Mass Exodus of the U.K

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 23, 2019.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You forgot Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha...

Smitfire and Dead_pool like this.
  2. David Harrison

...and let's not forget that Queen Elizabeth II is the reigning head of state for the Commonwealth realms of Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu: Commonwealth realm - Wikipedia

3. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

IMHO it's all gone bananas, the majority of the citizens voted to leave, the majority of the politicians want to stay, so they have mucked it up, messed around until we get to the point we don't have enough time to legally to do either so an extention will be asked for, more uncertainty.
    Luckily for me I am a horticulturalist, and I grow my own stock so either way not going to matter much, I have no problems with immigration, but when the French are not allowed to fish their own waters but the English can, then something has gone wrong somewhere.

mod note - Please remember the rules about using profanity, masked or otherwise. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2019
  4. David Harrison

I think no-one bothered to actually consider all the ramifications, especially that it might not be possible without giving Northern Ireland back.

The leave campaign felt they could promise the world because they never expected to win. It was a bluff to gain power within the Tory party, and that bluff was called.

I don't believe the negotiators have mucked around on purpose, I think they were not prepared or equipped to deal with sensible and modest negotiations, let alone an impossible deal that would satisfy the majority of leave voters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2019
    Southpaw535 likes this.
  5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'd like to see another referendum to get this decided one way or the other this year.
    3 choices:

No deal
    Mays deal
    Remain as we are

As it stands we are barreling towards end of march, and no one is none the wiser of where we will be at that point. It's a mess and I have no confidence whatsoever in our politicians being able to compromise with eachother and forge a way forward..

Propose a month transition period from after march 29th, so nothing is formally triggered for a further Month - If we are still at no deal by then. Set up a referendum for middle of April and then live or die by the outcome as it gets triggered end of April.

Done, end of. We get on with our lives.
    Doubt it will happen, but I can dream..

It makes the most sense to me atm; the politicians have had their best go, no resolution so take it back to the people.
    Simples right?

David Harrison likes this.
  6. David Harrison

It's been complicated even further by the Conservative majority hanging on the DUP, who represent less than 1% of the electorate.

Old bloke likes this.
  7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Which is something I find hilarious in a sobbing sort of way, that I spend a lot of my time being told how leaving is so important because it was democratically voted for, yet the DUP have thrown more than one spanner in the works being hard leavers, while representing a nation that voted to remain.

Old bloke and David Harrison like this.
  8. David Harrison

And as for leaving under WTO rules, I like Mark Steel's take on that:

Opinion: Project Fear will threaten to instal a volcano in Hemel Hempstead next

Southpaw535 likes this.
  9. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

I agree, probably why when the politicians speak on the news, all I hear is that circus music, did dee diddly

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I know its satire, but the whole "the EU is an unelected dictatorship" thing might be my biggest 'trigger' of the entire issue. That, and how often I'm told I'm wrong when I point out how the EU actually works. Like sure, I'll just rip up my degree in the subject and forget the year I spent with this as my go-to subject because you read something Farage or the Mail said.

David Harrison likes this.
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The irony has been killing me slowly for months.

Southpaw535 likes this.
  12. David Harrison

It also stuns people when they point to EU legislation that they find abhorrent, then you tell them that MEPs from the UK voted for it. Mainly that's Article 13 and right wingers upset that they might not be able to post memes...

Southpaw535 likes this.
  13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I also looked at the possibility of us moving to New Zealand. With a mortgage, kids and solid employement it is harder decision to commit to.

@Pretty In Pink Certainly take the option if it's something you desire, whilst you are young it is a great opportunity. :)

On the contrary to some, it actually made me think that leaving now would be a bad option for us.

I can certainly speak for many when I say we're all sick of the whole scenario!

cloudz and Pretty In Pink like this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't imagine anything more annoying than being lectured on something you have a degree in by someone who doesn't even hold a firm grasp of what rational conversation is.

Must be like people telling you "I'm too dangerous for MMA".

Van Zandt, Southpaw535 and axelb like this.
  15. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I might be going back!

I don't think you can even imagine how worried myself and other ex-pats are right now about the whole situation...and how embarrassed of our fine nation, politicians and citizens we are. A lot of ex-pats I have spoke to about the issue are suffering from stress, anxiety, panic attacks etc etc and have had to go on medication to function remotely normally.

I left the UK in '99, moved to Finland permanently in about 2001 and if things go bad, I might have to leave and either return to the UK or look at somewhere else to move to (I really don't want to move back to England) and it could basically screw up my life.

A fair few countries have stated that they will protect the rights of British citizens resident in their country even if a No Deal happens, this includes our neighbours, Sweden and Estonia (Estonia??? Even Malta have said that same!), Finland has been really slow to say anything and reassure Brits living here. Today they released a statement saying that Brits will be ok for two years and depending on what happens, the situation will be reassessed. So, yeah, nice to have that uncertainty over your head for the next two years if things go badly.

I work part time and earn very little money. On top of that I have a zero-hour contract, I'm not married and have no kids....so it's not going to look that good if I have to start getting new residency permits. I can't really work in the UK, so moving back to the UK means I'll probably be unemployed. I'll probably have to retrain and I have no idea what to do or how I could use my qualifications or skills and I'll also be close to 50 by the time I have retrained. On top of that I have absolutely no money and no place really to live. Moving back to the UK is really not an option. My whole life is here, I have no interest in giving everything up and moving to another country.

I'm learning Swedish at the moment (Finland is bilingual), so I can hopefully get citizenship in the future (I need to pass a language test, I'll do it in Swedish as Finnish is brutal). I always said I'd never get rid of my UK passport, dual citizenship is fine though, and but after all this Brexit lark and the utter stupidity of the vast majority of English people...I'd be quite happy to hand in my British citizenship.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Pretty In Pink likes this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There seems to be a load of people in this country that if they decided to drink in a particular pub, that turned out to be awful, would doggedly sit there choking down a horrible pint just because that was the decision they made at the start of the night.

Right from the very start this should have been a 2 stage referendum (at least) where the details as well as the initial decision should have been voted for.

No one was informed enough (or even could be informed enough) to blindly make a choice on what leaving the eu actually meant or means. It was, and is, an unquantifiable situation.

cloudz and axelb like this.
  17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

They do here too. It's just Englanti to a lot of people and that covers England, the UK and GB. There is Iso-Britannia and Yhdistynyt Kunningaskunta*, but a lot of people don't bother using the terms. There was a big push a few years back to start using the proper terms where applicable.

*have fun with that one.

18. David Harrison

[​IMG]

19. David Harrison

Well that sucks!

Hope things work out okay for you.

Bozza Bostik likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I know this is pedantic, but that's not true. The majority of people who voted, voted leave 51. 89% vs 48.11%, but not everyone who could vote did vote, (turn out was 72.21%). Its a small point, but it's quite an important one, especially when your dealing with such a small margin (less then 1% swing) on the 'winning' side.

bassai likes this.