Mat Burn

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Frodocious, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Firstly, how does everyone deal with mat burn?

I have a horrible burn on my right big toe (courtesy of Judo last week) and it's really sore! :cry: I need to go Christmas shopping but am putting it off, as walking is really painful at the moment!

Secondly, where is the most common place that you get mat burn?

I find it tends to be my shoulders, feet and elbows.

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya Babes, have you tried Rescue Remedy Cream...it is brilliant!

I don't have the luxury of mats, so I can't help with the second bit.

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Try Sudorcrem or anitseptic creams- I use Germolene for bad stuff as it has a local anaesthetic in so takes the burn out.Put some of that on and cover it over,then when you get back take that off and put sudocrem on to get it healing.
    I tend to get it really bad on my knees and it's a combination I use all the time now.

I feel your pain though. I also had mat burn on my face and ears!!! :D

4. Frodocious

Oooh, nasty! I had a small burn on my cheek a couple of weeks back, but it was nowhere near as bad as the one on my toe at the moment! I think I made it worse by doing a lot of walking the day after I got it and a lovely blister came up.

I'll try both of those solutions you ladies have offered - unfortunately they both require me to hobble to the shop to buy them! :cry:

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oh noooo!!!!

I keep a big tub of Sudocrem in all the time now,plus germolene,I have a nice little 1st aid bag .I also keep that spray on plaster in there- good to spray over healing mat burn so it doesn't get damaged immediately (it stings when you spray it on) and spray on tcp too.

Some may say I have a slight case of ocd!!!

6. Frodocious

You don't have OCD - if you do, that makes me a sufferer as well, because that's the sort of thing I do! I guess I'm going to have to make a trip to Boots and stock up on potions again! The spray on plaster thing sounds like a good idea. I've done the TCP thing with my toe already - the cats are staying well away from me at the moment! :)

7. Nippy43

Nippy43 Valued Member

Aww.. I hate mat burn.. I usually get it doing a warm up or something and like I burn the side of my feet.. Oww.:bang:

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Oh yeah ..

Mat burn rules !!!

How about Gi burn ???

especially around the face area..

Try bringing some baby powder along too ...

regards

Smurf:evil::evil:

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

This stuff is suppossed to help you heal a little faster as well as keeping any wound clean, haven't tried it as yet but it's on a list somewhere. (Not the one to Santa, that has a DBS on it)

http://www.gordons-chemists.com/products/56882

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ah yeah keep meaning to get some of that.

Who knows,I may get some in my stocking ! :D

11. Frodocious

Gi burn round the neck always requires some careful explaining in work!

12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

How about the wife and daughter constantly sporting purple bruising on their arms.
    Don't look at me!!!

regards koyo

13. tanis

tanis Valued Member

Suck it up its part of the game

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah.....good advice!

It's part of the game but nothing wrong with trying to make it better !

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

What a timely thread. smurfy, I HATE gi-burn on the face and neck. Of course the elbow and knee burn and toe and finger burn come a close second. How does baby powder help?

I'm taking in all the suggestions as I've pretty much done nothing about the burn except slap on some vitamin E cream when I remember.

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Hey thanks for all the tips, I never had mat burn before last nights match

[​IMG]

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ouch!

18. Lily

Lily Valued Member

So has anyone considered quitting MA to save their beautiful face from mat or gi burn?

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just wear a gimp mask now when grappling to maintain my stunning looks :D

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hahahaha, just laughing at the image Su :p

I find it funny how upset I get when I see all the scratches, bruises on my face :X I get really p.o'd about the fragility of my skin. How come the guys don't get gi burnt as easily? Or are they just thick skinned?