Massage?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dredleviathan, Feb 26, 2003.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi all,

So I've been feeling a bit stressed both physically and mentally recently - a combination of hard training and work deadlines. I thought I would try and find a place to get a decent massage once a month or so to try and relax a bit as both work and training are suffering (mostly due to lack of concentration).

The problem is that there are so many styles out there that I don't have a clue where to start: shiatsu, swedish, sports, thai yoga, reiki, acupressure blah, blah, blah... its a bit like MA's all over again.

I don't have any injuries as such but just feel generally like I could do with having my muscles loosened off a bit.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be best?

Better still I'm based in North London so if anyone actually knows of decent practitioner that doesn't require me to remortgage my flat I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers,

Dred

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

First, I think massage is great! They're amazing for relaxation, but can be useful for therapy and other healing things, too.

Well, while most Reiki masters that I know (which isn't many) also do massage, Reiki itself isn't massage. It's hard to explain what it is, especially being a layman myself. The best I can come up with is that it's healing through energy transferrence. Seems kinda mystical, and if I hadn't felt it, I would question it. But it does work. There's definitely something going on. But if you're just looking for relaxation, then massage is probably a better option. But, as I mentioned previously, most of the Reiki masters I know also do massage so could probably help you out regardless.

I'd suggest finding out what types of massage you have access to in your area, then going out on the internet and searching for descriptions of the various massage types to see what each has to offer.

Mike

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<It's hard to explain what it is, especially being a layman myself. >
    wat is layman??
    <. The best I can come up with is that it's healing through energy transferrence. Seems kinda mystical, and if I hadn't felt it, I would question it. >
    mm i would say that it's not transferrence but just adjusting of energy levels. u don't actually transfer energy u act as a conductor n provide base for adjusting the energy of patient.

i used to deal with all these but i just never liked it...
    try shaitsu or thai massage it will replenish ur energy levels...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

:) The term originated with the clergy. The "laity" were non-clergy. And it's still used in that way. However, outside of references to clergy, it's used to indicate someone who's unskilled in a particular endeavor.

So, as a computer programmer, I'm not a layman. As a martial artist, I'm not a layman. As a massage therapist or healer, I'm a layman. I have some very rudimentary knowledge in the field, but I'm a long way from having any skill.

Mike

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh thanx for explanation, Mike.
    -TkdWarrior-

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Where's Mike Flanagan? Hey Mike!!!

Please check out the following website of his for further information and hopefully he'll pop onto the thread himself and leave his contribution for you. :)

http://shiatsu.8m.com/

Also a martial arts page which I have just noticed doesn't "at the moment" have a link to us :D...I must find Mike and ask him if he would be able to add us! ;)

http://kyusho-jitsu.freeservers.com/links.htm

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Melanie

I just don't get up as ridiculously early in the morning as you do.:)

You can also try to find a shiatsu practitioner at the UK Shiatsu Society website, which is

www.shiatsu.org

As for whether Shiatsu is the kind of thing you're looking for. Well, it can certainly help most people to relax and is an excellent intervention for stress/tension. But whether its the right sort of 'massage' for you, only you can decide.

As for Reiki, it isn't massage. Reiki practitioners do consider it to be energy transferrence rather than adjusting energy balance. They consider that they are acting as a conduit for universal energy.

Its an old defunct site which I haven't bothered updating in a long long time. I've just never got round to removing it, but I might yet.

Tell you what Melanie, I'll try and update it, but its low down on my list of current projects at the moment.

Mike

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Cheers Mike - no rush - just being naughty is all ;)

9. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Find a nice young lady who know accupressure. That is always nice and works wonders. Trust me!

10. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

Shiatsu always hits the spot for my injuries. My shihan usually does some shiatsu on us "whiny" students who complain about pain and aches...and almost always the pain seems to magically dissipates after a few cracks of the spines and pressing of pressure points. Shiatsu/ Tsubo can cure and help a number of different ailments, ranging from headaches to toothache to back pains. oh and of course it's also a relaxing and loosening therapy...so yea ,try it!!

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

if you just want to relax and get loosened up, full body swedish is very nice, and very easy to find. I go frequently... well less frequently since my girlfriend moved in with me (she's not trained but she's charges very little and always has an open time slot for me!)

12. Kaisodave

Kaisodave New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I have no clue if you have yet received a response to your request in respect to finding a massage source, that will not require you to re-mortgage your home. Well put by the way, as the $$$ factor is quite an inflatted thing when it comes to something as enticing as the martial arts, foreign massage methods, etc, etc. People buy the most of what they know nothing about, and those who provide such, milk it very heavily.

Actually, if one is experienced in both Shiatsu and Reiki methods, then they can often do as much to themselves as any individual giving them a massage could. There are techniques that you can use to benefit both your body and mind, and leave you feeling very relaxed and ready to go.

Problem is, alot of people in need are obviously in need because they do not have these skills, or they wouldn't not be asking for assistence. Then the other problem is the money that one with the skills tries to milk from the one in need.

I happen to be one of those instructors the world hates, as I know what I am doing in many areas, and I give it all away for free, because I beleive well being is a natural right, not a corporate golden nugget.

Long story short my friend, send me an email if you'd like. I can help, and it won't cost you a dime.

Take care.

13. Kat

Kat Valued Member

If its your first try I would go a oiled Aromatheraphy massage, with the emphasis being on relaxation.For MA people I feel Thai massage is excellent because it involves passive stretches as well as stimulating energy meridians.
    If money is a factor track down a college of Massage/Alternative Medicne as they are sure to have a trainee clinic,its a bit of risk(sometimes you get a good one sometimes no) but the rates are usually well below half price.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

acupressure is really great.

i see once or twice a month a guy who massages athletes and i love it.

the most important thing is that u find people who do it professionally, who know what they r doing.

15. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I would disagree there - it is very difficult to apply physical relaxation techniques on oneself as by doing so one is no longer relaxing fully. Having been qualified in sports massage, I would strongly recommend it to anyone (sportsperson or otherwise) as a scientifically based system of relaxation/ rejuvination, also very useful for injuries.

However, my main advice would be to try out two or three different techniques and see which one you gain the greatest benefit from.

16. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

my mom is a massage theorapist and does very deep massage and that is good fr people like me who are always messing up my muscles she can get out all the nots out but if ur just looken fr a relaxing massage then go with soft stuff but i have to suggest deep stuff expessillay if u are training very hard

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I had some deep tissue massage/sports massage done on my back when I injured it. At first it kinda hurt a little, after a few weeks it got a lot better.

Shaolin Dragon, I get your point about self massage being no good for relaxation, but is it any good for helping with sports injuries, since that not about relaxation? I remember reading some running articles that recommended it as part of a warm up/cool down. Whats your opinion?

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Our instructor was also an instructor of accupressure in Korea. He teaches us some basic methods at the end of our TKD sessions. Its really terrific.

19. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I'm lucky enough to have one of my friends who's fully qualified in sports massage. Most of the time i'll just have a normal relaxing massage which always does wonders for me.

Sometimes if i feel like i have overdone the training then she will give me a sports massage. Very painful, but brilliant for recovery (especially when she uses her elbows on my hamstrings..) I have a massage probably 2-3 times a month seeing as i don't have to pay for them, otherwise i could only afford one every now and then.