Mass protests & riots happening over murder by police officers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, May 31, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

army no, national guard yes. if military where to be called in it would be the National Guard, not the regular US Army

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia

Looks like the national guard has to be called in by the state governed, they can't be called in by the president.

3. Xue Sheng

army no, national guard yes. if military where to be called in it would be the National Guard, not the regular US Army
    yup, the state "calls out" the national guard.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

So is the state governed a trump acolyte?

5. Xue Sheng

Generally no, But it can depend on political affiliation, and aspirations, of the governor of the state. In a state like Minnesota it is unlikely, and it would be highly unlikely in New York. But even in states with Governors of the same party, it is not a given that they would listen to the president in this matter.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

12 states have called out the National Guard. Republican and Democrat governors.

Dead_pool and Xue Sheng like this.
  7. Dead_pool

In total or just recently?

The Minnesota governor is not a republican.

Tim Walz - Wikipedia

8. David Harrison

I'm surprised this took so long to happen.

The Trump administration removed Obama-era consent decrees, used to reduce civil rights violations of problem police departments.

Who remembers Trump telling cops that being rough is okay, they shouldn't be so nice and should, for example, hit suspects' heads against the car when arresting them?

There is definite agent provocateur work being done, as Aaradia posted. For anyone who didn't follow her links, here is the video of what sparked the property damage and violence in Minneapolis (warning - there is bad language in this clip):

On or off-duty cop? White nationalist agitator? Both?

9. David Harrison

Recently, in response to the George Floyd protests.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Double post sorry

11. David Harrison

I was watching a Hard2Hurt video the other day, Icy Mike who hosts it was a police officer and in SWAT. He was talking to another cop and saying that he has complete faith in US police training for two scenarios: if a person is 100% compliant, and if a bad guy is shooting at them and trying to kill them. For every scenario in-between he thinks they are woefully unprepared.

Sounds about right.

ned and Southpaw535 like this.
  12. Dead_pool

13. David Harrison

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Let's ask old trump what he thinks??

ff578d9.png

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That video gives me chills. I've seen some people saying he was a protestor but I HIGHLY doubt it. 100% looks like a police officer not only because he is so methodical but also because of the way he carried himself when confronted.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I watch a fair amount of bodycam videos from US police and, for what very small pool of evidence that shows you, its very much the impression I've been given. Seems gun are treated as a one size fits all solution to all problems. But then when you also have states where citizens have stand your ground laws (the number of suicide by cop or mentally unstable people I've seen be killed immediately with no attempt to retreat or de-escalate the situation is ridiculous), police covering each other, seemingly being investigated by their own, coroners investigating shootings able to be high ranking police officers etc etc etc, it just seems like a huge dumpster fire.

As for this situation itself, this seems worse than any of the protests I can remember seeing over the last few years and it does feel like something tipped over. Wondering if this could be the start of seeing a return to the race riots of old.

Coverage wise its all pretty standard. Has been interesting seeing there was a turnout in London to protest it, which is an interesting turn seeing a foreign demonstration over a purely domestic policing issue.

And the usual black/white view on social media of either supporting all use of force and labelling black people as thugs, or being called a bootlicker because you think looting and arson are also crimes and maybe can also be condemned

ned and David Harrison like this.
  17. Dead_pool

It's almost as of they should pay attention to non violent protests.

David Harrison and Xue Sheng like this.
  18. Dead_pool

"The National Guard - the US reserve military force for domestic emergencies - said on Sunday that 5,000 of its personnel had been activated in 15 states and Washington DC. It added that "state and local law enforcement agencies remain responsible for security"."

Floyd death was 'premeditated murder' - US lawyer

19. Dead_pool

20. Dead_pool

ned and David Harrison like this.