch at 154 than see khan fight. Thurman, Brook, Porter would all KO khan.

At this point Showtime wants to see numbers and I think they care less about the choice of opposition.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Keith Thurman is probably one of professional boxing's most underrated fighters. Used to say that regarding GGG but he's getting more notoriety now but has yet to be really put to the test.

I'd second you on the Cotto rematch - but that's not gonna... I'm wagering it will probably be Amir.

Might have a surprise in it :dunno: Floyd hasn't had a KO in ...

About due for one.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, every time Khan opens his mouth he reminds me how much he doesn't deserve the fight. He has done nothing. At least try and revenge one of your defeats, or rematch Maidana. But he has done nothing. He surprised me against Collazo, but then Collazo surprised me by how bad he was. Disrespecting the world's no 1 fighter when you go over as easily as Khan does isn't doing him any favours. He should fight Maidana, and if his head is still connected to his body he should fight Brook, when Brook is fully fit, which we don't know how he will recover yet. Or fight Garcia again. Or all 3.

9. Saved_in_Blood

Garcia is an easy fight for most... aside from his very overmatched last opponent, he lost his previous 2 fights. Garcia needs to rematch Herrera before anyone else IMO, that decision should have come with a wrapped box with the judges real scorecards in it.

I second your opinion on the Collazo fight. Luis looked like he was there for simply a payday and that was it. He knew that getting a decision would be basically impossible and it was clear the ref was only going to help Khan. Collazo looked bored and even bored still landed some shots that one of them I believe even rocked Khan a little. He should rematch Maidana, but he won't. At least now with Maidana doing decently against Floyd it would be a pretty good payday for both... think Khan gets flattened if he rematches him though.

10. puma

puma Valued Member

There seems to be trouble in the Mayweather camp, so I hear. Could be big changes. I also heard him in an interview before the fight, when asked if he ever gets tired of the training, he said, "Yeah, sometimes." Even if it must be true, it isn't like him to admit it. I've heard a lot about Mayweather not being himself of late. Anyone know anything?

11. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

All I heard is that his cutman resigned because he felt left out and that Mayweather hired Ariza as his conditioning coach. The same Ariza, that has been accused by many, incuding SiB, for giving Pacman special cocktails...

12. Saved_in_Blood

I have no doubts that Ariza is dirty I don't care who he's worked with in the past or now. I am suspicious of anyone he would work with, Floyd included.

Rafael Garcia is his cutman, though I was not aware that he quit. I have a hard time feeling Ariza would fit in when it comes to Floyd's camp, as Floyd likes to run his own show... his father is also very vocal and Ariza has had issues understanding his place with most of the camps he's worked with.

13. puma

puma Valued Member

I hear Leonard Ellerbe maybe on the way out, with possibly Schaefer coming in.

This Ariza stuff doesn't make sense. Mayweather is the hardest trainer out there, and the fittest boxer, possibly ever. Why does he need that idiot's advice? He will try and get Floyd to cut out the fried chicken and hamburgers, and we know that won't happen! And why link yourself, especially at this stage of his career, to someone with such a tarnished reputation? It's very odd indeed. Floyd's training obviously works...why change now?

14. Saved_in_Blood

Yeah, I feel the same way about it. I think that it's a sign that he and Manny may fight. I think Ariza is there for information. He's there to get into Roach and Manny's head should the fight come off.

Honestly, I wonder if Manny will even get passed Algeri tbh. He's a tall guy, long reach, quick hands and a quick jab... all of the things that would give a shorter guy with a shorter reach like Manny a very hard time.

15. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

You are not the only one who think that SiB..
    You may have seen Mayweather's provocative and taunting tweet about Pacquiao's loss.
    Mayweather isn't well known for his good manners but getting that offensive might have more to it.
    He also spoke about a big surprise in May..

As for the Algieri fight, indeed Pacman's disadvantage is really big.
    He's gonna be tested in this fight.
    Props to him for taking it. I hope he wins by a landslide and proves that he still has it.
    Well, he kind of proved it by beating Bradley, a very good boxer, but fighters can grow old in a day at this age.

16. Saved_in_Blood

I would have liked to have seen him fight Bradley when he didn't injure himself. He tore his calf early in the second fight... twisted both ankles in the first. Luckily for Manny Bradley doesn't have more power because that one shot Manny took made both of Manny's feet come off the floor.

All bias aside however, I give Manny a 20% chance of beating Floyd He doesn't show the same power as before and Floyd has to much ring smarts for him.

17. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Pacquiao is going to walk his next fight. I fully expect him to be way too much for Algieri, and I think as usual with Pacquiao it will be blown all out of proportion, and he will be hailed as the best boxer the universe has ever known again. Then we will get the "Mayweather's running scared" crap again, blah, blah. I do think actually that the Pac-Floyd fight would be closer than it would have been in the past, but I still give Pacquiao no chance. He might edge 2 rounds, where Floyd has a look at him. Mind you, if a boxer wins 2 out of 12 rounds against Floyd, everyone insists that he has beaten Mayweather!

18. Saved_in_Blood

I still don't think Algeri will be nearly as easy as some think. Most don't have this fight being a blow out. Algeri is a tough kid and can take a shot... shots that Manny doesn't have anymore. Manny may have a very hard time even getting to him based on Algeri's movement, long and very fast jab, height, etc. I don't see the fight being a blowout at all. I could certainly be wrong of course, but if Manny wins it will be a good win for him... not the best win of his career, but a solid win... if he doesn't win by robbery.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, most people seem to think this is going to be a very tough fight for Pacquiao indeed. I seem to be in the minority of one thinking this will be one-way traffic! I just think Pacquiao's relentless bursts of punches will just be too much for him to cope with. I also can't see Pacquiao's team seeing this as a tough test. I think they respect him of course, but I don't think they'd risk this fight if they thought it particularly dangerous.

20. Saved_in_Blood

This fight is for another strap for Manny and it can mean the difference in possibly getting the Floyd fight. Floyd had said recently that if Manny could finish Algeri, they would talk. Of course Floyd wants to see him finish Algeri because that means more potential PPV buys. Manny's last 2 fights have been much lower in viewers and most feel he's all but finished.

Algeri has 2 chances to win this fight... KO Manny which isn't likely, or he will have to win every round convincingly. There's no way Algeri gets a decision in China with a fight that is even a little close. He would have to totally dominate Manny.

I still feel Algeri may give Manny fits. Algeri isn't stupid and has wins over some pretty decent opposition, he's quick with a quick jab, he uses distance very well vs. aggressive fighters and even though Provodnikov landed some good punches on Algeri... Chris was able to keep him at a distance, so I think that jab hurts a lot more than his KO record would imply.